Speculation: Will Bylsma have the balls to bench Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinzilla*

Quick literally sucks right now. Worse than Fleury. I don't really have a point, but it's just interesting.

Penguinzilla*

Scuderi will never sit. Letang is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad there's a tiny chance he'll sit, but doubtful. Letang would have to be as bad as he is, plus lay down on the ice and weep, and then beg to never play again. Then there would be a slight chance he'd sit.

ObsessedCreative*

At his age Scuderi for 4 years was questionable at best. But it's worth mentioning that Scuderi would not be the first D-man to come in to Pittsburgh and look like crap playing under Bylsma. Only a year ago he was playing first pairing for a very solid Kings team that went deep.

DING DING DING, just like I've been saying all along the biggest problem is Bylsma and his "system" look what happened with Z before, while, and after he was here.

It's happened to multiple players, Bylsma is literally killing this team, franchise, and usually very solid players.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
DING DING DING, just like I've been saying all along the biggest problem is Bylsma and his "system" look what happened with Z before, while, and after he was here.

It's happened to multiple players, Bylsma is literally killing this team, franchise, and usually very solid players.

Like how Niskanen was awesome for Dallas but has declined since coming here. Wait...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like how Niskanen was awesome for Dallas but has declined since coming here. Wait...

So, Nisky is better for having had Bylsma. Is Sid a better player than June 2009? Is Geno? Letang? How is Neal as a player compared to his three zones game in Dallas? How about Maatta compared to November?

Sorry, but the day the Pens won the cup, the day Bylsma made this his team with his system and surrounded himself with his stooges . . . well, save Nisky, I can't think of a player who has improved.

How depressing. To think of what might of been before this team became about Bylsma's ego, leadership from useless vets, and Shero's homage to Nashville first and Sid, Geno, and youth and energy second.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
So, Nisky is better for having had Bylsma. Is Sid a better player than June 2009? Is Geno? Letang? How is Neal as a player compared to his three zones game in Dallas? How about Maatta compared to November?

Sorry, but the day the Pens won the cup, the day Bylsma made this his team with his system and surrounded himself with his stooges . . . well, save Nisky, I can't think of a player who has improved.

How depressing. To think of what might of been before this team became about Bylsma's ego, leadership from useless vets, and Shero's homage to Nashville first and Sid, Geno, and youth and energy second.

What?

Neal became a 40 goal scorer under this system.

Pascal Dupuis became a legitimate first line option under this system.

Your Maatta quote is puzzling as he's still a rookie and he's likely done what most rookies do in their first season: fade a bit down the stretch. More games and more physical games generally do that.

Kris Letang became a Norris nominee under Bylsma.

Those are just the examples off of the top of my head.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
What?

Your Maatta quote is puzzling as he's still a rookie and he's likely done what most rookies do in their first season: fade a bit down the stretch. More games and more physical games generally do that.

Ok... I went to the game Saturday night and there were soooo many blatent errors and turnovers it is impossible to point at one person for the teams "short comings".

First off, Malkin and Neal looked like they showed up to attend a public skate. If the puck wasn't on their stick, they weren't skating. If they missed a pass or the puck was just out of reach they would go for a skate (about a 25ft radius coasting turn), instead of making a quick stop and start. You could effectively blame Bylsma for this type of laziness because it has not been extinguished through constructive discipline at all this year. Why is it Malkin can be lazy and make bad decisions and plays for an entire game and still get 30 minutes of ice time. Yet if it is anyone else on the team, one simple error they will not see another shift.
Scuderi is another issue. His problems cannot be connected to coaching unless the systems implemented by the coaching staff constantly cause him to be out of position and slow footed. I think the management and Penguins fans expected waaaay to much from Scuds. In his first tour let us not forget he was paired with Hal Gill which now seems to be who the true "shutdown man" was in that pairing. In LA he played with probably (arguably) the best (or one of) defenseman in the league Drew Doughty. Since he has been paired with partners that are equally as good/bad (depending on how you look at it) since his return to PIT his game sticks out like a sore thumb. He should sit game 3 and someone should hold Shero's nose to the fire for signing him for 4 years. Regardless he IS NOT a puck moving defenseman, trying to make him one at this point in his career, forget it. Trying to pair him and Letang (when Letang is having troubles himself) is just adding to a recipe for disaster. Sit him and add Bortuzzo and at the very least you will add a bit more physicality to the line-up.
I have to say for as many games as I watched this year (pretty close to all 82) and in years past. Saturday was probably one of the worst efforts I have ever seen from #87. Everytime he had possession of the puck in the offensive zone from the blueline to the hash marks, he turned the puck over. Whether it was a blind backhand pass to nobody or an attempt to thread the needle through 4 Columbus defenders, the play went the other way and usually in favorable numbers for Columbus. I'm not sure if it was the fact that Dubinsky took a run at him everttime he touched the puck or what, but he did not look even close to being the most dominant player in the league. Never once in the entire game did it look like he had the will or want to take control of that game. When your leader is making turnovers left and right and looks fatigued, who are you to look at for motivation...? I could have probably picked 5 people out of the stands that would have at the very least played with more heart and determination than #87, #71, #18, #58, and #4.
A Brian Gibbons fan I am NOT, but when he left that game on Saturday the rest of the Penguins left with him. As odd as it may sound he was the only one providing the team with a pulse with his energetic play in the first period. His speed through the neutral zone was incredible and although not really what you want in regard to a physical player, his skating alone was exciting enough to provide a spark.
Last of all, a question... How is it possible that a team loaded with stars, specifically on the powerplay unit, cannot break the puck into the zone while on the PP?????? You out number Columbus by 1 and they are playing really aggressive at the blueline. Why are you trying to make 6 neutral zone passes so you can skate the puck in the zone??? DUMP THE F'ING PUCK!!!! Either everyone is too good/lazy to chase down the dump, or they are so good (on paper obviously) that the other team just needs to bow down and let them enter the zone uncontested. At the professional level these players should not have to be reminded that a PP is not a BREAK!! It needs to be an incentive to work harder and make the opposing team pay for their mistakes. Yes you outman them, but you need to outwork them.
So wrapping it up I'd say Tuesday night was 60% coaching, 15% Scuds/Letang pairing, 10% lack of effort from Geno and Neal, 10% where the hell was our captain?, and 5% losing Gibbons (sad when a career AHL'er outshines the captain).

Last edited:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Ok... I went to the game Saturday night and there were soooo many blatent errors and turnovers it is impossible to point at one person for the teams "short comings".

First off, Malkin and Neal looked like they showed up to attend a public skate. If the puck wasn't on their stick, they weren't skating. If they missed a pass or the puck was just out of reach they would go for a skate (about a 25ft radius coasting turn), instead of making a quick stop and start. You could effectively blame Bylsma for this type of laziness because it has not been extinguished through constructive discipline at all this year. Why is it Malkin can be lazy and make bad decisions and plays for an entire game and still get 30 minutes of ice time. Yet if it is anyone else on the team, one simple error they will not see another shift.
Scuderi is another issue. His problems cannot be connected to coaching unless the systems implemented by the coaching staff constantly cause him to be out of position and slow footed. I think the management and Penguins fans expected waaaay to much from Scuds. In his first tour let us not forget he was paired with Hal Gill which now seems to be who the true "shutdown man" was in that pairing. In LA he played with probably (arguably) the best (or one of) defenseman in the league Drew Doughty. Since he has been paired with partners that are equally as good/bad (depending on how you look at it) since his return to PIT his game sticks out like a sore thumb. He should sit game 3 and someone should hold Shero's nose to the fire for signing him for 4 years. Regardless he IS NOT a puck moving defenseman, trying to make him one at this point in his career, forget it. Trying to pair him and Letang (when Letang is having troubles himself) is just adding to a recipe for disaster. Sit him and add Bortuzzo and at the very least you will add a bit more physicality to the line-up.
I have to say for as many games as I watched this year (pretty close to all 82) and in years past. Saturday was probably one of the worst efforts I have ever seen from #87. Everytime he had possession of the puck in the offensive zone from the blueline to the hash marks, he turned the puck over. Whether it was a blind backhand pass to nobody or an attempt to thread the needle through 4 Columbus defenders, the play went the other way and usually in favorable numbers for Columbus. I'm not sure if it was the fact that Dubinsky took a run at him everttime he touched the puck or what, but he did not look even close to being the most dominant player in the league. Never once in the entire game did it look like he had the will or want to take control of that game. When your leader is making turnovers left and right and looks fatigued, who are you to look at for motivation...? I could have probably picked 5 people out of the stands that would have at the very least played with more heart and determination than #87, #71, #18, #58, and #5.
A Brian Gibbons fan I am NOT, but when he left that game on Saturday the rest of the Penguins left with him. As odd as it may sound he was the only one providing the team with a pulse with his energetic play in the first period. His speed through the neutral zone was incredible and although not really what you want in regard to a physical player, his skating alone was exciting enough to provide a spark.
Last of all, a question... How is it possible that a team loaded with stars, specifically on the powerplay unit, cannot break the puck into the zone while on the PP?????? You out number Columbus by 1 and they are playing really aggressive at the blueline. Why are you trying to make 6 neutral zone passes so you can skate the puck in the zone??? DUMP THE F'ING PUCK!!!! Either everyone is too good/lazy to chase down the dump, or they are so good (on paper obviously) that the other team just needs to bow down and let them enter the zone uncontested. At the professional level these players should not have to be reminded that a PP is not a BREAK!! It needs to be an incentive to work harder and make the opposing team pay for their mistakes. Yes you outman them, but you need to outwork them.
So wrapping it up I'd say Tuesday night was 60% coaching, 15% Scuds/Letang pairing, 10% lack of effort from Geno and Neal, 10% where the hell was our captain?, and 5% losing Gibbons (sad when a career AHL'er outshines the captain).

original

ObsessedCreative*

What?

Neal became a 40 goal scorer under this system. - He became a 40 goal scorer because of MALKIN not the system.

Pascal Dupuis became a legitimate first line option under this system. - He was a legit 1st line option because we had no one else to play with him and Sid can carry anyone. NOT THE ****ING SYSTEM.

Your Maatta quote is puzzling as he's still a rookie and he's likely done what most rookies do in their first season: fade a bit down the stretch. More games and more physical games generally do that. - If you can't see that Maatta is something special I can't help you are blind.

Kris Letang became a Norris nominee under Bylsma. - This is down right piss your pants LOL-able.

Nick honestly **** and stop sucking Bylsma's balls for no reason... my responses are in bold.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Scuderi and Letang need to sit honestly, the Jackets hit and gain momentum from it, the Pens just sit back and take it. Bortuzzo would help keep them honest, even Despres being up and being able to skate and use that wide body of his against guys like Jenner would be a big help.

Quick literally sucks right now. Worse than Fleury. I don't really have a point, but it's just interesting.

You mean to tell me, and tell me if I am wrong here, that elite goaltenders or goaltenders the mass messageboarders think are elite, can suck balls in the playoffs?

*EXPLOSION*...Mind blown.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What?

Mibby, are you trolling me? :laugh:

Neal became a 40 goal scorer under Malkin.

Dupuis also was a top line guy in 2008.

Maatta plays more like a Pens defense man now than he did at the beginning of the year. I'm talking decision making, not wear and tear.

Letang . . . I'm just not going to go there.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Last night's game proved one thing about scuds, he can't play in a high speed game when you have to score and in the D zone he is a pylon. If it wasn't for Fleury, scuds would have given up at least two goals. But DB continues to play him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What?

Truth. Current struggles notwithstanding.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Don´t know if it was posted already, but here´s an article about how Scuderi sucks and about how his contract sucks..

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/...efense-analysis-penguins-stanley-cup-playoffs

If this sounds like a scathing criticism of Scuderi, well, that's probably because it is. But that's not really the intent. He's doing what he can, and whatever problems he is having are not from a lack of effort or a lack of understanding of what to do or how to do it. He just can't physically do it anymore.

It´s basically the same as what I did at the start of this thread. I´m just happy that media are starting to get involved when it comes to Scuderi. Nothing against a guy personally, he´s just done and is playing a league that is far above his current abilities. It sucks to watch him.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Don´t know if it was posted already, but here´s an article about how Scuderi sucks and about how his contract sucks..

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/...efense-analysis-penguins-stanley-cup-playoffs

It´s basically the same as what I did at the start of this thread. I´m just happy that media are starting to get involved when it comes to Scuderi. Nothing against a guy personally, he´s just done and is playing a league that is far above his current abilities. It sucks to watch him.

It seems like everyone recognizes the decline and poor play of Scuds except Pens management. To give the pens a better chance to win, there are better options >> Despres, borts, Eng and those down in W-B. But they continue to play him.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Pretty awesome article.

Too bad he didn't include the all the imaginary good things Scuds does.

Fire Shero*

It's hilarious people still defend Scuderi. But but but it's the system!

He's reached the point where he has seen better days. Too slow, not physical, can't move the puck, can't shoot. All he can do is block shots and play some defense as long as the opposing forward is in felt of him by 5 feet.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
What?

Crosby 10-11
Malkin 11-12

The best season by either player came under Bylsma.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
It's hilarious people still defend Scuderi. But but but it's the system!

He's reached the point where he has seen better days. Too slow, not physical, can't move the puck, can't shoot. All he can do is block shots and play some defense as long as the opposing forward is in felt of him by 5 feet.

This has been Scuderi in his days since he played in Wilkes Barre. If you've watched him throughout his years you'd know this. Only difference now it's "some" defense and not great defense. He's relied on positioning and smarts more than anything throughout his career. That's why I, personally, believe it's system more than player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad