Will DW See Action in the Free Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You think Stalocks going somewhere? And besides, you still have to replace those bodies. They aren't exactly expensive. Even Torres is only 2 mil. Teams usually carry 23 players, no?

Assuming with the AHL team in San Jose, there would be little need for 23 players.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Assuming with the AHL team in San Jose, there would be little need for 23 players.

Yeah, that's not true. They do go on road trips and there are other reasons. We'll see. I could see them trying to stay at 22 and maybe do the paperwork every time they come back or have a 3 day break. We'll see. That really sucks for some of the players though. Do you really want to treat them like that?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I said who knows, but you have to think he's going after one of Sekera/Green/Franson, and may have serious talks with whoever shows the most interest in coming here. My gut says Franson is the most affordable for the Sharks.

Also, signing someone like Lubo would be a typical DW move. The two conference finals trips in the past decade had Rob Blake on the blue line. FTF's article on Dmen to target makes a case that, when healthy, Lubo has still got it even at 39 years old. Lubo also takes pressure off Mueller and adds depth. Could be someone to give sheltered minutes to during the season and then ride him in the playoffs. He also may (should?) come cheap.

Vlasic-Franson
Dillon-Burns
Lubo-Braun

looks very interesting and also would give us interesting options for the point on PP units. It's also quite "doable" by DW tomorrow.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Doubtful Stalock gets sent down or Brown gets traded.

I see Stalock in competition for the starting job with Jones, but giving up a #1 draft pick for either a prospect or backup goalie so far seems nuts. So I doubt DW will allow Stalock to be the starting goalie unless Alex wins it by a country mile.

In fact, I am more convinced DW is going to make some FA acquisitions. Giving up a #1 draft pick for anyone who is not elite or nearly so seems nuts. Like I said, he's going to cover his *huge* bet on Jones with an acquisition he sees will help tilt the balance of power in the division.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I see Stalock in competition for the starting job with Jones, but giving up a #1 draft pick for either a prospect or backup goalie so far seems nuts. So I doubt DW will allow Stalock to be the starting goalie unless it's by a country mile.

In fact, I am more convinced DW is going to make some FA acquisitions. Giving up a #1 draft pick for anyone who is not elite or nearly so seems nuts. Like I said, he's going to cover his *huge* bet on Jones with an acquisition he sees will help tilt the balance of power in the division.

Stalock's the backup, no doubt about that.

12 hours until we find out...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
"free agent asset" is a pretty broad term.

I will bet that he spends less than 3 million/year on true UFA/unqualified RFAs this offseason.

DW said today that he is going to target a defenseman through FA or trade

When and where was this said?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
DW said today that he is going to target a defenseman through FA or trade

He likely already knows who he is signing because he's been talking to them all week. So if he says he's targeting a defender, it's likely already 'done'.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
DW NEEDS to be active in Free Agency this offseason. We have a clear need on defense and a surplus of cap space. And above all, his job is clearly on the line.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
DW NEEDS to be active in Free Agency this offseason. We have a clear need on defense and a surplus of cap space. And above all, his job is clearly on the line.

I worry that we might strike out in free agency. I'm really scared that we do.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

After aggressively going after goaltender Martin Jones, Doug Wilson says #SJSharks are not done yet.

from sharks twitter.. so ya, probably

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I worry that we might strike out in free agency. I'm really scared that we do.

One guy that's not being talked about is Beauchemin

I think we're in a really good position to sign him because A, we can throw the money at him B, we're in Cali

That might be all it takes if he doesn't want to move. (It's been reported he won't re-sign with Anaheim)

If we come out with Beauchemin and Jones and 2 blue chip prospects, I'd be pretty damn happy with the offseason.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
One guy that's not being talked about is Beauchemin

I think we're in a really good position to sign him because A, we can throw the money at him B, we're in Cali

That might be all it takes if he doesn't want to move. (It's been reported he won't re-sign with Anaheim)

If we come out with Beauchemin and Jones and 2 blue chip prospects, I'd be pretty damn happy with the offseason.

Beauchemin is a bottom/2nd pairing player looking for 5M. Him and Belesky would be who I would avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad