News Article: Will Cuylle has the confidence to play for Rangers this season

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Tough crowd, Cuylle is a great prospect. Heavy shot, nasty game, plays to his strengths, second on the Pack in scoring last year as a 21-year old. I would give him a better chance of starting in the NHL this year than Othmann.

For a 60th overall pick just three years ago, that's way above rate. I bet he'd go like 25-30 picks earlier in a re-draft.
I would suspect his confidence comes more from how well he played in Hartford and not totally because he thinks the organization owes him a chance. He played very well down in Hartford last year and was noticeable during the game I saw down there live. He's ready for th eleap but I doubt the organization will give him his shot this year considering they signed essentially every 4th line plug that was available this off season.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I would suspect his confidence comes more from how well he played in Hartford and not totally because he thinks the organization owes him a chance. He played very well down in Hartford last year and was noticeable during the game I saw down there live. He's ready for th eleap but I doubt the organization will give him his shot this year considering they signed essentially every 4th line plug that was available this off season.

Yeah, he's really going to need to force their hand in camp to start with the big club. Like a few guys have said, I can see him getting a call up at some point and sticking though. Othmann might make it a bit trickier for him the longer it takes, but hopefully they'll both be kicking down the door by the end of the season.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Ed Jovanovski Has the Confidence to Post on HFNYR This Season

Ed Jovanovski says he has recovered from the sting of Vitali Kravtsov being dealt by the Rangers and is ready to post on HFNYR with confidence again.

"Sure, yeah, it hurt," Jovanovski said about last year's pre-deadline move that saw Kravtsov going to the Vancouver Canucks to clear cap space for the eventual deal for Patrick Kane. "It hurt my confidence a little," he admitted.

After the trade, Jovanovski fell into a period of binge-eating Pizza Hut and stopped playing at local pick-up games. He says that there were days when he wouldn't get out of bed and phone calls from his drunk uncle to check up on him were his only communication with the outside world.

Those phone calls from a concerned, but still drunk, uncle eventually became supportive pep talks.

"He told me to keep fighting," he pointed out, adding, "he mainly referred to the Rangers as 'The Man.'"

Now Jovanovski is now ready to bounce back, preparing to do what he says will be "volume-posting" this year.

"I feel my confidence is returning," he said. "My VO2 is better than it ever has been, and I'm set to go. I feel that I can keep contributing to HFNYR by identifying the next star Russian prospect and extolling his virtues to the unwashed masses here."

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ed Jovanovski Has the Confidence to Post at HFNYR This Season

Ed Jovanovski says he has recovered from the sting of Vitali Kravtsov being dealt by the Rangers and is ready to post on HFNYR with confidence again.

"Sure, yeah, it hurt," Jovanovski said about last year's pre-deadline move that saw Kravtsov going to the Vancouver Canucks in a salary-cap move to clear space for the eventual deal for Patrick Kane. "It hurt my confidence a little," he admitted.

But Jovanovski is now ready to move on, preparing to do what he says will be "volume-posting" this year.

"I feel my confidence is coming back," he said. "My VO2 is better than it ever has been, and I'm set to go. I feel that I can keep contributing to HFNYR by identifying the next star Russian prospect and extolling his virtues to the unwashed masses here."

Missing Pizza Hut and a reference to the support hes getting from his drunk uncle.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Unless his skating and footspeed have improved he will be nothing more than a 4th line pylon that opposing players skate around.
Weak take. Cuylle is an average to slightly above average skater.

Ed Jovanovski Has the Confidence to Post on HFNYR This Season

"Sure, yeah, it hurt," Jovanovski said about last year's pre-deadline move that saw Kravtsov going to the Vancouver Canucks to clear cap space for the eventual deal for Patrick Kane. "It hurt my confidence a little," he admitted.

After the trade, Jovanovski fell into a period of binge-eating Pizza Hut and stopped playing at local pick-up games. He says that there were days when he wouldn't get out of bed and phone calls from his drunk uncle to check up on him were his only communication with the outside world.

Those phone calls from a concerned, but still drunk, uncle eventually became supportive pep talks.

"He told me to keep fighting," he pointed out, adding, "he mainly referred to the Rangers as 'The Man.'"

Now Jovanovski is now ready to bounce back, preparing to do what he says will be "volume-posting" this year.

"I feel my confidence is returning," he said. "My VO2 is better than it ever has been, and I'm set to go. I feel that I can keep contributing to HFNYR by identifying the next star Russian prospect and extolling his virtues to the unwashed masses here."
Buyout still possible

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If his skating is up to snuff, some of the off-season acquisitions make little sense.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If his skating is up to snuff, some of the off-season acquisitions make little sense.
I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. Which acquisitions are you referring to? Which ones are stopping him from making the team?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
And what if his skating isn't up to snuff?

You don't not sign players on the hope that a prospect is ready. You sign the players and then let the prospect earn that spot.
I am sure the plan B in some people’s mind would have been to simply call up Brodzinski so he can continue to buzz around the ice and do a whole lot of nothing. Don’t worry, this is the year he will finally be recalled and pot a goal…

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And what if his skating isn't up to snuff?

You don't not sign players on the hope that a prospect is ready. You sign the players and then let the prospect earn that spot.

I'm going by the people who say his skating is good enough in this thread. If his skating isn't good enough then picking up the other guys was correct.

If his skating isn't good enough to be a 4th liner and his other attributes are good enough to play 4th line, his future upside isn't very promising.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm going by the people who say his skating is good enough in this thread. If his skating isn't good enough then picking up the other guys was correct.

If his skating isn't good enough to be a 4th liner and his other attributes are good enough to play 4th line, his future upside isn't very promising.
The point you're missing is that picking up those other players was the correct move regardless.

Reactions: JCProdigy and RGY

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The point you're missing is that picking up those other players was the correct move regardless.
The far bigger point to me is that if Cuylle isn't a good enough skater to make the 4th line, he obviously can't play above the 4th line, and that would probably mean he's worthless in the team's plans.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I am sure the plan B in some people’s mind would have been to simply call up Brodzinski so he can continue to buzz around the ice and do a whole lot of nothing. Don’t worry, this is the year he will finally be recalled and pot a goal…

I dont get why fans are obsessed with AHL all-stars lNHL scrubs ike Brodzinski. He can be replaced. He is not the 2ed coming of Dom Moore or Blair Betts. He’d be an NHL regular on a team on Bluejackets or Habs. He is not that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad