Will Auston Matthews sign an extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Will Auston Matthews sign an extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs?

• Yes

Votes: 333 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 393 54.1%

• Total voters

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Matthews was the one wanting to sign an 8 year contract originally, but Dubas talked him to 5 thinking it would make the team more competitive. Cant really see him leaving.
This does not sound accurate to me. I can't see a sane GM pushing for a deal that walks a player to UFA.

Reactions: zar

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Remember the hatred Tavares got from Islander fans after he left for his old bedroom?

Man o man....if Matthews leaves Toronto in 2 years with no cups.....yikes

Would be insane. The boo's would be unparalleled. And I can legit see whichever team he picks win the cup the following year(except Arizona).

I don't think Leaf fans would ever recover.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Would be insane. The boo's would be unparalleled. And I can legit see whichever team he picks win the cup the following year(except Arizona).

I don't think Leaf fans would ever recover.

I'd like to think most Leafs fans are aware that Matthews can't sign an extension until next offseason......but once July 1st hits I'm already dreading the inevitable "contract countdown" that will go into effect around here on Toronto sports radio. They did it for Stamkos, they did it for Tavares, and they're sure as hell going to do it every single day for Matthews until he agrees to an extension.

If he doesn't.....if he goes all PLD and says he's going to hit the market......it's going to be mass hysteria in Leaf Nation. :laugh:

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
All I'm going to say it's that it'd be something else to move down south with a Cup on your belt. As it stands, if he has no playoff success whatsoever once the contract expires, I don't see him going there -- assuming that Cup chances are going to be viewed as very slim in Arizona even then.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Think we should ask whether or not the Leaf fanbase wants to keep going with this current core ...Not trying to be a hater but this team looks like it need to be rebuilt...They dont have much coming through the pipeline,the current core isnt very deep after the top end ..The defense is older and has holes ,and the goaltending is a mixed bag ..

People need to understand cup windows arent open for decades in a cap world..And rebuilds will happen more frequently

• Love
Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Think we should ask whether or not the Leaf fanbase wants to keep going with this current core ...Not trying to be a hater but this team looks like it need to be rebuilt...They dont have much coming through the pipeline,the current core isnt very deep after the top end ..The defense is older and has holes ,and the goaltending is a mixed bag ..

People need to understand cup windows arent open for decades in a cap world..And rebuilds will happen more frequently

All of this is correct & fair. It's been 6+ years now, with AM, MM, WN, MR & JT, and the team has gotten less than nowhere. how 'bout........do something. It's not the end of the world to admit that it didn't work out.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
All of this is correct & fair. It's been 6+ years now, with AM, MM, WN, MR & JT, and the team has gotten less than nowhere. how 'bout........do something. It's not the end of the world to admit that it didn't work out.
Pretty much,I have a window of about 6 to 7 years for most teams out of a rebuild...After that you likely have an expensive group that stagnates..I think a rebuild may actually be a good thing for that fanbase,take the pressure off and watch kids grow is fun

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I hope so. He will kill their chances at winning the cup for as long as he plays there.

Leafs live rent free in your head
A smart landlord would charge rent but this is the Leafs we are talking about.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Never saw him smile during a game against Montreal and my impression is that he's not having fun playing for Toronto. I voted no because of that but honestly I have no idea I don't know him and I can't try to judge him. It's like Price I think he may have sometime gave the impression of hating the pressure of Montreal and wanting out but he loved it all.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Never saw him smile during a game against Montreal and my impression is that he's not having fun playing for Toronto. I voted no because of that but honestly I have no idea I don't know him and I can't try to judge him. It's like Price I think he may have sometime gave the impression of hating the pressure of Montreal and wanting out but he loved it all.

Really? Many have noticed and said quite the opposite.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Auston Matthews needs to grow up. if I’m the leafs if the season doesn’t go well by Christmas, you trade him to a contender who is competing for a cup, retain half the caphit to maximize the asset value. Resigning matthews to a $14 mil plus caphit is ludicrous and won’t lead to team success. The 11.8 million matthews couldn’t win a round, you expect the $14/15 mil caphit matthews to yield different results? Fat chance

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Auston Matthews needs to grow up. if I’m the leafs if the season doesn’t go well by Christmas, you trade him to a contender who is competing for a cup, retain half the caphit to maximize the asset value. Resigning matthews to a $14 mil plus caphit is ludicrous and won’t lead to team success. The 11.8 million matthews couldn’t win a round, you expect the $14/15 mil caphit matthews to yield different results? Fat chance

Under no circumstances do you ever trade a player of his ilk unless they ask for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad