Will Dubas have an interest in this years NCAA crop?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
LW Pierre Engvall - C ??? - RW Jeremy Bracco
LW Mason Marchment - C Adam Brooks - RW Dmytro Timashov
LW ??? - C ??? - RW ???
LW ??? - C ??? - RW ???

LD Rasmus Sandin - RD Justin Holl
LD ??? - RD Jesper Lindgren
LD ??? - RD Mac Hollowell
LD ???- RD ???

G Kasimir Kaskisuo - G Ian Scott.

Do you think Liljgren is ready to take the next step for next season?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs will 100% be all over the College+European free agents, no doubt about it. We're also a pretty attractive place for them to come (Great development+ need for good players on the cheap)

Reactions: teddygmr

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There’s some interesting names.

I find a lot of the top ones like to be guaranteed 10 NHL games in order to burn a year early.

So we won’t get any of the top couple of names I don’t think

However the secondary tier, which there’s a couple interesting forwards IMO, could be a possibility. Even on D, if we could secure a name
or two, it could prevent us from having to bring back a Corrado/Subban/LoVerde next year

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would take a swing for Joseph Duszak, if he would take a Marlies deal, which you think he probably would. He comes from the weakest D1 division, the Atlantic, and he is undersized at 5'10" 185 lbs, but he's a RHD, and I believe ended up second overall in scoring in the NCAA Div 1 this year. Joseph Duszak at eliteprospects.com

45 points in 35 games...worth a try anyway.

Reactions: cookie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't say there is to much interest , especially in the forwards like Nico Sturm or Ryan Kuffner because they literally don't nee it, the forward depth is ridiculous, we don't need more unless that forward is clearly better than anything we have.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I wouldn't say there is to much interest , especially in the forwards like Nico Sturm or Ryan Kuffner because they literally don't nee it, the forward depth is ridiculous, we don't need more unless that forward is clearly better than anything we have.
Yeah, but there’s liable to be some movement this summer, most logically moving from the forward group to improve the D.
So, moving parts might make the Leafs a good landing spot.
Sturm plays C and LW. Big, defensively responsible. Not sure on skating, grit, but, those are some on the makings of a nice complimentary player.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
With Hunter gone, I feel as though scouting is a serious grey area.

Not really sure who they replaced him with or what direction they are going.

But if it’s all Corsi and other junk stats based... in a little scared
Hunter didn't do much for us after Round 2. I hate to crack an immature joke, but after the Joseph Woll pick in 2016, he could of just farted in the mic and we would be in a similar spot. Wasted about 7 picks and it was well-known on the day of.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs actually need to be in the mix for NCAA talent every year. When you are going to have a super expensive core group you need to explore every avenue to sign guys with potential, generate log jams in the organization and manufacture surplus draft picks any way possible so you can stay under the cap and also keep the pipeline flowing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hunter didn't do much for us after Round 2. I hate to crack an immature joke, but after the Joseph Woll pick in 2016, he could of just farted in the mic and we would be in a similar spot. Wasted about 7 picks and it was well-known on the day of.
how quick do you expect mid to late rd picks to make the NHL ? and how many picks per draft do you expect to make it ?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
how quick do you expect mid to late rd picks to make the NHL ? and how many picks per draft do you expect to make it ?
Who from the 2016 Draft is even trending well after Woll? Brooks, slightly I suppose. He used picks on hulking D and overage forwards with meager offensive stats. Most of those guys are no longer even in the organization or will probably go unsigned (Greenway and Chebykin).

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who from the 2016 Draft is even trending well after Woll? Brooks, slightly I suppose. He used picks on hulking D and overage forwards with meager offensive stats. Most of those guys are no longer even in the organization or will probably go unsigned (Greenway and Chebykin).
Grundstrom is trending very well from that draft and looks like he should be a NHLer .

but the question was how many picks do expect to make it from every draft and how quick do you expect them to make it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Grundstrom is trending very well from that draft and looks like he should be a NHLer .

but the question was how many picks do expect to make it from every draft and how quick do you expect them to make it

On one level I don’t disagree that these mid to late round picks will take time to evaluate whether or not they’re a success. But I just think the folks who seem to vocally mourn Hunters departure don’t seem to be able to point to all that much when asked why they feel that way

I’m indifferent to the guy: loved what he did in 2015, less so the 2016-17 selections.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

First off, Grundstrom was a 2nd round pick selected before Joseph Woll. Secondly, none of his 2016 picks (after Woll) other than Brooks will even make the AHL. As for your question, 3-5 years in general, and some take longer. The point is that many of his picks are complete castoffs who never even earned their ELC.

Reactions: Menzinger

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
On one level I don’t disagree that these mid to late round picks will take time to evaluate whether or not they’re a success. But I just think the folks who seem to vocally mourn Hunters departure don’t seem to be able to point to all that much when asked why they feel that way

I’m indifferent to the guy: loved what he did in 2015, less so the 2016-17 selections.
there's no need to bash Hunter and Lou to try to make the Dubes light shine brighter

Dubas landed in a great spot and will sink or swim based on his own performance

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
First off, Grundstrom was a 2nd round pick selected before Joseph Woll. Secondly, none of his 2016 picks (after Woll) other than Brooks will even make the AHL. As for your question, 3-5 years in general, and some take longer. The point is that many of his picks are complete castoffs who never even earned their ELC.
so 3 to 5 yrs and some take longer but you already wrote off his tenure here even though you haven't given his picks enough time

i also asked how many picks per draft you expect to make it and you still haven't answered , teams don't consistently get 3 plus draft picks making it from every draft class and few late rd kids make it in general so i have no idea what standard people are holding Hunter too

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
so 3 to 5 yrs and some take longer but you already wrote off his tenure here even though you haven't given his picks enough time

i also asked how many picks per draft you expect to make it and you still haven't answered , teams don't consistently get 3 plus draft picks making it from every draft class and few late rd kids make it in general so i have no idea what standard people are holding Hunter too
2-3 NHLers

He didn't even get us AHL talent for the most part in 2016 outside of the Top 60, what are you trying to defend here?

Matthews - obvious pick
Korshkov - huge reach that is looking terrible
Grundstrom - awesome, traded
Woll - trending very well, goalies are voodoo
----Top 60 divider----
Greenway - USHL overager, trending horribly
Brooks - originally 2014 eligible, fine AHLer whose NHL potential is very much in question
Middleton - went unsigned
Bobylev - went unsigned
Mattinen - went unsigned
Walker - went unsigned
Chebykin - mediocre VHLer, will go unsigned

So you have an obvious pick in Matthews and then only Grundstrom (a Top 60 pick) as a near guaranteed NHLer. This Draft was nearly 3 years ago and there is really nothing to show for it other than Matthews (an obvious pick who Hunter should not get credit for) and a promising G prospect in Woll. Great, but he had 11 (!!!) Picks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With Hunter gone, I feel as though scouting is a serious grey area.

Not really sure who they replaced him with or what direction they are going.

But if it’s all Corsi and other junk stats based... in a little scared

I don't think one person is critical, otherwise Leafs would have the best prospect pool.

Take Nylander, Kapanen, Marner and Matthews out of the mix and what are they left with?

Is it really impressive when you take out the top selections?

No other team had Hunter and those other teams seem to have lots of players on their NHL rosters.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
2-3 NHLers

He didn't even get us AHL talent for the most part in 2016 outside of the Top 60, what are you trying to defend here?

Matthews - obvious pick
Korshkov - huge reach that is looking terrible
Grundstrom - awesome, traded
Woll - trending very well, goalies are voodoo
----Top 60 divider----
Greenway - USHL overager, trending horribly
Brooks - originally 2014 eligible, fine AHLer whose NHL potential is very much in question
Middleton - went unsigned
Bobylev - went unsigned
Mattinen - went unsigned
Walker - went unsigned
Chebykin - mediocre VHLer, will go unsigned

So you have an obvious pick in Matthews and then only Grundstrom (a Top 60 pick) as a near guaranteed NHLer. This Draft was nearly 3 years ago and there is really nothing to show for it other than Matthews (an obvious pick who Hunter should not get credit for) and a promising G prospect in Woll. Great, but he had 11 (!!!) Picks.
i'm not trying to defend anything , i just find it fascinating the way people act a like a typical draft yields multiple NHLers when that really isn't the case

do you also expect the Dubas draft to yield large numbers of players every year and multiple players in the 3rd and later making it ? or is this just the bar set for Hunter ?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
i'm not trying to defend anything , i just find it fascinating the way people act a like a typical draft yields multiple NHLers when that really isn't the case

do you also expect the Dubas draft to yield large numbers of players every year and multiple players in the 3rd and later making it ? or is this just the bar set for Hunter ?
This debate is more so about the quality of players selected in the mid-late rounds. You are not getting NHLers if you are not even getting AHLers (like Mark Hunter in 2016). The 2018 Draft obviously just happened, but there is atleast guys trending in the right direction for the most part.

•SDA has struggled to produce, but already got an ELC with his play in camp.
•Stotts is hovering around PPG.
Hollowell (4th round) has torched the OHL and earned an ELC, will play in the AHL next year.
•Kral is playing really well in Spokane behind Ty Smith, there is a chance he may even turn pro next year.
•Holmberg forced his way into the SHL and made Sweden's WJC team.

Some of these guys have shown more growth in 9 months than some of Hunter's 2016 picks have in 3 years. This seems to be a group worth atleast trying to develop, unlike Mark Hunters class of 2016.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This debate is more so about the quality of players selected in the mid-late rounds. You are not getting NHLers if you are not even getting AHLers (like Mark Hunter in 2016). The 2018 Draft obviously just happened, but there is atleast guys trending in the right direction for the most part.

•SDA has struggled to produce, but already got an ELC with his play in camp.
•Stotts is hovering around PPG.
Hollowell (4th round) has torched the OHL and earned an ELC, will play in the AHL next year.
•Kral is playing really well in Spokane behind Ty Smith, there is a chance he may even turn pro next year.
•Holmberg forced his way into the SHL and made Sweden's WJC team.

Some of these guys have shown more growth in 9 months than some of Hunter's 2016 picks have in 3 years. This seems to be a group worth atleast trying to develop, unlike Mark Hunters class of 2016.
spin this latest draft class anyway you like but i'm going to be pleasantly surprised if anyone other than Sandin makes the NHL

can't say much about the late rd euro's but other than Hollowell no one's really stepped up there play and he's already 20 and only weighs 160 so i'm not overly optimistic about him either

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
spin this latest draft class anyway you like but i'm going to be pleasantly surprised if anyone other than Sandin makes the NHL

can't say much about the late rd euro's but other than Hollowell no one's really stepped up there play and he's already 20 and only weighs 160 so i'm not overly optimistic about him either
They are atleast trending well in comparison to Hunter's picks.

I'd wager that the 2016 Draft is a big reason why Hunter isn't employed by another NHL team in a scouting role. That's the type of garbage draft that sets a rebuilding team back a few years. 11 picks, and he will quite possibly have nothing to show for it other than a pick that a casual fan makes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->