Speculation: Will Bylsma have the balls to bench Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Now this is a question.. I don´t primarily blame Bylsma for our questionable PO performance so far, but now comes the time where he needs to make some decisions.

It´s obvious that our PK is a problem, every CBJ´s PP is a pain for us. Scuderi is and has been our WORST PKer all season long. Stats are clear at that and eyes don´t lie as well.

It´s obvious that Scuderi-Letang pair is an embarrassment. Orpik-Martin and Maatta-Niskanen aren´t excelling either, but they are nowhere close to awfulness of Scuderi-Letang.

There is just NO WAY that Bortuzzo doesn´t play after such a horrible defensive performances. You need to change something and Bortz comes to mind first. He´s beeen our best PKer statistically, so that could help. Some physicality could help as well.

Letang is awful, but let´s see what he can do with someone else than Scuderi. Scuderi sucks and the media are starting to recognize that as well. Bylsma is under pressure. Scuderi was on the ice for 3 goals against last night and was beaten by Dubinsky late in the 3rd where he had to take a crucial penalty.

Scuderi´s play is basically this: Fumbling every puck possible and losing a possession. Then being so slow that every slightly above-average skater can beat him 1-on-1. Then he falls down on ice in attempt to block the play but he fails at it 99% of times. So he happens to be out of position and it costs us goals. When he doesn´t fall down, then he screens his own goalie and has an ability to score some own goals, too. He´s statistically our worst PKer (7:21 of PK time for a goal against compared to Bortz´ 17 minutes!!). He´s an useless ES player as well.

It´s brutal. Does Bylsma have the balls to bench this horrible player? I would feel much better in this series without a liability like Scuderi on the ice. Bench him and go from there. We would still have a chance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Now this is a question.. I don´t primarily blame Bylsma for our questionable PO performance so far, but now comes the time where he needs to make some decisions.

It´s obvious that our PK is a problem, every CBJ´s PP is a pain for us. Scuderi is and has been our WORST PKer all season long. Stats are clear at that and eyes don´t lie as well.

It´s obvious that Scuderi-Letang pair is an embarrassment. Orpik-Martin and Maatta-Niskanen aren´t excelling either, but they are nowhere close to awfulness of Scuderi-Letang.

There is just NO WAY that Bortuzzo doesn´t play after such a horrible defensive performances. You need to change something and Bortz comes to mind first. He´s beeen our best PKer statistically, so that could help. Some physicality could help as well.

Letang is awful, but let´s see what he can do with someone else than Scuderi. Scuderi sucks and the media are starting to recognize that as well. Bylsma is under pressure. Scuderi was on the ice for 3 goals against last night and was beaten by Dubinsky late in the 3rd where he had to take a crucial penalty.

Scuderi´s play is basically this: Fumbling every puck possible and losing a possession. Then being so slow that every slightly above-average skater can beat him 1-on-1. Then he falls down on ice in attempt to block the play but he fails at it 99% of times. So he happens to be out of position and it costs us goals. When he doesn´t fall down, then he screens his own goalie and has an ability to score some own goals, too. He´s statistically our worst PKer (7:21 of PK time for a goal against compared to Bortz´ 17 minutes!!). He´s an useless ES player as well.

It´s brutal. Does Bylsma have the balls to bench this horrible player? I would feel much better in this series without a liability like Scuderi on the ice. Bench him and go from there. We would still have a chance.

No, he won't.

Maybe more important though is if he'd have the balls to break up Sid and Kunitz or JMN.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Not a chance. Scuderi should have been benched long ago. This is probably his old pal Shero also whispering in his ear (4 year contract....must play). Bylsma is the the guy who will essentially bench Bennett after scoring a goal or Despres for well, anything. Gotta grind. Gotta outwork.

I'd ****ing bench just about everyone right now, sans Gibbons (oh wait, he's injured....)

Just get the season over with so i can focus on the Pirates. So sick of wasting my time on this bush league garbage.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Kunitz and Neal need to get their heads out of their ****s but that´s their problem. It´s not about line combos, it´s about zero effort from Neal & Kunitz. Malkin and Sid are bad because they have zero support and are almost forced to make risky plays. But these players need to handle the situation, there´s only so much Bylsma can do with it.

Scuderi is a different story. He´s playing like this all season long while Kunitz & Neal have the potential to improve, I guess. That´s much different. Everyone is calling for Scuderi/Letang, Twitter guys, press conference guys, everyone.. It´s happening. You have Robert Bortuzzo waiting to replace ****ing Scuderi. You don´t have reasonable option to replace Kunitz or Neal and I don´t think that line juggling solves it.

Scuderi was on the ice for 3 goals against and he´s killing every offense as well. Please tell me ONE THING which Scuderi does decent these days. One ****ing thing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kunitz and Neal need to get their heads out of their ****s but that´s their problem. It´s not about line combos, it´s about zero effort from Neal & Kunitz. Malkin and Sid are bad because they have zero support and are almost forced to make risky plays. But these players need to handle the situation, there´s only so much Bylsma can do with it.

Scuderi is a different story. He´s playing like this all season long while Kunitz & Neal have the potential to improve, I guess. That´s much different. Everyone is calling for Scuderi/Letang, Twitter guys, press conference guys, everyone.. It´s happening. You have Robert Bortuzzo waiting to replace ****ing Scuderi. You don´t have reasonable option to replace Kunitz or Neal and I don´t think that line juggling solves it.

Scuderi was on the ice for 3 goals against and he´s killing every offense as well. Please tell me ONE THING which Scuderi does decent these days. One ****ing thing.

I'd bench Scuds and Orpik. Recall Despres and pair him with Borts. Martin with Letang.

By the way, if Scuds is benched, then Engo will dress, not Borts.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I'd bench Scuds and Orpik. Recall Despres and pair him with Borts. Martin with Letang.

By the way, if Scuds is benched, then Engo will dress, not Borts.
I don´t think so. There were numerous times where Borts was playing over Engo at the end of regular season. I can´t remember a recent example of Engo playing over Borts. Engo really killed his chances in that first of back-to-back Flyers games. Since then, he´s almost constantly in the pressbox.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I'd scratch Scuderi and Letang and get Borts and Depres in there. But what do I know, I'm just an unfrozen caveman hockey coach.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Scudarpik and Gladams getting benched is not going to happen. If Maatta or Bennett get burned 1 on 1 you might see a different line-up

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
At the very least i'd sit the rookie(Maata) for Bort and make new D-pairings but you're right. Scuds should be sat.

Bortuzzo absolutely should be in the lineup for game 3 and i'd probably bench 1 of the 2 guys thats in the GWG gif going around the internet right now.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
This is the best and most timely thread in a long time.

If Scuds and Adams are not benched, it means pens are done in six. This will mean losing big time money. Only Lemieux can prevent a first round elimination, hopefully he is not blind and or stupid. He has to step in since he is the only one that can correct this situation. No matter what happens (Cup or first round elimination), DB and RS better be gone since Scuds and Adams are their boys. And as a Fleury critic, I hope no one is blaming him for how bad scuds, letang and Adams are playing.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
You know I've been down on Orpik watching his decline for years now and I thought that the Scuderi signing was a great one at the time. I've also never been a big anti Bylsma guy either. But I watched Scuds the last few years in LA and at the beginning of his time here. The guy was a ******* in front of the net. One of his tricks I remember seeing both in LA and before our coaching staff got a hold of him was to get behind the guy parked in front of the net, chop at the back of his knee til it bent then move the now off balance player out of the net easily without taking a penalty. I know a lot of coaches teach the "front the man, block the shot" technique that the Pens use and I personally hate it. Seeing and hearing from guys who have left here how difficult the system is to play D in has opened my eyes.

Bench Scuds or not, but it doesn't matter as long as 'the system' of soft in front of the net is in place.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Was Scuderi this bad near the end of his run in LA? I wonder if he can be salvaged like Martin was or if he's just done.

NutCracker

Aug 9, 2008
I feel that Kunitz hasn't been problem at all. It's Sid who's bringing that line down right now with constant turnovers etc

Malkin112*

lol no, but Määttä's going to sit next game it's almost guaranteed.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I feel that Kunitz hasn't been problem at all. It's Sid who's bringing that line down right now with constant turnovers etc
It would help if Kunitz would be able to take/Make a pass for once. Or if he could convert a golden chance like the one he had in game 1. Kunitz is absolutely terribad. I´m not defending Crosby, but Kunitz is a biggest problem there. Same goes for Malkin/Neal.

But again, I can´t see Bylsma splitting Neal/Malkin & Kunitz-Crosby combos. They are relied upon for a while and it´s up to those players to show their level now.

Scuds is done as a hockey player for me. We should start at that. Glass and Adams are the same **it as Scuds but they aren´t playing such a meaningful minutes like Scuderi does. Scuderi is by far the biggest problem and it´s easy to solve it. Bench that loser and play Bortuzzo. Bortz would play with heart and Passion, I am sure about it. Maybe Letang could calm down a little being paired with someone competent also. OMG, my hatred of Scuderi reached an incredible level. It´s sky-high.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I'd scratch Scuderi and Letang and get Borts and Depres in there. But what do I know, I'm just an unfrozen caveman hockey coach.

I'd go with this. Scuderi isn't causing Letang to do anything that he wouldn't do with Martin or Nisky or Dave Burrows. They've both earned a press box seat with fat free, low salt nachos and no dip.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Kunitz has lost all of the physical aspect of his game. He's also been playing like crap in general for months. His scoring has dried up, too.

How is none of that a problem? :laugh:

-edit- I'm not excusing Sid, he's been **** lately, but Kunitz has been awful for months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad