Will Crosby win a selke before his career is done?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think it's impossible for him to win a Selke, but it would be difficult for him to do so when Toews, Bergeron and Kopitar are the league's best 2-way forwards now and guys like Barkov will be there in the future.

Elite is quite the stretch.

No it's not, people forget that "2 way play" isn't only defensive play. I don't think it was elite, because elite offense+very good defense=/=elite 2-way, but it's not that huge of a stretch.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
If he wanted to purely focus on it I'm sure he could. But that would be a waste of his offensive abilities. For a player like crosby having a respectable to good defensive game is fitting enough. Crosby is supposed to contend for scoring titles.

How do you explain Datsyuk's sheer dominance in all 3 zones as the best defensive forward in hockey while racking up consecutive 97 point seasons (3 shy of 100 mind you)?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
How do you explain Datsyuk's sheer dominance in all 3 zones as the best defensive forward in hockey while racking up consecutive 97 point seasons (3 shy of 100 mind you)?

Why would you want me to explain it? That's something datsyuk did. also not sheer dominance. Really good yes but no dominance

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Lmao that was great. Mrv52 what season was that from I traced it back to March 2014 so I'm thinking 13-14. Not saying he doesn't have plenty of room to improve, but we have been getting glimpses that he is capable of elevating his defensive game and with his work ethic it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities that he will continue to trend upwards. Also,I'm still getting adjusted to the board. Do I quote someone to directly reply to them or do I just press the reply button at the end of the thread?

Welcome, you press reply to a poster you would like to reply to under their respective post. You can also multi-quote. Enjoy the boards! Don't mind everyone not answering, we are all in pre-season posting form ;)

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Why would you want me to explain it? That's something datsyuk did. also not sheer dominance. Really good yes but no dominance

Ok then you would disagree with Canadian mastermind coach Mike Babcock saying this summer he considered Datsyuk the best forward in the game from 07-10?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yzerman won one at 35. Sid's idol. I think the guy who spends every offseason getting better at something (faceoffs, speed, shot, etc.), is going to make it a priority to get better and better defensively as he ages.

No one in the league processes the game on his level. He coaches his teammates on the bench constantly. That'll translate to better defensive play in the coming years.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
No, he doesn't have the reputation for it that you need

Defensive zone face-off. A minute left. Shorthanded. Nursing a one goal lead. Win or go home. Which player are you picking?
Because I'm starting with Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
crosby-controller-disconnected.gif
Crosby%20Cam_zpsaq9pxsve.gif

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
no he won't because it is an award for inferior forwards that aren't capable of scoring a ton of points

crosby scores points

DyerMaker66*

Defensive zone face-off. A minute left. Shorthanded. Nursing a one goal lead. Win or go home. Which player are you picking?
Because I'm starting with Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews.

Crosby, because most other answers are wrong.

DyerMaker66*

Honest question, what do you want him to do in that situation? He's supposed to be covering the rebound. The Sharks player already has a defenseman on him with the goalie square to him.

There's no need for logic when you start bashing Crosby. Just post pics and say you're "joking".

DyerMaker66*

Ok then you would disagree with Canadian mastermind coach Mike Babcock saying this summer he considered Datsyuk the best forward in the game from 07-10?
Babcock considered his own player the best in the world? Get outta town.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Well, I can see it happening, not even because Crosby will improve his defensive game so much, but because when he declines and start scoring less, his fanboys will claim that it's just because he's become a defensive wizard who "sacrificed stats for team play". We've already seen that happening the last Pens-Caps series, when Crosby played like trash, but we've been told that he was amazing because he "shut down" Ovechkin's line (which didn't happen as well).

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He might. As time goes by I can definitely see Crosby dedicating his games more to all-around center's role.

I wouldn't bet for him to win it, but I think it's entirely feasible that he wins one at some point.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I would guess not simply because he's too good offensively to focus on defense enough to win it. Don't think that will change for pretty much ever.

holden57

Feb 3, 2011
I doubt he will ever win a Selke, but I am sure if he wanted to sacrifice some offense and make his defensive play a priority he could easily be seen in the same light as Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews etc...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I would guess not simply because he's too good offensively to focus on defense enough to win it. Don't think that will change for pretty much ever.

I don't know. Steve Yzerman was pretty great offensively but he refined his game in his 30's.

You are probably right though. Crosby will likely always be offense-orientated center simply because he's so great at it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I doubt he will ever win a Selke, but I am sure if he wanted to sacrifice some offense and make his defensive play a priority he could easily be seen in the same light as Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews etc...

For sure. He has all the tools including better speed and hockey sense than all of them which are each almost as important for defense as they are for offense.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think if he decides he wants to do it then he can win one. I wouldn't put a limit on any of his abilities as a forward, he's simply too good. Honestly, as a kid who grew up watching the Jordan Bulls, if Sid won a Selke it would be as impressive as Jordan winning defensive player of the year. It would be another notch on the belt that shows how well he sees and thinks the game. I hope he does win one.

However he would need to radically transform his game and a lot of the guys ahead of him would need to take a step or two back.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Always thought Crosby of being average defensively.

He used to be and still sometimes is. Crosby in some games is good enough to be considered as a Selke contender. But he lacks the consistency on that level. He's been above average for few years now though. But still has more defensive lapses than the likes of Bergeron and Kopitar.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If a guy like Thornton doesn't get much Selke attention because he's still seen as an offensive guy, I don't see how Crosby will do it unless he drastically changes his in-game focus. Not to say it can't happen the way it did with his Rocket season and his faceoffs though.

He has and did though and that is why we see the drop in PPG numbers in the playoffs.

Top five of all time? No. Just no. And Jagr doesn't belong there either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad