Will Crosby ever win another Art Ross?

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Lets just say its 10% for each of the next 4 years instead of 15% and descending just for simplified purposes.

That makes a grand total of 40% instead of your 38%.

Its 10% out of 100% per season.

You added up 4 years of chances into 1 season. Math doesnt work that way.

It would be 40% ( or your 38% ) out of 400%.

Which still beings his avg chance of winning to 10% a year for next 4 years.

Yep.

He would need to have four attempts at 10% within a season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Another "interesting" thing is that we all have been sure for years now that Crosby will surpass OV in career points. It seems pretty certain that it won't happen this year either. Not important in any ways and not meant as a comparison of these two. But it's crazy how sure we all were that Crosby will overtake Ovechkin in career points at least two seasons a go.

I think most average fans just assumed that Crosby was already well ahead of Ovechkin in points. Many only noticed they were mistaken when Ovechkin reached 1000pts first. Then confusion reigned

Reactions: Zuluss

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think he will. The league is just becoming more of a speed game and at this point I don't believe his overall offensive skills are on par with McDavid and MacKinnon anyway.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
No, I know its a cardinal sin to say this on hf, but his play has been on a decline, for a couple years now with the couple of dozen Pens games I watched. Still a top 5 forward, the torch was passed to Mcdavid's generation. Factor in his age and injury issues, just seems very unlikely.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No, I know its a cardinal sin to say this on hf, but his play has been on a decline, for a couple years now with the couple of dozen Pens games I watched. Still a top 5 forward, the torch was passed to Mcdavid's generation. Factor in his age and injury issues, just seems very unlikely.

Bs. Jk.

Reactions: bs

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
St.Louis, HSedin and Thorton won the Art Ross at old ages.

What Crosby needs is an elite young linemate who can make plays without his help. As it stands, it's impossible for him to win when he has to do everything himself every night. Even if Crosby was younger, the result would be similar. None of his current linemates are close to being as good as Kunitz was.

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so unless Pittsburgh turns into Edmonton. Gets a good pick such as a good young elite linemate that plays with Crosby. There are some incredible players coming up who are all going to be in the Art Ross race, I think Crosby's incredible years are over. Not to say he's not a great player.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

What Crosby needs is an elite young linemate who can make plays without his help. As it stands, it's impossible for him to win when he has to do everything himself every night. Even if Crosby was younger, the result would be similar. None of his current linemates are close to being as good as Kunitz was.

That is the biggest lie on HFboards.

Crosby gets plenty of ice time with Malkin, Kessel, and Letang. They are all over his scoring logs:

Sidney Crosby 2017-18 Scoring Log | Hockey-Reference.com

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

Thornton was 26 when he won his Art Ross.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't think he will. The league is just becoming more of a speed game and at this point I don't believe his overall offensive skills are on par with McDavid and MacKinnon anyway.

Then there's this guy...

post-April6.jpg

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Yes, the ancient 26-year old Joe Thornton.

(I know you probably meant St.Louis)

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
As a pens fan I don’t see it happening. He would need an injection of talent like a Sprong type in order to do it.

His revolving line mates hadn’t helped his numbers this year. Also he just seems a little off. Definitely not as dominant.

I would hope to think he’s just saving himself for the playoffs. Otherwise it’s a confidence issue which could be solved next year. Otherwise he’s starting to get old and slow down like Yzerman did.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If he wins another Art Ross it will be because of an injury to McDavid and other younger currently better players.

Reactions: Allen Degenerate

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is unlikely that a player who could only manage 2 art rosses through 13 seasons of their prime is going to defy the odds and improve into their 30's.

I'd bet against it.

Sidney Crosby not even a top 30 player this season - 15th in scoring, heavily dependent on secondary assists (which account for more than 33% of his points), heavily dependent on ice time with Malkin, Letang and Kessel to lift his scoring, and a minus player on a very good team (Malkin is +18).

It's genuinely sad how you have to hate on Crosby like you do. Just sad.

Seriously, why do you do what you do? The secondary assist argument has been dismantled time after time, yet you still screech about it. +/- is a garbage stat. And are you seriously saying Crosby relies on Kris Letang to produce? Seriously? This site tries to argue that Letang is an awful player that just leeches off of Crosby and Malkin, now Crosby is leeching off of him?

The secondary assist thing isn't even true, either. Crosby has 23 goals, 29 primary assists and 25 secondary assists. It's basically an even split, which is what most players have. Kucherov has 37 goals, 29 primary assists and 28 secondary assists. McDavid has 34 goals, 31 primary assists and 25 secondary assists. Giroux has 26 goals, 31 primary assists and 30 secondary assists. Kopitar has 29 goals, 27 primary assists and 26 secondary assists. I could keep going on, but I think you get my point. Of the top-10 scorers in hockey, only MacKinnon and Wheeler have dramatically more primary assists than secondary assists. That's really it. To attack Crosby for that just shows that you'll cling to anything, no matter how nonsensical, to pathetically attack Crosby.

If he wins another Art Ross it will be because of an injury to McDavid and other younger currently better players.

There aren't any other younger currently better players other than McDavid. MacKinnon having 1 better season doesn't make him better than Crosby. I do agree with you, though, that a healthy Crosby most likely won't beat a healthy McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987 and TNT87

DenOnde

Dec 5, 2016
Finland
Lets just say its 10% for each of the next 4 years instead of 15% and descending just for simplified purposes.

That makes a grand total of 40% instead of your 38%.

Its 10% out of 100% per season.

You added up 4 years of chances into 1 season. Math doesnt work that way.

It would be 40% ( or your 38% ) out of 400%.

Which still beings his avg chance of winning to 10% a year for next 4 years.

I love it when some smart-ass tries to school other users but ends up showing everybody just how dumb he is...
Math works exactly that way. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Please shut up and let the grown ups talk

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Crosby has had one season over 90 points in his past 8 seasons. He’s not winning another scoring race.

McDavid may have his second straight 100 point season - and that’s with a god awful power play.

Crosby will continue to do well - but what we are seeing from him this year is normal for him lately - not a down year. He’s right around a PPG player now.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

He arguably wins the Art Ross last season if not for missing time.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby has had one season over 90 points in his past 8 seasons. He’s not winning another scoring race.

McDavid may have his second straight 100 point season - and that’s with a god awful power play.

Crosby will continue to do well - but what we are seeing from him this year is normal for him lately - not a down year. He’s right around a PPG player now.

He was leading in PPG well into the last part of the season just last year. Do people have such short memories?

OldManGroin

Mar 9, 2018
I love it when some smart-ass tries to school other users but ends up showing everybody just how dumb he is...
Math works exactly that way. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Please shut up and let the grown ups talk

You must be the kid who tries to force the square block into the circle and ends up breaking the toy for everyone else.

Can you please get your mommy or daddy on here please. They need to be told they failed at home schooling you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean, if you ignore that pesky little thing called context, I guess you can come to that conclusion.

Do people just forget that he won the Richard last year and was neck and neck with McDavid in points/game (and in points up to game 70)? Or are people just that biased that they need to discredit him at any opportunity?

DenOnde

Dec 5, 2016
Finland
You must be the kid who tries to force the square block into the circle and ends up breaking the toy for everyone else.

Can you please get your mommy or daddy on here please. They need to be told they failed at home schooling you.
Well I am a math teacher and understand how to calculate probabilities. Clearly you don´t...
But hey man, by all means explain to me how you feel that math works:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad