Will Atlanta Get Another Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
maybe the Islanders should move to Georgia, then, based off the above response and forget about the New York tv contract or Belmont's redevelopment arena, BK:sarcasm:
I always said New York area had too many teams. But if one team had to move to Georgia it really should be the Devils, not for any reason other than they can play Devil Went Down To Georgia when they score a goal.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
What 3rd shot? a team that existed before the NHL was the NHL doesn't count, the Bulldogs don't count

The Quebec Bulldogs played in the NHL 1919-1920 then relocated to Hamilton. Quebec City is a two time loser of NHL teams just like Atlanta. Cities like Kansas City and Cleveland should get a second shot before cities get a third one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Quebec Bulldogs played in the NHL 1919-1920 then relocated to Hamilton. Quebec City is a two time loser of NHL teams just like Atlanta. Cities like Kansas City and Cleveland should get a second shot before cities get a third one.

The Bulldogs don't count, they just don't the NHL was barely the NHL at that point

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
An AHL team, maybe.
not as long as Gwinnett/ Cobb County vis a vis the Braves and the existing Gladiators remain active, and if the reports are true to form, Atlanta has pro hockey as long as no lease issues, why would any NHL Team want to own or operate a team in Cobb County, never mind an AHL FRANCHISE?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
not as long as Gwinnett/ Cobb County vis a vis the Braves and the existing Gladiators remain active, and if the reports are true to form, Atlanta has pro hockey as long as no lease issues, why would any NHL Team want to own or operate a team in Cobb County, never mind an AHL FRANCHISE?

If the AHL comes to Atlanta the ECHL team will either fold or relocate to somewhere like Birmingham or Greensboro. They will play at the Gwinnett County arena, no need to build an arena in Cobb.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If the AHL comes to Atlanta the ECHL team will either fold or relocate to somewhere like Birmingham or Greensboro. They will play at the Gwinnett County arena, no need to build an arena in Cobb.
no, ice, Atlanta is the team name now is it not, it'll be an NHL Team buying the existing team, and frankly, it likely becomes an existing AHL club relocating, but as long as Gwinnett's arena remains and the Gladiators are actively the tenant of record as the leasee, just as is being proposed, there's not going to be another AHL Club as a) wouldn't that have happened by now and b) economically Infinite Arena would likely have to be upgraded the way the Budweiser Events Center was required to do when Colorado got 'promoted.'

it is highly doubtful Nashville would want to get into the owner/operations business as that's now become the modus operandi, in the AHL , AND BASED off the relationship they've had with Milwaukee, that has been relatively successful....

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
no, ice, Atlanta is the team name now is it not, it'll be an NHL Team buying the existing team, and frankly, it likely becomes an existing AHL club relocating, but as long as Gwinnett's arena remains and the Gladiators are actively the tenant of record as the leasee, just as is being proposed, there's not going to be another AHL Club as a) wouldn't that have happened by now and b) economically Infinite Arena would likely have to be upgraded the way the Budweiser Events Center was required to do when Colorado got 'promoted.'

it is highly doubtful Nashville would want to get into the owner/operations business as that's now become the modus operandi, in the AHL , AND BASED off the relationship they've had with Milwaukee, that has been relatively successful....

Thats what I'm saying Hutch.

The AHL Charlotte Checkers were purchased as the Albany River Rats by ECHL Checkers owner Michael Kahn. Thats what would happen here, someone in Atlanta or ties to Atlanta would buy an existing AHL team and move it to the Gwinnett arena while selling the ECHL club to another city.

I highly doubt lease regulations will matter much, it didn't matter in 2010 when the Checkers upgraded.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Thats what I'm saying Hutch.

The AHL Charlotte Checkers were purchased as the Albany River Rats by ECHL Checkers owner Michael Kahn. Thats what would happen here, someone in Atlanta or ties to Atlanta would buy an existing AHL team and move it to the Gwinnett arena while selling the ECHL club to another city.

I highly doubt lease regulations will matter much, it didn't matter in 2010 when the Checkers upgraded.
not quite, Charlotte wasn't bought that way, ice, the license had to be bought, the way that league operates now, you'd need an NHL club owning a franchise existing, and that's not economically happening in Gwinnett, you do realize Albany continued on past that transfer for just the above purpose, that's why Binghamton currently has a franchise because it's owned by the NHL Team now, and leased back to the operator, same with Utica, that's a 50/50 split....

the only way Atlanta metro gets a higher league franchise is it to be declared an open territory and local ownership, and/or an NHL Team willing to own a franchise and is wanting to go there, otherwise the Gladiators are the record of tenancy and the rule applies if the contract is agreed upon as has been reported, than Gwinnett/Atlanta is off limits similiar to what occurred with Alaska.... a transfer of territoty filing

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm not guaranteeing it's going to happen, I'm simply stating that if it does, thats likely whats going to happen. The Gwinnett arena is fine as an AHL venue.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
who would own it then, I don't see Nashville bolting Milwaukee....

My little birdie recently implied to me that the Glads affiliation with the Bruins will end after this year and they'll link up with the Predators instead going forward. The Preds already seem to have a growing presence here, loaning several players to the team and actively promoting a Learn to Play Hockey program in the arena lobby itself.

Other than one board ad, there's very little indication on game nights that the Bruins are the current Glads' NHL affiliate.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
My little birdie recently implied to me that the Glads affiliation with the Bruins will end after this year and they'll link up with the Predators instead going forward. The Preds already seem to have a growing presence here, loaning several players to the team and actively promoting a Learn to Play Hockey program in the arena lobby itself.

Other than one board ad, there's very little indication on game nights that the Bruins are the current Glads' NHL affiliate.
did that birdie mention who the bruins where thinking about partnering with after Atlanta

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I don't think the citizenship in Atlanta cares much for hockey. So I will say no to Atlanta getting another NHL team.

Just noticed that this evolved into getting an AHL team. That could happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad