Speculation: Will Burmistrov return to the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Sure it does. It helped his development quite a bit I imagine.

You imagine , and maybe you are right , but it absolutely doesn't mean it did.

Zero guarantees on that , bigger ice , less pressure , less checking , more time .... very different .

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I kind of look at what is best for Scheifele as opposed to what is best for Kane. I think Scheifele may have better success with players like Wheeler and Buff that can play a cycle game more of a patient game. I don't want to limit Scheifele to just being a setup man for Kane.

Kane and Burmi could create a lot chemistry together if given the chance, as was mentioned during Kane's 30 goal season his best stretches were with Burmi

Having Burmi back would give us the luxury of experimenting though on who fits better with Kane and others, so I sure hope it happens

jetkarma*

I kind of look at what is best for Scheifele as opposed to what is best for Kane. I think Scheifele may have better success with players like Wheeler and Buff that can play a cycle game more of a patient game. I don't want to limit Scheifele to just being a setup man for Kane.

Kane and Burmi could create a lot chemistry together if given the chance, as was mentioned during Kane's 30 goal season his best stretches were with Burmi

Having Burmi back would give us the luxury of experimenting though on who fits better with Kane and others, so I sure hope it happens

Scheifele can and does shoot the puck very very well that is not an issue for me and he is the C , so the wingers will play to his game , he won't nor would feel he needs to change his game for Kane imo . I see Scheifele , Wheeler and Kane as the best trio , for themselves and for the Jets , not that has to be set in stone mind you , but best for their development and production and thus best for team results.

I don't agree re the a lot of chemistry comment , that season was more on Evander's ability and Kane rather than the success being brought out by Burmistrov. I do agree having him back is a plus and allows for seeing what works best for the team overall though . Until he proves otherwise at least for me , Burmistrov is complimentary piece not an essential core piece. Nothing wrong with being a good third line part , but banking on him being a plus top 6 now is too much at this time at least how I see it.

If he comes back I would view it as a good third line addition , if we acquire another c that can play 3C then he MAY be an option as a 2nd line wing. Nothing wrong with having him back at all , but I would temper peoples expectations for more than a complimentary piece . Let him prove he is more if that is to be .

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Didn't Kane spend quite a bit of time on the wing with Burmi during Kane's most productive season?

Apparently he was scoring at a higher rate with Burmi on his line than without.

But conversely, Burmi wasn't really piling up tons of assists.

Kane was just statistically...better. Your faith in those numbers may vary.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

Could have something to do with Burmi being an exceptional defensive player. He breaks up plays, Kane goes the other way and scores.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Burmi did score at a top 6 rate when paired with top 6 players.

Garret nerded hard on that topic.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/9/5/4695750/winnipeg-jets-top-25-under-25-3-alexander-burmistrov

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/4/21/4237512/alex-burmistrov-winnipeg-jets-pdo

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Yup. They made each other better.

Three balanced lines. We have 7/9 pieces for it. Burmistrov can be the 8th. There's decent UFA options that can hold water on a 3rd line with Kane and Burmistrov. This is atop my wish list.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yup he's his #1 fan in the world, no doubt.

I think I can compete with him :naughty: Though, I don't write articles about him, I really love Burmi and did since the first second he stepped un the ice in Atlanta. I like his underdog/outsider story, everything he said before playing in the NHL and the way he likes to play the game. I think players like him enter the NHL less and less.

If I'd ever get to Winnipeg and buy a jersey, it would be Burmistrov (I'm assuming he comes back, obviously). I like outsider stories for NHL players, my first favorite player was Marc Savard, then Rich Peverley and Alex Burmistrov.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
(Might have been said but I'm too lazy to read the other 35 pages of this thread)

I think Paul Maurice puts a lot of things out there when he talks. Much more than the media even reads into. When Maurice first got hired he talked a lot about his time in the KHL and how that has lead to him understanding young Russian players and their difficult adjustment to the NHL. He said they need time and you need to be patient with them. To me these comments have nothing to do with the current state of the Jets roster which has no Russians or even young Euro players at all. Seems like it was a message straight to Burmistrov . He must have been one of the big talking points between Chevy and Maurice. I think the Jets will try hard to get Burmistrov back in the next tear or two.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
TS Quint: it was discussed, but it's definitely even more relevant right now, with Maurice overseas. I agree with your assessment of Maurice's statements FWIW. Seemed to be 'out of place', given that we have no real stake in the game other than Burmi.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
TS Quint: it was discussed, but it's definitely even more relevant right now, with Maurice overseas. I agree with your assessment of Maurice's statements FWIW. Seemed to be 'out of place', given that we have no real stake in the game other than Burmi.

At the end of the day it can't hurt to have Paul at the helm in regards to Burmi. Talk is pretty cheap but having PMo walk a mile in the Russian shoes is a game changer IMO. First off I think he could talk TNSE off the ledge from any damaged relations and secondly I think he would be able to work with Alex to bring the best out of him from both a tactical standpoint (usage) and also from a relationship standpoint.

This is a unique situation and its great to blow it off and say "suck it up" old school style but I think this is away more nuanced than that. I don't think TNSE figured out how to use Alex correctly, and I don't think they new how to handle him personally, and I think Alex was a jack a55 about it.......the entire thing just went off the rails.

Bottom line is we need depth in the middle six and Burmi provides that in spades so lets patch this up and move forward. If it doesn't work out this time trade him.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Bottom line is we need depth in the middle six and Burmi provides that in spades so lets patch this up and move forward. If it doesn't work out this time trade him.

Yep. Either way, 'retrieving' an asset would be a win, whether he continues his career with the Jets, or we're able to move him for another asset. Both situations are better than the current situation, IMHO.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
[qdp]

I don't have any inside info... But for an organization that seems to do EVERYTHING it can to keep its players happy and show them love. They sure parted ways pretty easily with Burmi.... Has to be some reason for that other then money as it is very opposite to the family values TNSE preaches. Time will tell but a trade of rights may be the only way we see any return from Burmistrov.
I believe there is way to much optimistim in this thread about getting burmi back in a jets uniform.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't have any inside info... But for an organization that seems to do EVERYTHING it can to keep its players happy and show them love. They sure parted ways pretty easily with Burmi.... Has to be some reason for that other then money as it is very opposite to the family values TNSE preaches. Time will tell but a trade of rights may be the only way we see any return from Burmistrov.
I believe there is way to much optimistim in this thread about getting burmi back in a jets uniform.

:(

If I had to bet I would think we are more likely to see a trade of Burmi's rights rather than seeing him back in a Jets uniform. I've always believed the riff with the organization was much deeper than just Noel. I think we got a glimmer of that with his comments about Olli. That being said he has NHL talent and it would be a shame to have wasted a top 10 pick with no return.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
If I had to bet I would think we are more likely to see a trade of Burmi's rights rather than seeing him back in a Jets uniform. I've always believed the riff with the organization was much deeper than just Noel. I think we got a glimmer of that with his comments about Olli. That being said he has NHL talent and it would be a shame to have wasted a top 10 pick with no return.
Who knows for sure, but I am still hopeful he comes back and sticks UNLESS we get equivalent value in trade...which is unlikely.
As for the rift with the organization, I agree it was not just Noel, but Burmi's immaturity is hardly unique among the Jets' players. He just had an option that other unhappy and frustrated players did not. I think Maurice and the leadership group can forgive and move on provided Burmi himself has matured.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
At the end of the day it can't hurt to have Paul at the helm in regards to Burmi. Talk is pretty cheap but having PMo walk a mile in the Russian shoes is a game changer IMO. First off I think he could talk TNSE off the ledge from any damaged relations and secondly I think he would be able to work with Alex to bring the best out of him from both a tactical standpoint (usage) and also from a relationship standpoint.

This is a unique situation and its great to blow it off and say "suck it up" old school style but I think this is away more nuanced than that. I don't think TNSE figured out how to use Alex correctly, and I don't think they new how to handle him personally, and I think Alex was a jack a55 about it.......the entire thing just went off the rails.

As to the suck it up comment, i think were seeing some catchup my NHL GMs. The landscapes changd and they need to adjust- russian players have leverage. You either go into the relationship acknowledging that, or youll be wasting your time. The "my way or te highway" mentality cant prevail anymore. I think youll se khl loans etc increase as gms get used to it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Well I was in discussions with someone fairly close to the team (I won't say who he his) and he said Burmi was not popular in the dressing room so my guess is that the Jets will trade him on draft day if he still wants to come back to NA.

It will be too bad for us I think if they trade him for a poor return and he comes back to the NHL to help another NHL team.

I wouldn't be hugely upset if we got a decent return, but I don't know if Burmi right now could bring us back anything comparable to his talent and potential.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This Video really shows a neat perspective of Burmistrov playing in his home town.

Sounds like the fans in Kazan were disappointed in Burmi's play as well, seems to be a trend wherever he plays, inability to put points up, all flash no substance. Seems to me the Burmi fans in here have real short memories about how good this guy really is, 3rd line C on a non-playoff team at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad