Speculation: Will Dubas trade away our 1st and 2nd round picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
as long as it's a quality deal like Muzzin that addressed a need. In that case we even got extra value because he had another year left.

as for "the forseeable future", no. there aren't enough deals like that that make sense every single season.

Re: extra value

There's two sides to that coin.

One could also just as easily say that a player with greater than 2 years (or 1 1/2 years) of term on his contract was more desirable. Then there's the LD versus RD scenario as well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Brought in a top 4 D to replace Gardiner...the rest are not even worth responding to. 4C, back up goalie? Who cares.
He has to re-sign Muzzin otherwise the cost to acquire a 1 year replacement was a 1st, Grundstrom, prospect and Gardiner.

So if Muzzin is an upgrade that stays, great. If not, you patched the same hole while the same remain.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Brought in a top 4 D to replace Gardiner...the rest are not even worth responding to. 4C, back up goalie? Who cares.

The backup goalie and/or the nylander mistakes could have cost us a Cup because we didn't get home ice. I liked our chances against Carolina and the isles.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He has to re-sign Muzzin otherwise the cost to acquire a 1 year replacement was a 1st, Grundstrom, prospect and Gardiner.

So if Muzzin is an upgrade that stays, great. If not, you patched the same hole while the same remain.

Or you keep Gardiner and the additional assets.

Or you recognize that Dermott or Sandin are likely our future second pair LHD.

What we needed, what the coach asked for was help on the right side. The young GM paid out the rectum for help at a position we already have filled. Oops.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Well he just traded this year's first and our most NHL ready forward prospect so yes, he's shown a willingness to sacrifice the future to win now.

No reason to think that won't continue, especially as he's faced with the pressure of surrounding 4 players taking up half our capspace with some talent.

But Muzzin still has a year on his contract, and I also fully expect him to be re-signed after next year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The suggestion that Muzzin can be considered "middle of the road" is completely laughable and shouldn't be taken seriously for a second.

He was by far the best D man traded this season by any team.

way ahead of you there:laugh:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think it is impossible to know how often deals will come around that will merit moving the picks but Dubas has always said his first choice are guys with term and we only need so many of those. Time will tell but I have no problem with the Muzzin deal.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
He will likely be around, BUT BUT BUT we have a top heavy payroll going towards forwards (for the foreseeable future). Will Dubas fit Rielly and Andersen under the cap?
Seems like Gardiner was always leaving when we got Muzzin. There's always room for at least 1 top end Defence insert Rielly. Then when you get a 2nd top end defense you make room for that type of player. 10 years of playoffs is what we want.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ya, Muzzin was a disaster filling in on LD while Gards and Dermott got seriously injured, leading to a very favourable chance of defeating whoever was left after we pushed Boston aside with Rielly and Marincin backed by Rosen. Sheesh. Anyway, the picks may be traded, but I would expect for a cost controlled 3rd/4th liner or t best 2nd pair D.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Instead of thinking about those picks as “mystery boxes” they should be seen as
viable, high end reinforcements that come cheap for three year ELC contracts. So no. They shouldn’t trade them.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't see any reason to think another 1st is on the way out the door but for the right player, why not? (hint, not another LD). If they can add a quality RD they don't have anything expensive left to add and maybe I'm wearing homer glasses but I believe they have a bunch more NHL caliber D men on the way and their offensive core forwards have many years left. As long as they quit flushing value on owned rentals they are probably okay to trade another 1st.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Until confirmed otherwise, I will always believe Dubas traded the 1st for Muzzin because he planned to get a 1st back at the TDL by trading Gardiner.

That to kiboshed when Gardiner got injured....

Unless confirmed otherwise, I honestly believe that was the plan. Too bad it didn’t happen. I hate Gardiner walking for nothing, and that we don’t have a 1st rounder this year....

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
...for the foreseeable future?

What I mean by this is are we going to be tweaking for the next 5 years?

I think most of us can see some areas that need to be addressed eventually: no guarantees that Rielly and Andersen will be around. Does Toronto want to think about 1 & 2 D + 1 G down the road? What about the future of our PK?

i REALLY hope Andersen is gone...too much of a typical goalie: looks like a superstar during most of the season but folds when it matters most... seen it with Reimer already. This guy is just another Reimer. Ship him out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad