Speculation: Will Dubas avoid/how can Dubas avoid what happened last season?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What if it works out though, you gotta make some ballsy moves to put your team over the top. Penguins fans wanted Rutherford fired, called him the biggest idiot in the NHL etc etc and his bold trades led to back to back cup

I genuinely feel like we are not doing the most to give this core the chance to make a deep run for the cup. The rebuild is long over, we have an elite core it's time to add the proper surrounding pieces to put them over the top
I would be very happy, and quite willing to eat crow (preferably barbecued), but I don't like the odds compared to the probable damage.

I think we need to improve our bottom six, defence, and goaltending before adding more to the top six

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
We can easily avoid the waiver thing this year because nobody needs waivers.

Woll and Kallgren are both exempt. The rest are on AHL contracts.

In fact, we only have a few guys needing waivers: Benn, Mete, Gaudette, Dahlstrom, Hollowell, Malgin, Anderson, Clifford, and Simmonds. Malgin and Anderson should be on the Leafs. The rest likely clear waivers.
If Malgin is on this team, this is not a cup-winning team. Rather have a knuckle dragger in there, rather than some miniature flea that plays like a Zamboni with his butt on this ice all the time ...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think leadership - Matthews, Rielly, Muzzin - needs to step up and confront the team in camp and set the tone for the entire season. No more half-assed effort in the playoffs.

allfornothing

Aug 4, 2022
Ok lets go there.

Your earlier post referenced Kemper as the better option. Do we know he was an option? Do we know he was even willing to come to Toronto at the same contract he signed?

Aging goalies, Hmm. I thought the Goalies got younger from last season?

Injury prone goalies, I am aware of Murry's problems but IMO they aren't much different than Jack's (injury plus mental). I'm not aware of any reason why our back-up will be injury prone. You can fill me in on the history there and why we should be concerned. At any rate I can't see it being a worst situation than last season.

Let me know
Samsonov ATV injury? Never heard of that one? Injured his spine.

Campbell bled blue and white. We’ll see the commitment from these guys soon enough. Both these guys have worse numbers than Campbell and have only had positive numbers when they had to share the net with a far superior goaltender. If Marner or Matthews goes down I’m worried about our playoff chances.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I would be very happy, and quite willing to eat crow (preferably barbecued), but I don't like the odds compared to the probable damage.

I think we need to improve our bottom six, defence, and goaltending before adding more to the top six
I’m thinking we would want the crow done in the slow cooker. I’m guessing they would be pretty tough and gammy

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Samsonov ATV injury? Never heard of that one? Injured his spine.

Campbell bled blue and white. We’ll see the commitment from these guys soon enough. Both these guys have worse numbers than Campbell and have only had positive numbers when they had to share the net with a far superior goaltender. If Marner or Matthews goes down I’m worried about our playoff chances.

ATV injury so not injury prone. Not likely to happen again? Though spinal injury is concerning.

The reasoning for Campbell's negotiations not working out are well documented in this thread and others on the board. The one that makes the most sense to me is he wanted more term than the Leafs were willing to commit to him, though there are other theories out there. Wither way Campbell and the Leafs couldn't come to an agreement if it was the Leafs or Campbell's camp, it doesn't matter. Didn't happen.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I’m thinking we would want the crow done in the slow cooker. I’m guessing they would be pretty tough and gammy
Maybe your BC crows are like that, but Ontario ones are pretty tasty, especially when marinated for two days in a jerk sauce, wrapped in foil for an hour or so at 230°F, then finished on the open grill. 😋

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Maybe your BC crows are like that, but Ontario ones are pretty tasty, especially when marinated for two days in a jerk sauce, wrapped in foil for an hour or so at 230°F, then finished on the open grill. 😋
Hahahahah. No BC for me. We have a small hobby farm 15 minutes southwest of London.
Out here in the country our crows want to fight the barn cats. Lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hahahahah. No BC for me. We have a small hobby farm 15 minutes southwest of London.
Out here in the country our crows want to fight the barn cats. Lol
Sorry. I thought you were out on Vancouver Island. Must have been one of the other guys from the old site.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
They need to confront themselves.

How does that work?

Confront: meet (someone) face to face with hostile or argumentative intent.
"he confronted the robbers as they were trying to leave"

Are they each two people? Man that would really blow up the cap!

:)

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sorry. I thought you were out on Vancouver Island. Must have been one of the other guys from the old site.
No worries and your right there seemed to be a lot of western guys on the old site

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
How does that work?

Confront: meet (someone) face to face with hostile or argumentative intent.
"he confronted the robbers as they were trying to leave"

Are they each two people? Man that would really blow up the cap!

:)

1661805245277.png

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Even his home town Buffalo who has cap space and need, know better than to get Kane. He only takes ice time away from those who need it. Which is why Sandin has to leave Toronto. He needs ice time that Gio is taking. But we are in position to win now.
Kane would be OK for low dollars, but at his price? Who goes? JT. ? Reilly plus? Willie plus?Not one chance in heck is he going to be a Leaf.
Sandin Holl Kerfoot Robertson

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Even his home town Buffalo who has cap space and need, know better than to get Kane. He only takes ice time away from those who need it. Which is why Sandin has to leave Toronto. He needs ice time that Gio is taking. But we are in position to win now.
Kane would be OK for low dollars, but at his price? Who goes? JT. ? Reilly plus? Willie plus?Not one chance in heck is he going to be a Leaf.

I'm not saying it won't happen but moving Sandin because a fading Giordano is on the roster would be a huge shortsighted error. Now if Sandin were packaged to upgrade the defense in some major way, I can possibly see doing that for the right player for a team trying to contend.

Kane makes zero sense for the Leafs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I really don't see how we could improve on Gio and Liljegren at less than two mil.

If you consider them the 2nd then in theory it's Muzzin and Holl/Sandin.

I guess if we could turn Sandin and Holl into a bruising defensive defenseman we'd have the missing piece but ultimately not a lot of flexibility there.

I also think we are locked in a goal until one of them explode.

Sadly any changes for a player who makes more than a mil is tricky.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I guess if we could turn Sandin and Holl into a bruising defensive defenseman we'd have the missing piece but ultimately not a lot of flexibility there.
Their usage of Boosh in the playoffs suggests management agrees with you. Keefe really wants a go-to bruiser and went into depression when he lost Muzzin. The search continues.

A top 4 bruiser is pricey though. Acquiring one is harder than making cap space for one. We can't put a no.6 like Boosh up there again and expect the void to be filled. That was so silly. They should have went all in skill and IQ with Sandin and Lil (mostly Lil since Sandin was blocked) instead of patch working physicality.

Reactions: BlueBaron

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs comes down to Dubas' gamble on 2 goalies. Outcome: unknowable. They have a very good defense actually.
Goaltending has question marks
D is good, but thin
The top two players are about as good as you can find on the planet
2nd line still has questions
Kampf is fine, you can win with him
No one knows about the rest of the line up, but they have options.
They're not cap compliant and will have to make some decisions.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Their usage of Boosh in the playoffs suggests management agrees with you. Keefe really wants a go-to bruiser and went into depression when he lost Muzzin. The search continues.

A top 4 bruiser is pricey though. Acquiring one is harder than making cap space for one. We can't put a no.6 like Boosh up there again and expect the void to be filled. That was so silly. They should have went all in skill and IQ with Sandin and Lil (mostly Lil since Sandin was blocked) instead of patch working physicality.
My hope is our goalies work out so we can focus on one add. Agreed that the salary is secondary, especially at the deadline.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad