Will Dubas have an interest in this years NCAA crop?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Unless more injuries occur or current guys are out longer than expected I doubt there is too much interest from Dubas.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I think we have enough players to sign - but we do like to find a few plucky players from the NCAA like Trevor Moore. Who knows!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I doubt any of the most desirable prospects would have any interest in us .

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Sign all of them! We need to replace Matthews, Nylander, and Gardiner, not to mention Zaitsev and Hainsey. :sarcasm:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why not?

We have pretty clear opportunities for players of any position on an ELC.

We REQUIRE them moving forward
we have a clear path for a small number of spots going forward which will be competed for by a large number of drafted prospects as well as any collage or euro ufa's , as well as any NHL vets who'll work cheap

most of these guys want a less contested and quicker path to the NHL

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
LW Pierre Engvall - C ??? - RW Jeremy Bracco
LW Mason Marchment - C Adam Brooks - RW Dmytro Timashov
LW ??? - C ??? - RW ???
LW ??? - C ??? - RW ???

LD Rasmus Sandin - RD Justin Holl
LD ??? - RD Jesper Lindgren
LD ??? - RD Mac Hollowell
LD ???- RD ???

G Kasimir Kaskisuo - G Ian Scott

That is what the depth chart looks like right now. There may look like there are a lot of holes, but that lineup only includes one veteran (Holl) and excludes the likes of Woll, McGregor, Kral, Gordeev, Dzierkals, Korshkov, Joshua and Carcone. At least a few of them should also be in the lineup next year, so there won't be a whole lot of room for free wallets...

And even then, I think the Marlies aim for younger guys. The older guys (i.e. the guys who would be turning 23 or 24 this year) would have to start challenging for an NHL job almost right away... We have a lot of guys doing that already. We need guys who challenge in two or three years time when guys like Kapanen or Johnsson may start pricing themselves out.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Why not?

We have pretty clear opportunities for players of any position on an ELC.

We REQUIRE them moving forward

Not for older guys we don't. For guys coming out of the CHL, like maybe a Brazeau, then maybe.

Anybody, unless they play at center (and even then we are pretty set at that spot for the near future), would face at least 3 or 4 other guys who are all going to be as good (or better) than they are to maybe get one or two jobs. That is just prospects. That does not include cheap veteran additions like Ennis or Lindholm. Unless they want to come here because they love the Leafs, or think they can seriously jump ahead of really good prospects, then we are not going to be desirable for the older guys.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Not for older guys we don't. For guys coming out of the CHL, like maybe a Brazeau, then maybe.

Anybody, unless they play at center (and even then we are pretty set at that spot for the near future), would face at least 3 or 4 other guys who are all going to be as good (or better) than they are to maybe get one or two jobs. That is just prospects. That does not include cheap veteran additions like Ennis or Lindholm. Unless they want to come here because they love the Leafs, or think they can seriously jump ahead of really good prospects, then we are not going to be desirable for the older guys.

Then what was the arguement when we had no players and infinite spots for good players?

We signed one impact college guy: Bozak

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Top NCAA free agents tend to go to hometowns OR bad teams so that they can get a shot sooner rather than later.

The Leafs appear to be a top destination for free agents due to their development system as well as being top end team, so I hope we can attract more of that kind of "free wallet" talent to replenish the system.

We're not going to be picking a ton in upcoming drafts, so I would imagine it's a good way of filling the ranks a bit.

I'm really impressed with Veronneau and Kuffner. Damn good production every season. I haven't seen much of either though. They are both from Ottawa and have played together ever since, so it's possible they are a package deal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Dubas needs to have interest in the NCAA crop of magic beans. Something is needed to get Matthews and Nylander going!

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Top NCAA free agents tend to go to hometowns OR bad teams so that they can get a shot sooner rather than later.

The Leafs appear to be a top destination for free agents due to their development system as well as being top end team, so I hope we can attract more of that kind of "free wallet" talent to replenish the system.

We're not going to be picking a ton in upcoming drafts, so I would imagine it's a good way of filling the ranks a bit.

I'm really impressed with Veronneau and Kuffner. Damn good production every season. I haven't seen much of either though. They are both from Ottawa and have played together ever since, so it's possible they are a package deal.

This narrative isn't true...

Pittsburgh got Zach Aston-Reese and Sheary
Chicago got Trevor van Reimsdyk, Bain and Kero (Bain and Kero didn't really turn out, but still a good free agent)
Boston got Krug and Acciari

LA got Muzzin (OHL)

Playoff and cup contending teams still often get good NCAA free agents...

Reactions: teddygmr and cookie

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This narrative isn't true...

Pittsburgh got Zach Aston-Reese and Sheary
Chicago got Trevor van Reimsdyk, Bain and Kero (Bain and Kero didn't really turn out, but still a good free agent)
Boston got Krug and Acciari

LA got Muzzin (OHL)

Playoff and cup contending teams still often get good NCAA free agents...

I said generally, meaning there will be exemptions and different reasons. It's obviously not going to apply to every free agent.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I said generally, meaning there will be exemptions and different reasons. It's obviously not going to apply to every free agent.

Well "generally" the average team doesn't even sign a NCAA free agent (let alone a good one)... There are only a handfull of good ones that get signed every year.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

Dubas: A thinking man's GM for a thinking man's hockey

The NCAA may have some Good Canadian Kids but they have developed wisdom through education, thus not going backward

Leafs Nation hates this, but the game is moving to NCAA styled skating, passing, scoring, situational awareness, and away from films like Rocky

The main goal is to get best available talent at cheapest cost to offset the Max Million stars, and that is where scouting, analytics and statistical analysis kick in, and the NCAA is a pool to chose from, even if the player is in the AHL for a year or 2 so that his stardom can be manufactured

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Have been a proponent of the Leafs trying to get Mat Robson from the Gophers. He’s been linked to the team in the past and at the worst should be a decent AHL guy

Reactions: teddygmr

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He should be more interested in areas that have been successful in the past: Junior. NCAA isn't one of them.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Nico Sturm seems like a perfect target.
200 ft game
Skates well
6'3 C (who has played some LW)
Decent numbers in the NCAA

Leafs need access depth, and they can probably pitch him as just needing to beat out Freddie to be an NHLer
Or
If he is a LW, he would quickly be high on the depth chart especially if Marleau is gone in the off season.

Ryan Kuffner makes sense as well from the LW perspective. AJ, Marleau, Hyman and ... Moore?Ennis? Petan? Engval and Marchment are in the AHL but likely need more time.

Reactions: Visnovsky

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Should be more concerned with Europeans playing in Sweden and Finland big leagues. Few good ones who might be available. That's how you fill the Marlies and possible call-ups to Leafs. Defenseman Oliwer Kaski(Finland) would be good signing. Jani Hakanpaa (Finland) is probably NHL ready for 3rd pairing defenseman he can actually hit! Malte Stromwall(Sweden) could be a good serviceable 4th line RW who might crack 3rd line. Ville Leskinen(Finland) another RW who might crack 3rd line. Probably most likely NHL ready goalie is Swedish Adam Reideborn! He has been excellent in the Swedish league. Erik Thorell plays LW and he plays for HIFK Helsinki and could be sleeper signing. Last player I'll mention is Calle Andersson right handed shot playing in Switzerland. Think be good player to give try out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad