Speculation: Will Hanzal Be Traded? (Hanzal Speculation)

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
This Hanzal talk kind of came late and out of left field. To be honest, i salivate at the thought of what we could get for him. A healthy Hanzal is a scary player. It would be a tough loss, but in my opinion, the best thing to do. His value is never higher than what it is now, and with his constant injury woes, plus players like Dvorak and Strome coming to the big leagues, we could sign someone that plays a strong defensive game like Hanzal (or develop someone like Gaudet) and just rely on Strome and Dvorak for offense. He would be a good mentor for the kids, but Max Domi and Duclair didn't need mentors to be successful.

Discuss.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This Hanzal talk kind of came late and out of left field. To be honest, i salivate at the thought of what we could get for him. A healthy Hanzal is a scary player. It would be a tough loss, but in my opinion, the best thing to do. His value is never higher than what it is now, and with his constant injury woes, plus players like Dvorak and Strome coming to the big leagues, we could sign someone that plays a strong defensive game like Hanzal (or develop someone like Gaudet) and just rely on Strome and Dvorak for offense. He would be a good mentor for the kids, but Max Domi and Duclair didn't need mentors to be successful.

Discuss.
I don't see it happening. A playoff team would have to give up a huge part (Shattenkirk?) to get Hanzal. He's not going for picks/prospects...we have plenty of those already.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It would have to be a hockey trade, and I don't see any team giving it up just yet.

Besides, Strome is not a bonafide #1 in the NHL yet. Hanzal can fill that role for now.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Voted no although I think it would be a great time and idea to do it now. While he's at peak value. Just like the OP said, I salivate to think what he would return

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd prefer Hanzal to stick around at least another 12 months. We have to have somebody who can draw some coverage away from Strome. I also love Domi and Duclair on his line. Very nice security blanket. Does all the dirty work. I feel like he's invaluable to these three assets, and their development. That's worth everything to this team. He's not our franchise player, but he's critical to their success. So I say keep him.

If the Washington chatter is true, I want a King's ransom. I want no less than what Yandle returned. If Hanzal goes to the Caps, he better return at least Madison Bowey, a 1st, and a 2nd.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My fear is we hold on to Hanzal too long, he gets hurt, and we're left with a worthless asset.

rt

May 13, 2004
My fear is we hold on to Hanzal too long, he gets hurt, and we're left with a worthless asset.

Domi and Duclair hopefully get the rest of this season and most of next(hopefully?) with him. Strome and Dvorak(assuming they make the squad) benefit from his presence next season, too. At least until he's injured long-term or traded. There is a risk in NOT dealing him if you have a huge offer on the table because he is so injury prone. But the risk in dealing him is no small think. You move Hanzal and Boedker and you probably lose any chance of being appealing to any decent UFAs. Which leave us a team of extraordinarily young NHL players and a few very, very old NHL players. Sometimes you get the Panthers and sometimes you get the Oilers with that mix. It's scary.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I dunno. Doan is attractive to UFAs, as is OEL. The league has seen the highlights of Domi and Duclair this season, and players may want to be a part of that. Players want to play for Tippett.

That said, are we even big UFA shoppers this summer? At most an LHD (possibly Yandle, and whether Hanzal is in AZ doesn't factor into his signing decision) and a top-6 RW. Two signings at most. Other needs addressed via trade or rookies.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
It'll have to be a clear overpayment, but anything is possible, especially given GMDM is a wizard on the trade front. If he hears something he loves, he's not going to hesitate. I honestly believe that now is the best possible time to trade Hanzal and get the absolute best return. That being said, he could be extremely important in guiding the likes of Strome and Dvorak into the NHL. Strong argument for both sides of the coin, but the trade deadline is an unpredictable monster. We'll just have to wait and see.

rt

May 13, 2004
We'd need a pretty good center and a pretty good D. And yeah, I think selling everything not nailed down for the 2nd year in a row is a pretty telling sign to UFAs and players with NTC/NMCs (even Keith Yandle, who wouldn't want to sign up for another five years of no playoffs if the kids don't turn out)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The majority of players care about coaches, the city, and the contract offered. A team's fate can change in half a season. The Coyotes get the #1 pick and it's a complete non issue.

There's no sterling FA out there the Coyotes would be targeting that is THAT finicky.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I don't see it happening. A playoff team would have to give up a huge part (Shattenkirk?) to get Hanzal. He's not going for picks/prospects...we have plenty of those already.
I think there's a play where a team desperate to win this year empties out the AHL.

Maybe DET wants one more push with Zetterberg and Datsyuk so they offer Sproul and Hicketts and one of their 22 yr old centers. Not really their organizational MO, but I'm just saying. At the risk of ending up with a handful of Lucas Lessios and Brandon Gormleys, if there's a trade to get a veteran replacement warm body C, a futurenow C and a futurenow RHD ....

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sheahan is an ideal warm body that can be kept after this year. Hadn't thought about the Wings but they have some ammo.

Sara's latest article makes it sound like there was an ideological shift spurned on by the five losses in a row.

Ownership might be salivating at the thought of Matthews.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
If the Washington chatter is true, I want a King's ransom. I want no less than what Yandle returned. If Hanzal goes to the Caps, he better return at least Madison Bowey, a 1st, and a 2nd.

The Washington deal would be kinda tough considering they don't have a 2nd round pick this year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I can see us bowing out of the playoff race, but I don't think we'd be nearly as bad as last year to tank into the top 3.

Top 5 we could probably lose our way into.

Post Hanzal and Boedker, the team will be terrible. #3 spot is doable, Jets only 4 points behind. It's really about just bettering your odds.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ugh....I really really hope not. IMO trading Hanzal before Strome or Dvorak have even stepped on NHL ice is a bad idea. Sure it could work out in spades but it could also backfire tremendously.
Too. Much. Risk.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Not traded tomorrow. A playoff team will not give up any NHL players we would want in a trade. We have 7 rookies on the roster now, with 2 or 3 more coming next year. We don't need more prospects and picks. We need more vets like Hanzal that are proven. I get the injury thing but besides that, no reason to so this. The team is starting to turn the corner this year, unlike last years full on tank when we traded Yandle. Also, Yandle as our third best D was way less valuable then our best C in Hanzal. We missed Yandle big time this year, you can multiply that times 2 if Hanzal is gone next year.

If Hanzal gets moved, the summer makes more sense. We could package him for a 2D/3D and a serviceable center we would need while we cross our fingers and hope Strome/Davorak work out.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Post Hanzal and Boedker, the team will be terrible. #3 spot is doable, Jets only 4 points behind. It's really about just bettering your odds.
If the Coyotes end picking 5th, will 2 1st Rd picks (#5, NYR 1st) plus a top prospect not named Strome be enough to move to #1OA?

Dvorak, AZ 1st and NYR 1st for #10A?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
If the Coyotes end picking 5th, will 2 1st Rd picks (#5, NYR 1st) plus a top prospect not named Strome be enough to move to #1OA?

Dvorak, AZ 1st and NYR 1st for #10A?

I wouldn't do that. The upgrade to Matthews from Dvorak isn't #5 overall.

If you had to ask me whether to pick Matthews or Dvorak, my head would tell you Dvorak, but my heart would say Matthews.

We can all agree the Matthews is going to be an insane scorer when he hits this league.

But Dvorak has the experience under his belt and can play a better two-way game right now and possibly down the road. He could maybe become our next defensive center for all that we know.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chychrun/Trouba/Barrie, Keller, Dvorak > Matthews.

Wins you more games now and I'd argue it'd do the same in the long run. I wouldn't be surprised if Dvorak made THN's top 15 or so for future watch. He's good.

The only team that would really deal Matthews if they landed on him is Edmonton anyways.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We have a lot of C depth, so I do not mind kicking the tires here.

We know what we have with Vermette and Richardson. Strome and Dvorak are unknowns, but with highly favorable attributes. I may be in the minority here, but I really like Gaudet in a 4th line role. He has had a couple of shifts in games where his speed and quickness have surprised me.

My thought is that Strome and Dvorak are likely to pushed into bigger minutes in 1.5 years anyhow, so would it hurt that much to accelerate that process, especially when Strome and Dvorak are probably the two best prospects both on the team and in the league right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad