Speculation: Will Dubas avoid/how can Dubas avoid what happened last season?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
You really think having Murray for the same price as Kuemper isn’t an issue? What does he do if his injury prone aging starter gets injured? You think calling up the AHL teams goalies is what a contender would do? Thats just a good fix apparently?
Which goalie are you calling aging?
32 year old Kuempher or 28 year old Murray?

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Which goalie are you calling aging?
32 year old Kuempher or 28 year old Murray?
28 is definitely aging if the context is injury prone.

Grade 12 biology where they discussed myelin sheath applies to athletes in the same manner it applies to your average joe since their environment is playing at a professional athlete level.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
28 is definitely aging if the context is injury prone.

Grade 12 biology where they discussed myelin sheath applies to athletes in the same manner it applies to your average joe since their environment is playing at a professional athlete level.
Kuemper has been on IR or LTIR every year since 2018, save for last season when he was injured several times, but never placed on IR.

Not sure Kuemper should be held up as a beacon of health either.

Reactions: deprw

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Kuemper has been on IR or LTIR every year since 2018, save for last season when he was injured several times, but never placed on IR.
Not sure Kuemper should be held up as a beacon of health either.
I don't think people seem to realize how much most goalies in general get injured.

Also not sure how anybody could think 28 is "aging", especially for a goalie. Goalies usually only establish themselves in the NHL in their mid-20s.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
It seems to me that there were issues last season when it came to our goalie depth. Whenever Dubas tried to find a replacement for Mrazek/Campbell his replacements had to pass through waivers. Each time this occured a new GM would claim them. It seemed like some of these teams didn't need the players, and just wanted to hurt Dubas/TOR. I believe that this is how Kallgren got his opportunity.

How can Dubas avoid this issue? It seems to me that Murray/Samsonov could present the same amount of injuries. Can Dubas avoid this by simply starting the season with 3 goalies or is that a problem for the cap?

Discuss
you cannot avoid this issue, unless you have a goalie that doesnt need waivers... Every team that doesnt have waiver free goalies to bring up is/was in this position. cant afford to have 3G on the roster either.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think people seem to realize how much most goalies in general get injured.

Also not sure how anybody could think 28 is "aging", especially for a goalie. Goalies usually only establish themselves in the NHL in their mid-20s.
Exactly this. People need to look at the age of a lot of the goalies establish themselves and/or become stars. Their performance curve is far different from a skater.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Goaltending has a question marks
D is good, but thin
The top two players are about has good as you can find on the planet
2nd line is still has questions
Kampf is fine, you can win with him
No one knows about the rest of the line up, but they have options.
They're not cap compliant and will have to make some decisions.
That sums it up nicely...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl … not too bad

Giordano, Liljegren, Benn, Mete……????

Sandin…..

are you saying that having Giordano as a #4/5 dman isn't great?

and Sandin-Liljegren were the best bottom pair in hockey last year, in their first full seasons.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
are you saying that having Giordano as a #4/5 dman isn't great?

and Sandin-Liljegren were the best bottom pair in hockey last year, in their first full seasons.
I’m saying we don’t know who will be available but at the moment that’s all they have to work with.
Probably top 5 in the East, but can they win three rounds? Who knows.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I really don't see how we could improve on Gio and Liljegren at less than two mil.

If you consider them the 2nd then in theory it's Muzzin and Holl/Sandin.

I guess if we could turn Sandin and Holl into a bruising defensive defenseman we'd have the missing piece but ultimately not a lot of flexibility there.

I also think we are locked in a goal until one of them explode.

Sadly any changes for a player who makes more than a mil is tricky.
That's the problem - because of the way we overspent on the top six we can't improve the rest.

I just don't think the 'fix' is the throw away a lot of (cheap) futures for the sake of one (probably futile) year of another high priced top six.

A few expensive stars and a bunch of talentless extras, but no quality role players, makes for a bad B movie. I've seen too many if them over the last 54 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad