Will Atlanta Get Another Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I always said New York area had too many teams. But if one team had to move to Georgia it really should be the Devils, not for any reason other than they can play Devil Went Down To Georgia when they score a goal.

It would be the Islanders if one has to move.

But that won't happen, all 3 NYC area teams are here for the long haul

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
Should the arena and financial situations in Arizona, Florida, Ottawa and Calgary all be solved favorably where the long term future was guaranteed for those existing teams to remain in their local markets, then I believe it creates one last final expansion possibility to go to 34 teams. (Assumes Seattle gets 32nd team and Isles belmont plan is a go) Divisions would be eliminated and everybody would play 3 games within their now 17 team conference and 2 games against the other 17 team conference. (3*16+2*17=82 games, which is what teams play now).

If the expansion fees were remain in the 500-600 million territory, then I would hold those last 2 spots for Atlanta and Houston only. You would keep the balance of 17 teams in the eastern time zone and 17 teams in the others combined. This would then also finally allow the NHL to say that all major media markets in the US have a franchise, hopefully generating more expensive tv contracts. If I am an NHL owner, I have no interest in expanding to traditional markets as the revenue potential is while more certain, lower, and thus not worth having to split overall league revenues with. i have no inside knowledge as to what NHL owners are thinking , but if i were one, that is the way I would think about things.

I would leave Quebec, Hamilton,Kansas City,Portland and possibly Cleveland as emergency relocation candidates.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Should the arena and financial situations in Arizona, Florida, Ottawa and Calgary all be solved favorably where the long term future was guaranteed for those existing teams to remain in their local markets, then I believe it creates one last final expansion possibility to go to 34 teams. (Assumes Seattle gets 32nd team and Isles belmont plan is a go) Divisions would be eliminated and everybody would play 3 games within their now 17 team conference and 2 games against the other 17 team conference. (3*16+2*17=82 games, which is what teams play now).

If the expansion fees were remain in the 500-600 million territory, then I would hold those last 2 spots for Atlanta and Houston only. You would keep the balance of 17 teams in the eastern time zone and 17 teams in the others combined. This would then also finally allow the NHL to say that all major media markets in the US have a franchise, hopefully generating more expensive tv contracts. If I am an NHL owner, I have no interest in expanding to traditional markets as the revenue potential is while more certain, lower, and thus not worth having to split overall league revenues with. i have no inside knowledge as to what NHL owners are thinking , but if i were one, that is the way I would think about things.

I would leave Quebec, Hamilton,Kansas City,Portland and possibly Cleveland as emergency relocation candidates.
there will never be more than 16-16 or 32

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
and who's owning either franchise, Doctor, Houston's not budging if you take Fertiita at face value
There are 2 other options:

1) other option is another potential owner in houston willing to build an arena and compete with the toyota center.

2) It is also possible that 2 different ownership groups can share an arena, (see boston, philadelphia,chicago,detroit...). I could see an NHL owner negotiating a deal with fertita where the 2 would split the expansion fee, with an understanding that they would split revenues while the fee is recouped, and then split it where fertita gets 1/3 say of the hockey and the NHL owner gets 2/3 of the hockey revenue, and the hockey owner get a small percentage -say 1/6 of the other revenue.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There are 2 other options:

1) other option is another potential owner in houston willing to build an arena and compete with the toyota center.

2) It is also possible that 2 different ownership groups can share an arena, (see boston, philadelphia,chicago,detroit...). I could see an NHL owner negotiating a deal with fertita where the 2 would split the expansion fee, with an understanding that they would split revenues while the fee is recouped, and then split it where fertita gets 1/3 say of the hockey and the NHL owner gets 2/3 of the hockey revenue, and the hockey owner get a small percentage -say 1/6 of the other revenue.
neither is happening, you do realize Houston just lost a billionaire

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
Noted. But this would not happen now, this is a scenario about 5 -10 year into the future. However your point is well taken.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
neither is happening, you do realize Houston just lost a billionaire

You make it sound like Houston only had one, Hutch. Being the epicenter of the US oil & gas industry, Houston's got plenty more other than McNair. There's Richard Kinder, Randa Williams, Dannine Avara, Milane Frantz, Scott Duncan, all of whom are valued as being richer than McNair and then Dan Friedkin, Jeffrey Hildebrand, Fertitta (of course), John Arnold, and George Bishop. No clue if any would be interested in owning a sports team other than Fertitta, but that's not exactly a paltry number of billionaires.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Never's a long time.

I know it's a simple statement, but this.

Atlanta some HUGE corporations call it home. Third most HQ's in North America. All it takes is one billionaire willing to spend on a team and some good timing. Money rules all.

I understand it's a big ask, but as the quote says...

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

Interesting comment on a tweet by the Atlanta United’s radio announcer on renovated State Farm Arena having footprint for NHL rink. Both announcer and commenter agreed that new Atlanta NHL arena would have to be outside downtown Atlanta. I’m curious would possibly putting an arena/practice rink near Georgia Tech’s campus be a smart idea. My just spitballing, could be a great chance/synergy in creating a GT hockey program.

Reactions: sexydonut

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Interesting comment on a tweet by the Atlanta United’s radio announcer on renovated State Farm Arena having footprint for NHL rink. Both announcer and commenter agreed that new Atlanta NHL arena would have to be outside downtown Atlanta. I’m curious would possibly putting an arena/practice rink near Georgia Tech’s campus be a smart idea. My just spitballing, could be a great chance/synergy in creating a GT hockey program.

the hawks gutted the thrashers locker rooms the arena would need to be renovated again to build new ones

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

What do you mean having footprint for NHL rink? It was designed to be hockey compatible to begin with, they did not make it basketball specific with renovation. Except the new seats added in place of luxury suites, those look obstructed.

fanzone_2.jpg

the hawks gutted the thrashers locker rooms the arena would need to be renovated again to build new ones
That is not an issue, at all.

What about next to Atlanta Braves ballpark?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
What do you mean having footprint for NHL rink? It was designed to be hockey compatible to begin with, they did not make it basketball specific with renovation. Except the new seats added in place of luxury suites, those look obstructed.

fanzone_2.jpg

Renovations made SFA more basketball friendly building, so there was a question whether it would look like Barclays but seems that it isn’t necessarily the case. I also have to imagine Hockey press box was changed as well, so SFA can be a temporary home for Atlanta franchise, but they probably need a new arena somewhere else.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Renovations made SFA more basketball friendly building, so there was a question whether it would look like Barclays but seems that it isn’t necessarily the case. I also have to imagine Hockey press box was changed as well, so SFA can be a temporary home for Atlanta franchise, but they probably need a new arena somewhere else.

Even without the obstructed seats it still has enough capacity to be an NHL arena no?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009

The guy is right. After Seattle and Houston are accepted into the club, Atlanta will be by far the largest and wealthiest metro to not have an NHL team. It should have never left, but the league/cartel could not control the actions of two separate carpetbaggers/white collar criminals posing as the owners of the Flames/Thrashers.

After Atlanta, the options for new markets decline considerably. San Diego, KC, Milwaukee, Austin?

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Yes, based on my estimation it would hold anywhere from 16,000 to 17,000 for Hockey based on seeing its current capacity.

Per wiki NBA capacity these days post renovation is 16,600. I assume NHL capacity would be 15,600(ish)

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Not too familiar with the Atlanta arena situation other than knowing that State Farm Arena was recently renovated to basketball only configurations. Just wondering why a downtown arena wouldn't be the desired location for a new NHL team there. Isn't the current problem with both Arizona and Ottawa that their arenas are too far from downtown? It seems that most new sports facilities are being built in downtown locations. What would make Atlanta different in that regard?

:jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad