Speculation: Will Dubas trade away our 1st and 2nd round picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
...for the foreseeable future?

What I mean by this is are we going to be tweaking for the next 5 years?

I think most of us can see some areas that need to be addressed eventually: no guarantees that Rielly and Andersen will be around. Does Toronto want to think about 1 & 2 D + 1 G down the road? What about the future of our PK?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think he will to help bolster the team's chances at a Cup. And I'd be in support of it considering where the team is right now.

Also, it's not like he can't recoup those picks in other transactions. The team has enough quality assets that he could grab back a few seconds, and possible a 1st here or there depending on what asset(s) he is willing to trade without compromising the team's current situation.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I think most of us can see some areas that need to be addressed eventually: no guarantees that Rielly and Andersen will be around. Does Toronto want to think about 1 & 2 D + 1 G down the road? What about the future of our PK?

How are the Leafs going to afford the salaries of the players brought in for 1st and 2nd rounders?

Reactions: Confucius

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I'm not a fan of trading away 1st round picks in the cap era unless it's for someone high end or something you don't have in your system.

For example we have very little at RHD. Trading a 1st to fill that void makes sense. Trading a 1st to add an elite player that will fit in your cap long term also makes sense. What the GM of the Leafs did was trade our 1st (plus TWO 2nds) for a middle of the road LHD which is a position we already have covered. Is the player significantly better than Gardiner? I would say no. Did he have a major impact this year? No not at all. Did he help us get far in the playoffs? Nope.

So those types of mistakes should not be repeated. I'm scared to see what type of talent is waiting at that part of the draft. Hopefully we didn't pass up on something really helpful to the franchise for a piece that likely is gone next summer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You can't just trade picks in a cap world.
If money comes in, money has to go out.

Reactions: diceman934

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Well he just traded this year's first and our most NHL ready forward prospect so yes, he's shown a willingness to sacrifice the future to win now.

No reason to think that won't continue, especially as he's faced with the pressure of surrounding 4 players taking up half our capspace with some talent.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's nice to fill the arsenal with young cheap talent but at the same time we are in the spot where we have to go for it more. We are no longer a rebuilding team so he is going to try and give us that extra piece as much as he can.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There can be enough of a difference at times between 1st and 2nd rounders. Lamoriello traded a 1st for a long term addition in Andersen. Dubas traded a 1st for Muzzin, who will hopefully also be a Leaf for some time. Not necessarily indicative that trading high picks will be commonplace.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Isn't every team tweaking every year?
...and why wouldn't Rielly be around for a long long time? He's incredibly important and young.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Isn't every team tweaking every year?
...and why wouldn't Rielly be around for a long long time? He's incredibly important and young.

He will likely be around, BUT BUT BUT we have a top heavy payroll going towards forwards (for the foreseeable future). Will Dubas fit Rielly and Andersen under the cap?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He will likely be around, BUT BUT BUT we have a top heavy payroll going towards forwards (for the foreseeable future). Will Dubas fit Rielly and Andersen under the cap?
100% sure he will with Rielly.
Andersen is also likely to come back, but it depends on Scott/Woll/ and the contract obviously

Reactions: diceman934

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
as long as it's a quality deal like Muzzin that addressed a need. In that case we even got extra value because he had another year left.

as for "the forseeable future", no. there aren't enough deals like that that make sense every single season.

Reactions: exporta and SprDaVE

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
as long as it's a quality deal like Muzzin that addressed a need. In that case we even got extra value because he had another year left.

as for "the forseeable future", no. there aren't enough deals like that that make sense every single season.

We needed a LHD? You must have the same issue with left and right that our GM does.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
So now Rielly is leaving?! This fan base has to be the most depressing fan base in pro sports. Why even follow the Leafs if all you do is worry and wallow in misery? Isn't sports supposed to be about hope and foolish optimism which makes it fun. We all have our real life rationality and worry.

Reactions: Coatsy79 and meefer

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
So now Rielly is leaving?! This fan base has to be the most depressing fan base in pro sports. Why even follow the Leafs if all you do is worry and wallow in misery? Isn't sports supposed to be about hope and foolish optimism which makes it fun. We all have our real life rationality and worry. Sports is supposed to be an escape.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
All of the Leafs needs should have been addressed by Dubas in his first year :huh:

How about he just addresses any of our needs.

RHD? Nope

4th line C? Nope

Made backup goalie position a disaster

Made nylander a disaster

He did overpay for two years of yet another LHD. I guess in some circles that's helpful. I hear he was real critical in us getting good tee times at Glenn Abby though. Wasn't a difference maker on the ice unfortunately.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

RHD? Nope

4th line C? Nope

Made nylander a disaster

He did overpay for two years of yet another LHD. I guess in some circles that's helpful. I hear he was real critical in us getting good tee times at Glenn Abby though. Wasn't a difference maker on the ice unfortunately.

Brought in a top 4 D to replace Gardiner...the rest are not even worth responding to. 4C, back up goalie? Who cares.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

RHD? Nope

4th line C? Nope

Made nylander a disaster

LOL. Holy moley are you ever hysterical. :laugh::laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The suggestion that Muzzin can be considered "middle of the road" is completely laughable and shouldn't be taken seriously for a second.

He was by far the best D man traded this season by any team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldnt expect any to be traded unless they're for a core level impact player (like Muzzin a clear 2-3# D man).

The analytics community has been fairly critical of moving 1st-3rd round picks for depth players so I wouldnt expect that to happen often.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Muzzin is a decent 2nd pairing guy, surprisingly makes a lot of mistakes, needs to be resigned or it was a brutal trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad