Will Crosby win a selke before his career is done?

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Crosby has been a consummate professional his entire career. He's always evolving as a player whether it was working on his shot and scoring 50 in the 2010 season or simply refining himself in the faceoff circle. Recently it has been his two-way play that has been garnering attention and it was a big factor in receiving Con Smythe votes over fellow teammates, Kessel and Murray. Can he possibly contend with the likes of Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron or will he always be a tier below them? Also, this is my first time posting on here so if I have done anything wrong or broken any rules please tell me.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If he wanted to purely focus on it I'm sure he could. But that would be a waste of his offensive abilities. For a player like crosby having a respectable to good defensive game is fitting enough. Crosby is supposed to contend for scoring titles.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think he'll be considered a candidate for quite some time, but I don't think he'll ever win one.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The Canadian media will make sure he does. Once his offense starts to dip in his mid 30s he'll start playing more defense to compensate.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Selke's all reputation based. If the media starts talking him up hsi defense hard, then he'll win one eventually but Bergeron's gonna be winning it for next3-5 years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Could happen. It's a reputation award and he's building his reputation. I wouldn't call it likely though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No, he doesn't have the reputation for it that you need

But he could if he would take the Yzerman path. Sacrifice some offense to make an effort on defense.

I'd say no, but are we talking Crosby putting his mind to do it or not?

There is a huge difference when he focuses on making something better. I wouldn't bet he couldn't, just unlikely.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Could happen. It's a reputation award and he's building his reputation. I wouldn't call it likely though.

Agreed.

The way he's been playing in the playoffs and especially at the world cup has raised some eyebrows concerning his defensive game. People started taking notice he was very involved on both ends of the ice.

I could see it happening if he keeps this up.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'm certain he could if he really focused on it. Who knows, he might transition into an elite two way guy once he starts declining offensively.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
If a guy like Thornton doesn't get much Selke attention because he's still seen as an offensive guy, I don't see how Crosby will do it unless he drastically changes his in-game focus. Not to say it can't happen the way it did with his Rocket season and his faceoffs though.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
crosby-controller-disconnected.gif

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Lmao that was great. Mrv52 what season was that from I traced it back to March 2014 so I'm thinking 13-14. Not saying he doesn't have plenty of room to improve, but we have been getting glimpses that he is capable of elevating his defensive game and with his work ethic it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities that he will continue to trend upwards. Also,I'm still getting adjusted to the board. Do I quote someone to directly reply to them or do I just press the reply button at the end of the thread?

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Sure he can. He can also add Norris and Vezina. He is just that talented.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It could happen, but who knows.

Previous Selke noms:
09-10 - 30th
12-13 - 15th
13-14 - 18th
14-15 - 19th
15-16 - 7th < - personal best

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Just see the final goal of the playoffs last year. On ice for (potential) face-off in a one goal game in Game 6 of SCF, blocks Vlasic's shot, passes it to Hornqvist for EN goal... just an example. He's clearly worked a lot on it, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win the Selke eventually.

As for that gif above, considering that player is on a 1 on 1 situation, I don't see why it's so funny seeing him being stationary. Is that ideal? Nope, but a lot of players do that normally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad