Speculation: Will Dubas avoid/how can Dubas avoid what happened last season?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it was the Steve Dangle Podcast that revealed this, not Dubas.

I think it will happen as long as we waive players. Players waived from good teams typically are claimed since there's an implicit assumption that they'll be good on a bad team.

The waiver wire doesn't work like that. A guy who is put on waivers is offered to every other team in the league and each one has a turn to claim him in order of standings (worst to first) at the date of the offering. Minus a rough October, the Leafs were around Top 5 for most of the year last year and as a result would have to wait for ~27 teams to pass on a guy before they could claim him.

Secondly the Leafs are at 48 contracts currently. It'll be 49 if and when Sandin is signed/traded so they can only do that for 1 guy.

Put in the claim if it’s a cheap contract and see what shakes out.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Dubas will add P Kane, Matthew Knies, Topi Niemela, and Roni Hirvonen to the roster. Removing Holl, Kerfoot, Simmonds, Clifford, Sandin and one veteran dman.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The only way they could do it is to move someone of significance. I don't think CHI are not naive enough to take on Tavares. They would have to move Marner or Nylander +. Kane has 1 more year on his contract. CHI could use him and then deal him at the deadline for major assets.
Chicago isn't naive enough to take JT (even if he was willing to go), and we shouldn't trade any of the others for him.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If there’s a steady outflow of personnel due to waiver losses, just go and pick off bodies and see what happens. What’s the alternative, complain about how everyone’s picking on the Leafs?
Oh I don't see the downside I just remember the Jets picking a player off waivers from us specifically because we put them on waivers, not that they wanted the player.

I do think we should claim a few guys just to cover the depth we likely lose though assuming the cap hit is reasonable.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We can easily avoid the waiver thing this year because nobody needs waivers.

Woll and Kallgren are both exempt. The rest are on AHL contracts.

In fact, we only have a few guys needing waivers: Benn, Mete, Gaudette, Dahlstrom, Hollowell, Malgin, Anderson, Clifford, and Simmonds. Malgin and Anderson should be on the Leafs. The rest likely clear waivers.

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
The only way they could do it is to move someone of significance. I don't think CHI are not naive enough to take on Tavares. They would have to move Marner or Nylander +. Kane has 1 more year on his contract. CHI could use him and then deal him at the deadline for major assets.
Marner or Nylander? and then plus? No ... not a chance. This isn't 14-19 Kane, this is 2022 - 23, Patrick Kane.
A player that is 34 is not getting a Nylander or Marner plus unless mike Milbury is involved somewhere.

Reactions: Its not your fault

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner or Nylander? and then plus? No ... not a chance. This isn't 14-19 Kane, this is 2022 - 23, Patrick Kane.
A player that is 34 is not getting a Nylander or Marner plus unless mike Milbury is involved somewhere.
Marner would be dumb no doubt. but Nylander is a realistic option. Leafs would need cap space to bring him in and Nylander most likely walks when his contract is up.

Reactions: geo25

allfornothing

Aug 4, 2022
If you say so....

I was just pointing out the silliness of making out something that happened once as an issue.

I don't see it that way but have at it.
You really think having Murray for the same price as Kuemper isn’t an issue? What does he do if his injury prone aging starter gets injured? You think calling up the AHL teams goalies is what a contender would do? Thats just a good fix apparently?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Even his home town Buffalo who has cap space and need, know better than to get Kane. He only takes ice time away from those who need it. Which is why Sandin has to leave Toronto. He needs ice time that Gio is taking. But we are in position to win now.
Kane would be OK for low dollars, but at his price? Who goes? JT. ? Reilly plus? Willie plus?Not one chance in heck is he going to be a Leaf.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
You really think having Murray for the same price as Kuemper isn’t an issue? What does he do if his injury prone aging starter gets injured? You think calling up the AHL teams goalies is what a contender would do? Thats just a good fix apparently?

For starters that isn't even remotely what I said.

I was going to reply to your made up argument, but why take the bait?

AS for calling up goalies when one in injured. Really? What do you think the option is carry 3? LOL This is what ALL NHL teams do is call up a goalie for injuries. Do the Leafs have to do something special, just because?

allfornothing

Aug 4, 2022
For starters that isn't even remotely what I said.

I was going to reply to your made up argument, but why take the bait?

AS for calling up goalies when one in injured. Really? What do you think the option is carry 3? LOL This is what ALL NHL teams do is call up a goalie for injuries. Do the Leafs have to do something special, just because?
The argument that OP posed with the thread was how does dubas avoid losing like last season. OP wondered how Dubas plans to manage his aging, injury prone goalies. Considering the leafs averaged 3gaa last season and have only gotten worse in goal this season, this could become a larger issue mideason. They don’t have to do something just because, they have to do something because they are obviously not good enough.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
The argument that OP posed with the thread was how does dubas avoid losing like last season. OP wondered how Dubas plans to manage his aging, injury prone goalies. Considering the leafs averaged 3gaa last season and have only gotten worse in goal this season, this could become a larger issue mideason. They don’t have to do something just because, they have to do something because they are obviously not good enough.

Ok lets go there.

Your earlier post referenced Kemper as the better option. Do we know he was an option? Do we know he was even willing to come to Toronto at the same contract he signed?

Aging goalies, Hmm. I thought the Goalies got younger from last season?

Injury prone goalies, I am aware of Murry's problems but IMO they aren't much different than Jack's (injury plus mental). I'm not aware of any reason why our back-up will be injury prone. You can fill me in on the history there and why we should be concerned. At any rate I can't see it being a worst situation than last season.

Let me know

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
There are rumours?
Just speculation, I was speculating Dubas tries to make a move for him as well. Only makes sense. Dubas knows if he doesn't show something this year he's gone, Chicago wants to rebuild, Kane wants to go to a contender, we are the strongest team in the Atlantic on paper, gaping hole at LW, we have about 5M in salary we want to ship out, Kane @50% is about 5M.

Literally everything lines up, he fits an immediate need like a glove and Chicago is looking for picks/prospects which we have. Match made in heaven. I imagine it costs us a 1st + Robertson or Knies + 2nd at the very least, I would do it. Go all in for the cup, we may not have many more chances with this core, give Matthews his best shot while he's in his prime. Kane would make us a heavy heavy favorite for the cup.

Biznasty is convinced he's gonna be traded here, everything just makes sense. He's exactly what we need for the Tavares line, elite playmaking LW, JT might hit 50 goals if he had Kane on his wing. We'd have the deadliest forward group in the league by far. I really really hope Dubas goes all in this year, there's no clear favorite but lots of good teams, it's our best chance. The Atlantic is the weakest it's been since the Matthews era started, I believe this is the year we go all in, even if we have to trade 2 first round picks to bolster the current team, I'd do it. It's the price you pay to win the cup.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We can easily avoid the waiver thing this year because nobody needs waivers.

Woll and Kallgren are both exempt. The rest are on AHL contracts.

In fact, we only have a few guys needing waivers: Benn, Mete, Gaudette, Dahlstrom, Hollowell, Malgin, Anderson, Clifford, and Simmonds. Malgin and Anderson should be on the Leafs. The rest likely clear waivers.
I think they keep up Malgin or he goes back to Europe if he clears waivers. I would think with that in mind the fact that they went out and signed him anyway and that there was mutual interest indicated that he would be a pretty good bet to make the team.

I also think they keep up Simmonds. He does the enforcer role pretty well. There is no reason to soften a physically weak team.

Either way I think most of those names carry some risk of claim. Benn, Mete and Gaudette being the most likely if my selections were true. I think they'll lose at least one of those guys.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just speculation, I was speculating Dubas tries to make a move for him as well. Only makes sense. Dubas knows if he doesn't show something this year he's gone, Chicago wants to rebuild, Kane wants to go to a contender, we are the strongest team in the Atlantic on paper, gaping hole at LW, we have about 5M in salary we want to ship out, Kane @50% is about 5M.

Literally everything lines up, he fits an immediate need like a glove and Chicago is looking for picks/prospects which we have. Match made in heaven. I imagine it costs us a 1st + Robertson or Knies + 2nd at the very least, I would do it. Go all in for the cup, we may not have many more chances with this core, give Matthews his best shot while he's in his prime. Kane would make us a heavy heavy favorite for the cup.

Biznasty is convinced he's gonna be traded here, everything just makes sense. He's exactly what we need for the Tavares line, elite playmaking LW, JT might hit 50 goals if he had Kane on his wing. We'd have the deadliest forward group in the league by far. I really really hope Dubas goes all in this year, there's no clear favorite but lots of good teams, it's our best chance. The Atlantic is the weakest it's been since the Matthews era started, I believe this is the year we go all in, even if we have to trade 2 first round picks to bolster the current team, I'd do it. It's the price you pay to win the cup.
Kane is an all in move I would support, even if it cost Willy+... if they can make the cap work. The sacrifice and future risk would be worth it.

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
Marner would be dumb no doubt. but Nylander is a realistic option. Leafs would need cap space to bring him in and Nylander most likely walks when his contract is up.
Even as a Nylander non-supporter, I gotta say no thanks. Kane's past is as bad as E. Kane's past and the Leafs didn't want him, so how can they justify the cost and acquisition of P.Kane?
I believe that Evander Kane was the best possible piece to add to this team. JMHO

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
I don't believe Nylander will be leaving as a FA. (he might get traded) I don't think Marner's ego will let him take less than Matthews on the next contract. If Marner loses any of his quickness (age, injury, health) he is toast.
If the Leafs win the cup in the next two seasons Marner will make an excellent trade chip for future talent. JMHO

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

I've said this a couple times in the past (so we'll likely lose in round 1 again) but this year really is a big opportunity

Florida is going nowhere with that defensive core, Tampa lost a couple big pieces + lots of wear and tear from the last couple years, Boston is on their last legs. As of right now, we have a great chance to make it out

Looking at the metro, Carolina is a threat but they lack high end firepower, it feels like TB is a better version of them. NYR has Shesterkin who is an issue, hopefully we avoid him. Other than that, no one really worries me in that division

At some point you have to say f*** it and go for it. Kane is the perfect kind of player you acquire when you want to go for it. He solves a couple of problems we need addressed in the playoffs:

1.) Clutch playoff player. We get worse as a series goes on, Kane has shown he can deliver in those moments. I still remember Chicago vs LA in 2014 when he carried them to victory in game 6
2.) Provides us with more depth. If we manage the lines correctly we can throw Willy on line 3. This gives him a chance to be our version of Kessel in Pittsburgh. He'll get optimal starts against weak competition and can give us the bottom 6 scoring we've lacked in the past.

Give us Kane and you can run something like the following:

Bunting - Matthews - Marner/Kane
XXX - Tavares - Marner/Kane
Engvall - Jarnkrok - Nylander
Aube-Kubel - Kampf - XXX

Reactions: AvroArrow

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I can see Dubas doing that in a last-ditch attempt to save his neck, but I hope he doesn't.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I can see Dubas doing that in a last-ditch attempt to save his neck, but I hope he doesn't.
What if it works out though, you gotta make some ballsy moves to put your team over the top. Penguins fans wanted Rutherford fired, called him the biggest idiot in the NHL etc etc and his bold trades led to back to back cups

I genuinely feel like we are not doing the most to give this core the chance to make a deep run for the cup. The rebuild is long over, we have an elite core it's time to add the proper surrounding pieces to put them over the top

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I think the greater concern is that the Leaf's goalie prospect pipeline is rather limited right now and has been for a long time which has forced them to go out into the FA market to find fill-ins and some of those fill-ins have been claimed in the past which puts Toronto in an even worse spot.

What if it works out though, you gotta make some ballsy moves to put your team over the top. Penguins fans wanted Rutherford fired, called him the biggest idiot in the NHL etc etc and his bold trades led to back to back cups

I genuinely feel like we are not doing the most to give this core the chance to make a deep run for the cup. The rebuild is long over, we have an elite core it's time to add the proper surrounding pieces to put them over the top
The Leafs have elite players in the top 6 for sure. The problem is that they only seem to be consistently elite during the regular season. During the playoffs far too many of their elite players go on long cold streaks which has burned them during the playoffs.;

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad