Speculation: Will Dave Nonis still be the GM starting next season?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I just can't believe that there is no one else out there who has "connections in the NHL and knows which General Managers are easier to deal with over others" and knows "all of the agents out there and the agencies they have to deal with when negotiating contracts"

For example, Burke, Nonis, Hunter & Dubas all left their jobs to come work for the Leafs. So we can include folks who are currently employed elsewhere when we consider the organizations options. The notion that the Leafs can't move forward effectively without Dave Nonis because he's the only one who knows anything strikes me as kind of absurd.

Another thing that would strike me as absurd: not hold any management accountable for one of the worst debacles I've witnessed in my decades as a Leafs fan. That's something only Nonis can chiefly take responsibility for.

There are absolutely other guys out there with GM connections, problem is those guys all want to bring in their own guys, from coaches to assistant GM's, new scouts, etc. This organization basically just flipped all those positions within the last year. I think we should stay the course and Nonis can still do all of Shanahan's grunt work. I really believe this organization needs some stability because the turn over has been crazy the last ten years and i think it needs to start from the top.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I just can't believe that there is no one else out there who has "connections in the NHL and knows which General Managers are easier to deal with over others" and knows "all of the agents out there and the agencies they have to deal with when negotiating contracts"

For example, Burke, Nonis, Hunter & Dubas all left their jobs to come work for the Leafs. So we can include folks who are currently employed elsewhere when we consider the organizations options. The notion that the Leafs can't move forward effectively without Dave Nonis because he's the only one who knows anything strikes me as kind of absurd.

Another thing that would strike me as absurd: not hold any management accountable for one of the worst debacles I've witnessed in my decades as a Leafs fan. That's something only Nonis can chiefly take responsibility for.

Agreed 100%.

Mar 26, 2010
I'll be utterly shocked if Nonis is still here by the draft... he's gotta be held accountable here.

Yes, Nonis should be accountable for the Phaneuf contract and let go based simply off of that.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Burke may have brought these players in, but Nonis made them either untradeable or extremely tough to get value back with his deals.

Burke lit a match and started a fire. Nonis had a bucket of water and a can of gas. He chose the gas.

Burke made the Kessel trade and he was a loudmouth (the two aspects people remember/hate the most), but I'd take both over handing out big, long and outrageous contracts like candy.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
With the Clarkson contract,

the Phaneuf contract, and dare I say the Kessel contract, locking up three players worth approximately 20 mil on a team, neither of those include a true #1C or a true #1D. That is absolutely horrendous.

Phaneuf will be making 7 mil as a 35 y/o. Can you imagine that? Kessel is still a bit below market value.

I will say if Nonis is GM by October next year I will officially stop following, and supporting the Leafs.

Burke actually did a decent job with assembling a half decent team, that is why we saw that one playoff year. Whats different from that year too these years? WE LOST OUR WHOLE SECOND LINE. How can you just let Grabovski, Kulemin and McArthur who were huge parts of the Leafs organizations walk for nothing? They are exactly, EXACTLY what we lack, a shutdown line who can score, so that the 1st line doesnt have to play against the opponents 1st line.

Consider this: Burkie left Nonis with a top 6 of:

Kessel-Bozak-JVR
Kulemin-Grabo-McArthur/Kadri/Lupul

What does Nonis do? He takes away a whole god for saken line. Absolutely atrocious. He then goes and invests 20 million dollars of cap space in to three players, instead of keeping all Grabo, McArthur and Kulemin, he spends 7 mil on Phaneuf, 8 on Kessel and 5 on Clarkson.

I cannot reiterate this enough, Burke did an alright job, Nonis just butchered everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad