Will Dubas have an interest in this years NCAA crop?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
there's no need to bash Hunter and Lou to try to make the Dubes light shine brighter

Dubas landed in a great spot and will sink or swim based on his own performance

I certainly wasn’t “bashing” hunter but I don’t think the leafs drafting during his tenure was any better than average. I just don’t get why folks were/are upset about him leaving.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Princeton lost in a 103 minute game. Kuffner, Teves and Verroneau are done.
Normally these names wouldn't intrigue me much, but they do when you compare them to the rest of the team. Kuffner and Veronneau have 18 and 14 more points than the third highest scoring forward on the team in a 30 game season.

Reactions: teddygmr

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They are atleast trending well in comparison to Hunter's picks.

I'd wager that the 2016 Draft is a big reason why Hunter isn't employed by another NHL team in a scouting role. That's the type of garbage draft that sets a rebuilding team back a few years. 11 picks, and he will quite possibly have nothing to show for it other than a pick the average casual fan makes.
This past draft is trash outside of Sandin but it isn't going to set us back and if Hunter wanted to employed in the NHL in some capacity he would be . Do you think his boy Hofford just wound up with the Yotes ? guaranteed they contacted Hunter but he wasn't interested and pushed Hofford there way .

Hunter also had more than 1 draft here and you're trying way to hard to crap on a guy who isn't here anymore to try to make the Dubes light shine brighter .

also Hunter wasn't just involved with just the draft , any college/euro ufa we signed or scouting on a trade would have been based on him and his team

and why do you keep ignoring Grundstrom who looks like a very good pick and why focus only on 1 draft ? strange

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
2-3 NHLers

He didn't even get us AHL talent for the most part in 2016 outside of the Top 60, what are you trying to defend here?

Matthews - obvious pick
Korshkov - huge reach that is looking terrible
Grundstrom - awesome, traded
Woll - trending very well, goalies are voodoo
----Top 60 divider----
Greenway - USHL overager, trending horribly
Brooks - originally 2014 eligible, fine AHLer whose NHL potential is very much in question
Middleton - went unsigned
Bobylev - went unsigned
Mattinen - went unsigned
Walker - went unsigned
Chebykin - mediocre VHLer, will go unsigned

So you have an obvious pick in Matthews and then only Grundstrom (a Top 60 pick) as a near guaranteed NHLer. This Draft was nearly 3 years ago and there is really nothing to show for it other than Matthews (an obvious pick who Hunter should not get credit for) and a promising G prospect in Woll. Great, but he had 11 (!!!) Picks.

We still own Bobylev's rights... Not that it matters.

I still hold out hope for the two Russians.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Normally these names wouldn't intrigue me much, but they do when you compare them to the rest of the team. Kuffner and Veronneau have 18 and 14 more points than the third highest scoring forward on the team in a 30 game season.

I personally do not see the Leafs getting any of them. I think at least the two forwards will be a package deal, and they are going to look for a more direct path to the NHL than what the Leafs would give them. Everything on Teves suggests he's not going to be worth an ELC though... Especially not to the Leafs who have other, better options internally.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I certainly wasn’t “bashing” hunter but I don’t think the leafs drafting during his tenure was any better than average. I just don’t get why folks were/are upset about him leaving.
because maybe they knew he did more than just run the amateur draft and both LL and Babs praised him so maybe he was a valued member of the team even if he didn't makes t-shirts with catchy phrases on them

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
because maybe they knew he did more than just run the amateur draft and both LL and Babs praised him so maybe he was a valued member of the team even if he didn't makes t-shirts with catchy phrases on them

Praise is nice but results are what matters.

Pro scouting led to the Zaitsev contract, and draft results aren’t anything to cheer about, not a flop but hardly getting any steals of the draft (not to mention had the benefit of being in the top 5 of every round for 2/3 draft cycles).

I understand he had the reputation but didn’t think his actions lived up to it.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
This past draft is trash outside of Sandin but it isn't going to set us back and if Hunter wanted to employed in the NHL in some capacity he would be . Do you think his boy Hofford just wound up with the Yotes ? guaranteed they contacted Hunter but he was interested and pushed Hofford there way .

Hunter also had more than 1 draft here and you're trying way to hard to crap on a guy who isn't here anymore to try to make the Dubes light shine brighter .

also Hunter wasn't just involved with just the draft , any college/euro ufa we signed or scouting on a trade would have been based on him and his team

and why do you keep ignoring Grundstrom who looks like a very good pick and why focus only on 1 draft ? strange

Because it's 11 picks and occured before our team was any good. He picked low upside players and got nothing out of it. Interesting that you are already critiquing a Draft from 9 months ago that you clearly don't know much about, yet gave me grief for saying a Draft from 3 years ago was poor. Dubas clearly shot for upside in this Draft and we have seen nearly every player other than SDA and Bouthillier take a step forward. Even Semyon frickin Kizimov (2018 7th) outplayed Bobylev (2016 5th, overager) and Chebykin (2016 7th, overager) in the VHL despite being three years younger.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
we have a clear path for a small number of spots going forward which will be competed for by a large number of drafted prospects as well as any collage or euro ufa's , as well as any NHL vets who'll work cheap

most of these guys want a less contested and quicker path to the NHL

They also want the best development staff, doctors, massage therapists & training facilities .... which currently all belong to the Marlies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This past draft is trash outside of Sandin but it isn't going to set us back and if Hunter wanted to employed in the NHL in some capacity he would be . Do you think his boy Hofford just wound up with the Yotes ? guaranteed they contacted Hunter but he was interested and pushed Hofford there way .

Durzi, SDA, Stotts, and Hollowell all have a chance.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I’m all for signing free assets. Specifically RHD and LW. Also C in the third and forth line role. If somebody can challenge Gauthier, Gauthier is okay in the 4C but he certainly can’t slide up. That player would have to add size, grit, a 200 foot game and decent O.

Sign Woll
Run Woll and Scott in AHL

Leave Sandin and Liljegren in AHL for another year or until TDL.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Praise is nice but results are what matters.

Pro scouting led to the Zaitsev contract, and draft results aren’t anything to cheer about, not a flop but hardly getting any steals of the draft (not to mention had the benefit of being in the top 5 of every round for 2/3 draft cycles).

I understand he had the reputation but didn’t think his actions lived up to it.
the scouting also led to Andy and Moore but it seems anything positive gets ignored

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Because it's 11 picks and occured before our team was any good. He picked low upside players and got nothing out of it. Interesting that you are already critiquing a Draft from 9 months ago that you clearly don't know much about, yet gave me grief for saying a Draft from 3 years ago was poor. Dubas clearly shot for upside in this Draft and we have seen nearly every player other than SDA and Bouthillier take a step forward. Even Semyon frickin Kizimov (2018 7th) outplayed Bobylev (2016 5th, overager) and Chebykin (2016 7th, overager) in the VHL despite being three years younger.
he also picked high upside players in other drafts but for some you're fixated on only one draft which he still also got Grundstrom out of it which you ignore and maybe Woll

also i'm not giving you grief about critiquing our 2016 draft , i'm giving you grief for having unreal expectations on how many players your going to get out of a draft class on avg

and this present draft is still meh after Sandin and we'll be lucky if anyone other than him makes it the way they're tracking so far

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I believe Friedman mentioned last night on Headlines that the Leafs have interest in Kuffner and Veronneau (as well as the Oilers).

Princeton lost last night so I'm sure we will hear some news on both of them in the next couple weeks.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
the scouting also led to Andy and Moore but it seems anything positive gets ignored
I don't think Hunter was bad here....and I don't think the poster you quoted was saying Hunter was bad either....but he gets lifted up on a pedestal by some posters as some kind of scouting guru when the 2016 draft was objectively by any way you want to look at it a really bad draft for us. There is really no way of turning that around, we had a ton of picks that draft and far to many were burned away on guys that don't even show glimpses of potential. That isn't saying everything he did here was bad but more so showing that Hunter was not and is not some kind of magical draft guru that can not be replaced.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't think Hunter was bad here....and I don't think the poster you quoted was saying Hunter was bad either....but he gets lifted up on a pedestal by some posters as some kind of scouting guru when the 2016 draft was objectively by any way you want to look at it a really bad draft for us. There is really no way of turning that around, we had a ton of picks that draft and far to many were burned away on guys that don't even show glimpses of potential. That isn't saying everything he did here was bad but more so showing that Hunter was not and is not some kind of magical draft guru that can not be replaced.
Mathews was a no brainer in 2016 which is true but if don't count that pick then he went into the draft with no 1st and came away with Grundstrom who looks good and maybe Woll . So while i'm not saying it was a great draft i'm just saying it's not as bad as people are trying to make it out to be .

and no one's really bringing Hunter up other than the Dubas fan club who feel the need to slag him too try to make his light shine brighter

member 147413

Hunter leaving had no effect on anything.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Mathews was a no brainer in 2016 which is true but if don't count that pick then he went into the draft with no 1st and came away with Grundstrom who looks good and maybe Woll . So while i'm not saying it was a great draft i'm just saying it's not as bad as people are trying to make it out to be .

and no one's really bringing Hunter up other than the Dubas fan club who feel the need to slag him too try to make his light shine brighter
But I think that is part of the problem isn't it? You have people that think nothing Hunter did was wrong and Dubas can't stack up and then you have people that as you named it are "part of the Dubas fan club" neither one is any better then the other and if you don't think there are people on here that hold Hunter up at a higher level then he deserves you aren't looking hard enough. Hunter is and was a good scout....who made bad picks, he wasn't infallible as some make it seem and Dubas even if the net of what he does is positive will also make bad picks. I didn't like Hunters 2016 draft at the time it happened so this isn't revisionist from my point of view anyways. I just think the people that think there is some massive hole in our front office because Hunter left don't really have much of a leg to stand on right now. Give it 3 or 4 years and we will be able to see how the Hunter drafts played out later and how Dubas has handled his.

Reactions: Menzinger

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
But I think that is part of the problem isn't it? You have people that think nothing Hunter did was wrong and Dubas can't stack up and then you have people that as you named it are "part of the Dubas fan club" neither one is any better then the other and if you don't think there are people on here that hold Hunter up at a higher level then he deserves you aren't looking hard enough. Hunter is and was a good scout....who made bad picks, he wasn't infallible as some make it seem and Dubas even if the net of what he does is positive will also make bad picks. I didn't like Hunters 2016 draft at the time it happened so this isn't revisionist from my point of view anyways. I just think the people that think there is some massive hole in our front office because Hunter left don't really have much of a leg to stand on right now. Give it 3 or 4 years and we will be able to see how the Hunter drafts played out later and how Dubas has handled his.
Hunter did some good here, but his 2016 Draft was clearly terrible and I think 2017 will show to be similar outside of Liljegren (Scott and McGregor have increased their stock). I just believe that the skill trumps all approach Dubas took in 2018 (and that he was a big part of in 2015) is much wiser. You see multiple 2018 picks showing growth already and if you date back to 2015, of the 9 picks, the Leafs still have some sort of plan for Marner, Dermott, Bracco, Lindgren, and Timashov (and even Nielsen and Korostelev atleast made the AHL). That means 7/9 were atleast of some value, compared to 4/11 for Hunter in 2016 (Matthews, Grundstrom, likely Woll, and Brooks)

Reactions: Menzinger

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I believe Friedman mentioned last night on Headlines that the Leafs have interest in Kuffner and Veronneau (as well as the Oilers).

Princeton lost last night so I'm sure we will hear some news on both of them in the next couple weeks.
When is the earliest we could sign an NCAA player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->