Speculation: Will Dave Nonis still be the GM starting next season?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke
Dreger "my sense is, I believe Nonis is going to be back. That's the feel I get around the org & the Leafs need a hatchet man"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke
Dreger "at this point in the rebuild do you bring in a fresh guy [to replace Nonis]?" I don't know if that makes a ton of sense"

Well Darren, I'm pretty sure I can think of atleast one or 2 reasons why that WOULD make a ton of sense...

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
Nonis Appreciation Thread

Consider this,

His superior gets fired under the pretenses of marital/cheating issues.

Is thrust in the Toronto media hot-fire, looks shell-shocked by the looks of it.

Signs Clarkson to that atrocious contract, but then trades him to Columbus.

Makes some decent free-agent signings, is a team guy. Doesn't complain and follows the rules.

Most importantly, even though Leiweke signs Shanahan who then signs Dubas and Hunter. Not once did he complain.

Yet there's people ready to run him out of town for a sexier GM, someone with more experience and so on. I can't be the only Leafs fan that's willing to keep him around.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Consider this,

His superior gets fired under the pretenses of marital/cheating issues.

Is thrust in the Toronto media hot-fire, looks shell-shocked by the looks of it.

Signs Clarkson to that atrocious contract, but then trades him to Columbus.

Makes some decent free-agent signings, is a team guy. Doesn't complain and follows the rules.

Yet there's people ready to run him out of town for a sexier GM, someone with more experience and so on.

Most importantly, even though Leiweke signs Shanahan who then signs Dubas and Hunter. Not once did he complain.

I can't be the only Leafs fan that's willing to keep him around.

• Your reason for the Burke firing are not factual.
  • Nonis signed Clarkson but trading him was no wizard move on his part. The deal fell on his lap with Columbus initiating it and he acquired Nathan Horton who will never play again but will be paid every cent till the contract ends. That's a straight up loss in a business sense.

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
  • Nonis signed Clarkson but trading him was no wizard move on his part. The deal fell on his lap with Columbus initiating it and he acquired Nathan Horton who will never play again but will be paid every cent till the contract ends. That's a straight up loss in a business sense.

That was like the least important point. Whatever the reason he got canned, Burkie is gone and Nonis got thrust in to the fire that is the Toronto media market.

And you can't say getting rid of that huge contract is no big deal. Half the Hfboards and hockey fans in general said we'd be saddled with that thing forever.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

to be fair - on the second one, Nonis was working on moving Clarkson with Ottawa and New Jersey. Columbus contacted them yes, but Nonis was going to move him out

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Dave Nonis will be around to help out Dubas and Hunter at the NHL level. When people come to a new job they don't just automatically hand the employees the keys to the empire especially if they have never been in the job at the NHL level before.

The fact is; Nonis has connections in the NHL and knows which General Managers are easier to deal with over others. Plus, the General Manager would have to know all of the agents out there and the agencies they have to deal with when negotiating contracts.

There are many items that a General Manager would have to know and it makes sense for the Maple Leafs to keep someone that knows how it works at the NHL level to help out some of the new managers coming into the organization. The Leafs will still keep Nonis until the next season at the very least.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's important to know Nonis was in on the hiring of Hunter and Dubas. He interviewed them both, so one can say both Dubas and Hunter are here because of Nonis.

Not sure why everyone believes the Assistant GM and the Director of player personnel overrule the Senior Vice President & General Manager that is Dave Nonis. In just what universe would this make sense?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
"I think it's pretty obvious that we're going to do what we can to put some new blood into our organization."
-Dave Nonis on recent additions to the Leafs prospect pool.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-mind-bending-slump-of-phil-kessel-1.237357
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is an admission by Nony that scouting and development by the Leafs has been and is very poor. I don't think this is a surprise to many of us, he's essentially saying that the feeder system is nearly empty so TO needs new blood because what's in the system isn't even close to good enough.

The question is why was a poor system allowed to continue?

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke
Dreger "my sense is, I believe Nonis is going to be back. That's the feel I get around the org & the Leafs need a hatchet man"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke
Dreger "at this point in the rebuild do you bring in a fresh guy [to replace Nonis]?" I don't know if that makes a ton of sense"

classic Dreger just banging the Nonis should keep his job drum to try and help his cousin out.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
"I think it's pretty obvious that we're going to do what we can to put some new blood into our organization."
-Dave Nonis on recent additions to the Leafs prospect pool.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-mind-bending-slump-of-phil-kessel-1.237357
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is an admission by Nony that scouting and development by the Leafs has been and is very poor. I don't think this is a surprise to many of us, he's essentially saying that the feeder system is nearly empty so TO needs new blood because what's in the system isn't even close to good enough.

The question is why was a poor system allowed to continue?

Very good question. Not to mention, systemic changes with the leafs organization didn't begin until Shanahan's hiring. Before Nonis was either unwilling, or incapable of doing them.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Very good question. Not to mention, systemic changes with the leafs organization didn't begin until Shanahan's hiring. Before Nonis was either unwilling, or incapable of doing them.

Shany has brought in Hunter and Dubas but the rest of the scouting dept. has basically remained the same so essentially he has probably added quality to a very shaky foundation. I would be looking for him to make massive changes to the scouting dept., it pains me to know that that same old scouting fraternity is still employed by the Leafs and probably still making impactful drafting/trading/signing decisions that TO will have to live with for many more years into the future.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, current Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis’ status with the NHL hockey club remains in doubt as this dreadful season creeps to a conclusion. He has three years remaining on his contract but there is considerable debate as to whether he will return.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/2...eturning-home-one-day-will-remain-a-hot-topic

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR NONIS?

On the last day of the GMs’ meetings in Florida, Dave Nonis walked out the back door, avoided most media, and hardly spoke to anyone. Many — including several of his colleagues — wondered if he was walking out for the very last time.

Nonis’ status with the Maple Leafs remains in doubt as this dreadful season creeps to a conclusion. He has three years remaining on his contract but there is considerable debate as to whether he will return.

The Leafs front office has been in much upheaval in recent years. This season began with Brendan Shanahan as president, who didn’t hire Nonis as GM, who didn’t hire Randy Carlyle as coach, who didn’t really hire his own assistant coaches. It was disconnect after disconnect. So now Shanahan has to make a determination.

Does he add another layer of disconnect? A new general manager who hasn’t hired his own staff, or does he believe in the people who are somewhat responsible for this team of dysfunction? Shanahan pays little attention to what anyone else thinks or says but he has a tough call here, particularly with the layers of inexperience around him and public in need of a sacrificial lamb.

There has been no indication from Shanahan on Nonis’ future but those in Florida at league meetings wondered and worried about their friend.

Tyler Biggs*

All team bashing aside if he actually pulls off some much needed moves this off season this team has a chance of being respectable next season with the young, talented players this team has.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
All team bashing aside if he actually pulls off some much needed moves this off season this team has a chance of being respectable next season with the young, talented players this team has.

What kind of moves are you imagining?

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
It's important to know Nonis was in on the hiring of Hunter and Dubas. He interviewed them both, so one can say both Dubas and Hunter are here because of Nonis.

Not sure why everyone believes the Assistant GM and the Director of player personnel overrule the Senior Vice President & General Manager that is Dave Nonis. In just what universe would this make sense?

Shanahan fired Loiselle & Poulin.

Dubas was a case of Shanahan, Dave's boss, going to Dave and effectively saying "I want to hire this guy to help with the analytics you've ignored. Talk to him."

Mark Hunter, a Knights alumni Shanahan got to know, wasn't much different.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/all-roads-lead-back-to-london/
He helped organize a summit on the game, started thinking about the business beyond his own playing career and skated with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League to keep his legs ready if the NHL resumed competition, which it never did that season.

It was during those skates he got to know the Hunter boys, Dale and Mark, better than he had before, and in turn, they retired his Knights jersey.

A decade later, interestingly, Shanahan, as president of the Leafs, started the chain of events that saw the club hire Mark Hunter Tuesday as director of player personnel.

“I put Mark and Dave (Nonis) together, and that’s sort of where I stepped back,†said Shanahan.

"In just what universe would" "Senior Vice President & General Manager that is Dave Nonis" overrule President Brendan Shanahan?

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Shanahan fired Loiselle & Poulin.

Dubas was a case of Shanahan, Dave's boss, going to Dave and effectively saying "I want to hire this guy to help with the analytics you've ignored. Talk to him."

Mark Hunter, a Knights alumni Shanahan got to know, wasn't much different.

"In just what universe would" "Senior Vice President & General Manager that is Dave Nonis" overrule President Brendan Shanahan?

Dubas himself stated that the conversations he had with Nonis were what convinced him to take the job in Toronto. I assume those conversation dealt a great deal with analytics.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
The fact is; Nonis has connections in the NHL and knows which General Managers are easier to deal with over others. Plus, the General Manager would have to know all of the agents out there and the agencies they have to deal with when negotiating contracts.

There are many items that a General Manager would have to know and it makes sense for the Maple Leafs to keep someone that knows how it works at the NHL level to help out some of the new managers coming into the organization. The Leafs will still keep Nonis until the next season at the very least.

I just can't believe that there is no one else out there who has "connections in the NHL and knows which General Managers are easier to deal with over others" and knows "all of the agents out there and the agencies they have to deal with when negotiating contracts"

For example, Burke, Nonis, Hunter & Dubas all left their jobs to come work for the Leafs. So we can include folks who are currently employed elsewhere when we consider the organizations options. The notion that the Leafs can't move forward effectively without Dave Nonis because he's the only one who knows anything strikes me as kind of absurd.

Another thing that would strike me as absurd: not hold any management accountable for one of the worst debacles I've witnessed in my decades as a Leafs fan. That's something only Nonis can chiefly take responsibility for.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Dubas himself stated that the conversations he had with Nonis were what convinced him to take the job in Toronto. I assume those conversation dealt a great deal with analytics.

Shanahan fired Loiselle & Poulin. Not Nonis.

When Shanahan was hired, he said he embarked on a mission to find the "brightest innovative" minds out there and Kyle's name kept coming up. Then he spent many hours talking to Kyle. After all that, he present Dubas to Nonis as someone Shanahan wanted to hire to address the analytics Nonis had largely ignored/kept on a back burner with an unspent budget.

If Nonis was going to be a big problem, yeah, Dubas might have declined. But if Nonis was a big problem for a guy Shanahan wanted, Nonis heavily risked being removed as he was standing in the way of progress Shanahan wanted to make.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I think "because" is a little too strong of a word here.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Shanahan fired Loiselle & Poulin. Not Nonis.

When Shanahan was hired, he said he embarked on a mission to find the "brightest innovative" minds out there and Kyle's name kept coming up. Then he spent many hours talking to Kyle. After all that, he present Dubas to Nonis as someone Shanahan wanted to hire to address the analytics Nonis had largely ignored/kept on a back burner with an unspent budget.

If Nonis was going to be a big problem, yeah, Dubas might have declined. But if Nonis was a big problem for a guy Shanahan wanted, Nonis heavily risked being removed as he was standing in the way of progress Shanahan wanted to make.

I would concur.

I personally think Nonis will be staying on, I think Shanahan & the Nonubashunter trio all have a role they are happy with. Titles may not be so accurate with this group, their roles seem more important than their title. What could create a change with Nonis' involvement would be a Babcock Coach/GM role. I initially thought this would be the plan, but now I'm thinking that giving Babcock a GM role may be too much & unwaranted.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think he will stay, but in a dufferent role, maybe they will change his title, but he will not be the head gm anymore. He is useful in that he has tons of experience, so unless they bring in someone else with NHL go experience he will probably stay. I can see them bumping him up to assistant to the president or something, that basically puts him in the everyday running of the corporation but not necessarily strictly rather hockey team anymore. Maybe Hunter gets gm title, "player personnel" duties and basically runs the transactions, scouting. Nonis is strictly Vice President. Regardless I think he stays in some capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad