Will Auston Matthews sign an extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Will Auston Matthews sign an extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs?

• Yes

Votes: 333 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 393 54.1%

• Total voters

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Coyotes for sure.

In 2 years the yotes are going to be a serious team with lots of talent in the pipeline.

Bettman needs Arizona to get a boost after decades of failings.

And I'm sure Auston would love to give back to his home team. Imagine the hero he'd be as a player of hispanic decent bringing success to the Yotes.

All in all a great Yotes team with what arguably could be soon the greatest American player of all time would pay dividend for years to come for the NHL and hockey in Arizona as a whole. In terms growing the game with new and established demographics in a largely untapped hispanic market.

This is a no brainer for the NHL and A Matts.

Sorry TO your window is closing and closing fast.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Coyotes for sure.

In 2 years the yotes are going to be a serious team with lots of talent in the pipeline.

And I'm sure Auston would love to give back to his home team. Imagine the hero he'd be as a player of hispanic decent bringing success to the Yotes.

All in all a great Yotes team with what arguably could be soon the greatest American player of all time would pay dividend for years to come for the NHL and hockey in Arizona as a whole. In terms growing the game with new and established demographics in a largely untapped hispanic market.

Gary?????

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
tommy-boy-chris-farley.gif

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Coyotes for sure.

I'd add that Auston would attract some big name free agents as well, maybe he brings Nylander with him?

People will say he won't want to play in the college rink but I think that atmosphere will create buzz within the college populis and we all know how crazy fandom can grow with the youth.

It's only a year he'd likely play in the college rink anyhow, ownership group in Arizona are pushing for an answer this month or next and it shouldn't take more than 3 years to build it.

Agree with the Bettman comment, he hates relocation and this has a Gretzky to LA type vibe to it.

Bill Armstrong is a solid GM who scouted and drafted very well with his time in St. Louis.

I'd say Arizona, LA and Toronto as the 3 main spots, in that order.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Matthews was the one wanting to sign an 8 year contract originally, but Dubas talked him to 5 thinking it would make the team more competitive. Cant really see him leaving.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Nah. I could see Dallas if they can make room for him. LA. Chicago. Even Buffalo.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
Not even worried in the slightest. Next summer Auston will sign a 8 year deal and destroy everyone’s hope of a chance at getting him on their favourite team. Till then I’ll just sit back and enjoy everyone’s comments thinking he won’t resign….
Interesting take. Another first round exit by the Leafs this year and I’d say 90% chance he’s gone

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think the NHL wants more than anything to get him to Arizona, but the Leafs will have the resources and the opportunities in the market to get it done. Almost no superstar goes to free agency anymore.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If they win a first round probably, but if they lose again, then I think he moves on.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So what was the point of your post then?
Most if not all of HF is speculation
My point is people form there opinion on this entirely based off what they personally want to happen...and then come up with the reasoning why after the fact. You have no idea what he is or isn't going to do. Baseless speculation is allowed but be upfront that it is baseless speculation.

Sounds like Leaf fans and Leaf media pumping the "McDavid wants out!!!!" drum for years on end. Odd that you hear nary a peep with respect to Matthews when the Leafs make their annual first round exit.
Okay? lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad