Speculation: Will Burmistrov return to the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey , I want him back , and I have been a critic of his , it is noteworthy to see most if not all now envision him as an "ok" piece for third line minutes.

Production or lack thereof , creating chances , the "offensive potential " ... no one is banking on that , which is prudent . Saying that he is a good fit off the top two lines , or could be , but if he thinks he is owed big dollars for that he will be in the KHL for a long time , maybe for ever.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Burmi back. He would likely find a place on the 3rd line. But it only makes sense if the Jets sign him for a reasonable amount. A 2 year bridge contract at approx $2.5 M per year is likely where the Jets would be comfortable. Throwing FA type $ at him just wouldn't make sense IMO.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Where in that article does it say that Burmi isn't or doesn't want to come back? Or is or isn't coming back? Doesn't say anything about his next move at all, as a matter of fact. Doesn't say anything from anyone connected to Burmistrov at all, ,never mind Alex himself.

Interesting from someone who was very aggressively insisting that people support the 'Burmi returns' argument with specific vetted sources saying specific things to support it. You remember when it was insisted over and over ad nauseum?

Now you are using an article that doesn't have anything from Burmistrov or anyone from his camp saying he won't come back. It has one snippet saying that 'a source' (which is sports journalists way nowadays of saying whatever the hell they want) says that the Snow Leopards are offering him a raise.

So the very thing you were accusing everyone of earlier is the thing you just did. This article doesn't change the status of Burmi returning or staying in the KHL one single iota.

Oops.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Where in that article does it say that Burmi isn't or doesn't want to come back? Or is or isn't coming back? Doesn't say anything about his next move at all, as a matter of fact. Doesn't say anything from anyone connected to Burmistrov at all, ,never mind Alex himself.

Interesting from someone who was very aggressively insisting that people support the 'Burmi returns' argument with specific vetted sources saying specific things to support it. You remember when it was insisted over and over ad nauseum?

Now you are using an article that doesn't have anything from Burmistrov or anyone from his camp saying he won't come back. It has one snippet saying that 'a source' (which is sports journalists way nowadays of saying whatever the hell they want) says that the Snow Leopards are offering him a raise.

So the very thing you were accusing everyone of earlier is the thing you just did. This article doesn't change the status of Burmi returning or staying in the KHL one single iota.

Oops.

Actually, you've done a lot of extrapolation in that post. I'm not using anything of the sort. It has somehow become a meme here that the Jets are bringing him back and that is that, and I simply posted an article where the writer stated that he has been offered more money than the Jets could compete with. Considering that the Russian contracts are largely tax free, a substantive raise to him means that the odds of his return are likely now much lower.

You are each free to believe whatever you wish though. If you want to believe that he will return, party on. My personal preference would in fact be that he returns and is promptly traded elsewhere.

Cheers.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Actually, you've done a lot of extrapolation in that post. I'm not using anything of the sort. It has somehow become a meme here that the Jets are bringing him back and that is that, and I simply posted an article where the writer stated that he has been offered more money than the Jets could compete with. Considering that the Russian contracts are largely tax free, a substantive raise to him means that the odds of his return are likely now much lower.

You are each free to believe whatever you wish though. If you want to believe that he will return, party on. My personal preference would in fact be that he returns and is promptly traded elsewhere.

Cheers.

So because you have posted an article with a mysyerious source...we're just gonna take that as gospel now? Especially since the agent said nothing, Burmi said nothing, the team said nothing...so anyone that would know anything about this hasnt said a word on the subject. But Jet is the one extrapolating here?

Come on Gump.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Probably is true...
You'd be silly if you didn't think every player that financially could, would play both sides to maximize their well being.

Doesn't mean he goes one way or the other.

Hopefully he returns and is a Jet forever, but meh. C'est la vie.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
So because you have posted an article with a mysyerious source...we're just gonna take that as gospel now? Especially since the agent said nothing, Burmi said nothing, the team said nothing...so anyone that would know anything about this hasnt said a word on the subject. But Jet is the one extrapolating here?

Come on Gump.

Who suggested you take it as gospel?

Believe what you wish.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Cheers.

Hard to tell from the information flow exactly what is going on. If the information is true it sounds like his Russia club is trying to sweeten the pot to make him stay. I am not sure if that is in the form of an extension or more cash for this year which he is already under contract for? Either way his Russia squad isn't going down without a fight if they sense Alex is on his way out. Unless of course it's just his agent whipping up action to increase Burmi's pay day?

I have felt all along "IF" Bumri wanted to return to the NHL he was going to need to take a step backwards pay wise. I don't think this changes that much but it may move the goalposts on the hair cut he will need to take to return.

I would have no problem if we signed and traded Alex as long as the trade works for us. He remains an asset for us and I want to maximize the value one way or the other.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think Burmi has an out clause in his 2 yr KHL deal.........I think that his agent will discuss his possible return to the Jets this spring b4 the draft with Chevy........The Jets hold his NHL rights for another 4 yrs........ they (Burmi s agent) may use them returning to the Jets as a negoatiating tactic to get a better deal from his KHL team to stay in Russia. If I were a Betting man ( I am) I would lay odds that he stays in the KHL.

Just wanted to add my post from march 3rd on the trade deadline thread. Saying I thought that Burmi is about the money and if he has an out clause he will play both sides against each other.

This is why I do not like drafting Russians ( Russian factor). It will be interested in Yakupovs and Nikolishins next contracts and how they play out.

On the positive side Burmi has since hired Mike Luit (spelling?) as his agent and that is a step towards coming back to the NHL.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hard to tell from the information flow exactly what is going on. If the information is true it sounds like his Russia club is trying to sweeten the pot to make him stay. I am not sure if that is in the form of an extension or more cash for this year which he is already under contract for? Either way his Russia squad isn't going down without a fight if they sense Alex is on his way out. Unless of course it's just his agent whipping up action to increase Burmi's pay day?

I have felt all along "IF" Bumri wanted to return to the NHL he was going to need to take a step backwards pay wise. I don't think this changes that much but it may move the goalposts on the hair cut he will need to take to return.

I would have no problem if we signed and traded Alex as long as the trade works for us. He remains an asset for us and I want to maximize the value one way or the other.

Jets do need to get Burmi back so they can trade him for an upgrade to the fourth line. What?:sarcasm:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

My thoughts as well. I liked Burmi when he was here, and thought he had potential, but whether it's Burmi, or a player (or pick) in a Burmi trade, I don't want to see the asset that is Burmistrov wasted.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My thoughts as well. I liked Burmi when he was here, and thought he had potential, but whether it's Burmi, or a player (or pick) in a Burmi trade, I don't want to see the asset that is Burmistrov wasted.

Yea so far we have nobody from that 2010 draft currently playing in the NHL and that is hurting the organization. Atlanta did a good job of turning a 1st and 2nd round 2010 pick into Big Buff but the actual drafted players still in the league is not great.

Last edited:

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Who suggested you take it as gospel?

Believe what you wish.

Gospel might be an exaggeration but come on, Gump. It's a bit silly to pretend that posting that article along with "See, so much for that 'coming back' bull****!" somehow isn't implying that the article says something definitive about the situation.

All that article tells us is that the KHL is going to offer him more money than he'd get here. We knew that on page 1 of the thread. It just seems odd to offer that up as though it's new or conclusive in any way.

Cheers.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Gospel might be an exaggeration but come on, Gump. It's a bit silly to pretend that posting that article along with "See, so much for that 'coming back' bull****!" somehow isn't implying that the article says something definitive about the situation.

All that article tells us is that the KHL is going to offer him more money than he'd get here. We knew that on page 1 of the thread. It just seems odd to offer that up as though it's new or conclusive in any way.

Cheers.

I posted a link and followed it with a snide remark, that is all.

:laugh:

It was new information by the way, published yesterday, stating that the writer heard that Burmistrov was offered a significant raise. A nuanced view of that information would suggest that the likelihood of his supposed return is perhaps less than it was one page one. Hope that helps.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I posted a link and followed it with a snide remark, that is all.

It was new information by the way, published yesterday, stating that the writer heard that Burmistrov was offered a significant raise. A nuanced view of that information would suggest that the likelihood of his supposed return is perhaps less than it was one page one. Hope that helps.

Yeah, no. It was about your remark which you just ignored to mention.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If accurate, all this new information does is confirm to me that it will be up to Burmie as to whether he wants an NHL career or not. I think most of us realized that he would have to settle for a short term deal at around $2 to $2.5 million a year while he attempted to earn a big longer term deal.

I would like him back as he'd give our third line a pretty big boost, but if he elects to stay in Russia there are other FA's out there that can fill third line roles.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Cheers.

Actually, Gump, I am not saying here that he is coming back, nor am I saying that I believe he might come back. I, like 100% of the rest of the posters here don't know one way or another.

I was just pointing out a curious observance. I still don't understand why you are hell bent on quashing peoples dreams that he might return to the Jets. If you are so sure he won't, why just not sit back and relish that fact instead of ruining everyone's buzz?

:)

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I still don't understand why you are hell bent on quashing peoples dreams that he might return to the Jets.

Could you be any more dramatic? Perhaps engage in a bit more hyperbole? Paraphrase my own words a bit more?

Yes, I'm bent on crushing people's Burmistrov dreams (/sarcasm]), and that would be why I repeatedly stated to believe whatever you wish.

Now I've read everything.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If accurate, all this new information does is confirm to me that it will be up to Burmie as to whether he wants an NHL career or not. I think most of us realized that he would have to settle for a short term deal at around $2 to $2.5 million a year while he attempted to earn a big longer term deal.

I would like him back as he'd give our third line a pretty big boost, but if he elects to stay in Russia there are other FA's out there that can fill third line roles.

I agree with this.

If Burmi really wants to be an NHLer then he'll look past increased pay for a year or two and focus on his NHL career. So if he's serious and the Jets seriously want him back, that will trump the KHL offer.

On the other hand, it's a great negotiating move to have it "leaked" that the KHL team is offering him a raise for next year. No need to do that unless he does have an "out" clause and is seriously contemplating a return to the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree with this.

If Burmi really wants to be an NHLer then he'll look past increased pay for a year or two and focus on his NHL career. So if he's serious and the Jets seriously want him back, that will trump the KHL offer.

On the other hand, it's a great negotiating move to have it "leaked" that the KHL team is offering him a raise for next year. No need to do that unless he does have an "out" clause and is seriously contemplating a return to the NHL.

Agreed, I think the leak was pretty strategic on his part. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad