Speculation: Will Dave Nonis still be the GM starting next season?

Mar 26, 2010
Will Nonis still be with the Leafs next season or will he be let go this summer?

IMO, he needs to go. Giving out some awful contracts that have literally handcuffed the organization.

So, Yes or No?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think he stays and for one reason.

Nonis doesn't have final say on anything anymore.

He is part of a management group. Decisions are discussed and made as a group.

He may keep the GM tag but he doesn't have autonomy.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
I would think ownership would insist on firing him after the clarkson trade. Costing them 25 million to clean up his mistake.

Even the richest franchise can't like paying that kind of dough for a player likely to never play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Bingo. He's Greg Sherman.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON

Basically this.

Nonis is essentially like an Assistant GM with Pridham, Dubas and some input from Fletcher. Shanny makes the final decision on the big things.

Durkin67

I vote no. Is he the guy you want picking your head coach going forward?

Is he the guy you want trading Phaneuf and Kessel?

Is he your architect as you enter the first full rebuild in modern history?

If not, there is no justification in keeping him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Basically this.

Nonis is essentially like an Assistant GM with Pridham, Dubas and some input from Fletcher. Shanny makes the final decision on the big things.

We don't need a jewelry G.M. We need Accountability from one person running the show. There is to many places to hide in this assistant slash "management group" phrase.

Nonis is essentially jewlery but it doesn't match the hat. Someone needs to be wearing that hat. I don't want to hear this management group excuse any longer. Shanahan better get us a new G.M.

Nonis owns this mess and for that he gets released. They should do it right away actually.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Can't say he's done a great job with drafting. Obviously over estimated the capabilities of this group, so what is he good at? Nothing that warrants keeping him around

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I vote no. Is he the guy you want picking your head coach going forward?

Is he the guy you want trading Phaneuf and Kessel?

Is he your architect as you enter the first full rebuild in modern history?

If not, there is no justification in keeping him.

No I would not want him making decisions. Fire,release him immediately. He might be privy to some trade information that's on hold though. That could prolong the process of relieving him of duties.

Its the only ace he might have up his sleeve.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think there is enough grounds for firing him if they want to.

I just think he will still be here next year for some reason. In the right capacity, Nonis can be useful.

Durkin67

No I would not want him making decisions. Fire,release him immediately. He might be privy to some trade information that's on hold though. That could prolong the process of relieving him of duties.

Its the only ace he might have up his sleeve.

Fair point... sort of like when rick dudley was offered the MTL gig...

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I think they keep him around for his insight as he has been around the league for some time. Also he makes a good fall guy if things go horribly wrong.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I think he has value to the organization, but perhaps in a diminished role. Can't honestly say without knowing the nuances within the corporation. Once the Leafs replace Shanahan with me I'll give it my undivided attention.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Shanny will probably just assume the role of president and general manager, like Burke was. What do you guys think of that? Well depending on who is available.

Durkin67

Shanny will probably just assume the role of president and general manager, like Burke was. What do you guys think of that? Well depending on who is available.

Works for me. But Nonis has the rapport with other GMs. Do you make him an assistant like Burke did?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
No. He's gone. He's done an awful job. Built an awful, capped out team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad