Will DW See Action in the Free Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Normally, I'd vote no in this case, but with DW trading the 2016 1st round pick for Jones, I'm saying yes because he'll need to cover that bet. Plus, he has the cap room.

So I think he'll look at talented 2-way forwards, and defensemen. We all know the usual names and have talked about it in the other thread.

The wild card, though, is Deboer who may have a some other favorite.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Everyone is screaming for Doug to get one of Sekera/Green/Franson, so I'll go out on a limb and say he'll get Visnovskiy and Eric Fehr.

Doug just isn't willing to pony up for FA's, he needs an assistant that will push him for it. If it happens I'll be surprised but delighted.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Everyone is screaming for Doug to get one of Sekera/Green/Franson, so I'll go out on a limb and say he'll get Visnovskiy and Eric Fehr.

Doug just isn't willing to pony up for FA's, he needs an assistant that will push him for it. If it happens I'll be surprised but delighted.

I think that DW has generally been willing to pony up money, but not term. He's the kind of GM who would rather pay 9 million to Green for one year than pay 7 million/year for 6 years...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think that DW has generally been willing to pony up money, but not term. He's the kind of GM who would rather pay 9 million to Green for one year than pay 7 million/year for 6 years...

Hilariously, that means Ehrhoff is the ideal target. He wants a shot at the Cup more than term.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
We have about $10M in cap space and just one defenseman to get. I sure hope so.

This right here. Would also be nice to add a veteran forward for depth alone, Williams for example "IF" for low dollars. But, if we walk away with a solid D tomorrow, then that would be good enough and complete the two pressing needs we had to tackle, the goalie and a D.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Let's hope DW hasn't been coveting Beauchemin for the past several years and is now excited to give him a 5 year, 6 mill per deal or something. You know DW loves adding players past his prime that he coveted a decade ago.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Do the Sharks actually have 10 million in space? Doing the math, and assuming they have a #7 d-man and just one extra forward, I am thinking it is more like 9 million. I guess if Torres is out they'll save an extra million+...

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Do the Sharks actually have 10 million in space? Doing the math, and assuming they have a #7 d-man and just one extra forward, I am thinking it is more like 9 million. I guess if Torres is out they'll save an extra million+...

We've spent 60,425,835 on 11 Forwards, 5 D and 2G without Torres or Muller being counted and Tenny on the team. We probably have closer to 6 maybe 7 mil.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
When your owner comes out and says we need a couple of defensemen and new 4th line, Wilson is going to get those assets one way or another.

If DW's in of Franson, awesome. That's all you can ask for. Hopefully he brings in a legit Top 4 d-man. Would love any of Green, Ehrhoff, Martin, and Sekera. Bartowski and Moore I feel so so about. Bring in two of those guys and DW is GM of the year.

I'm most worried about who comes in on that 4th line, especially with the rfa forwards the sharks did not retain. Feel a Jarret Stoll signing coming.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
For D, we could use a slight upgrade on Dillon for the 2nd LD so Dillon plays the 3rd LD slot and for RD, we need an upgrade over Tennyson or Fedun as the 3rd RD. That's how I see it.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Looks like you have Torres there....that would be an extra 2 million, plus if the Sharks get another defenseman, one of Stollery/Mueller is out, so an extra .6-.9 million.

I edited my post, but You still usually carry an extra D man and Forward. And you have to account for LTIR until we know whether Torres is done or not. Somebody will need to take Torres spot regardless.

I still think you don't want to be right at the CAP all year, so I'd say 6 to 7 would be tops for a Dman.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Really makes no sense if he doesn't get a big name this year. Give away your 1st next year and not go for it? Either DW is signing one of the big FA d men or he will acquire a young D in a trade IMO.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Really makes no sense if he doesn't get a big name this year. Give away your 1st next year and not go for it? Either DW is signing one of the big FA d men or he will acquire a young D in a trade IMO.

He can still do something in between and go for it at the TDL depending. He doesn't need to go all out on a UFA if the deal isn't right. This is still a long term plan.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I edited my post, but You still usually carry an extra D man and Forward. And you have to account for LTIR until we know whether Torres is done or not. Somebody will need to take Torres spot regardless.

I still think you don't want to be right at the CAP all year, so I'd say 6 to 7 would be tops for a Dman.

I think if you have Torres, the need for an extra forward goes down.

Also, I can see contracts like Stalock and Brown's ready for purging.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I think if you have Torres, the need for an extra forward goes down.

Also, I can see contracts like Stalock and Brown's ready for purging.

You think Stalocks going somewhere? And besides, you still have to replace those bodies. They aren't exactly expensive. Even Torres is only 2 mil. Teams usually carry 23 players, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad