Speculation: Will any of the remaining RFAs get offer sheeted?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Flyers signed Ryan Kesler to one on September 12, 2006. It was a fairly modest deal; 1 year at 1.9 million which I believe carried a 2nd round pick as compensation. Brian Gionta mentioned that he got overtures for an offer sheet during that same offseason as the Devils were in salary cap purgatory as the NHL was deciding on the fate of Alexander Mogilny's cap hit. Gionta re-signed in early October.
I wonder how often the offer sheet is put out there and the player just does not sign it

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I wonder how often the offer sheet is put out there and the player just does not sign it
Probably more often than we would assume. I think a lot of people forget that the player actually has to sign it. It needs to make sense for the player, their former team and the current team. That's why it's so rare.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And offer sheets might burn some bridges in terms of trading partners. When the Flyers were looking to offload Vinny Lecavalier's deal, apparently they had something worked out with Nashville. But Nashville's owner was still upset about the Shea Weber offer sheet, so he declined to sign off on the deal.

It's not as sexy, but makes more sense to approach a team about a trade than go the offer sheet route. Although I am surprised we don't see an occasional offer sheet on backup goalies with starter potential. Typically we see guys like Philipp Grubauer get dealt before that's a possibility, but a few years back, I would have thought an offer sheet on Martin Jones could have made sense.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Offer sheet Nylander
$8,118,642 - $10,148,3022 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
colorado_avalanche.svg
los_angeles_kings.svg
philadelphia_flyers.svg
san_jose_sharks.svg
st_louis_blues.svg
vegas_golden_knights.svg
washington_capitals.svg
I could see one of these teams doing it. Can't see a lottery team giving up a pick in a centre heavy draft to obtain a soft winger.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Nylander 5x8 would probably work. 1 st 2nd 3rd wouldn’t be out of line as a value and would screw with the leafs cap. And if toronto is offering something like 7x6.5 or something he still would only be down 5.5 million over 2 less years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Nylander 5x8 would probably work. 1 st 2nd 3rd wouldn’t be out of line as a value and would screw with the leafs cap. And if toronto is offering something like 7x6.5 or something he still would only be down 5.5 million over 2 less years.

Teams currently with 8 mil in cap space: Vegas, Vancouver, Arizona, Winnipeg, Philadelphia, NY Islanders, Colorado,New Jersey, Carolina

Vegas: Still needs to sign Shea Theodore, so that would eat a chunk of their 8.7 in space.
Vancouver: Hosting the 2019 Draft, so seems unlikely they'd move their 1st
Arizona: 50 contract limit, probably don't have the budget to be offering 8 million (plus how would that affect Clayton Keller's next deal)
Winnipeg: Still needs to sign Josh Morrissey, plus Laine/Trouba long term
Philadelphia: C/RW not the biggest need
NY Islanders: Don't have their 2019 2nd
New Jersey: Don't have their 2019 3rd
Carolina: Probably don't have the budget

So that leaves us with Colorado, but giving an expensive offer sheet for Nylander would/could affect Mikko Rantanen's asking price.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Teams currently with 8 mil in cap space: Vegas, Vancouver, Arizona, Winnipeg, Philadelphia, NY Islanders, Colorado,New Jersey, Carolina

Vegas: Still needs to sign Shea Theodore, so that would eat a chunk of their 8.7 in space.
Vancouver: Hosting the 2019 Draft, so seems unlikely they'd move their 1st
Arizona: 50 contract limit, probably don't have the budget to be offering 8 million (plus how would that affect Clayton Keller's next deal)
Winnipeg: Still needs to sign Josh Morrissey, plus Laine/Trouba long term
Philadelphia: C/RW not the biggest need
NY Islanders: Don't have their 2019 2nd
New Jersey: Don't have their 2019 3rd
Carolina: Probably don't have the budget

So that leaves us with Colorado, but giving an expensive offer sheet for Nylander would/could affect Mikko Rantanen's asking price.

And with a possible lockout coming up Toronto can turn around and offer sheet all the upcoming young RFA's that these teams have to deals that pay out league min salary plus the rest in July 1st bonuses. Most owners would be less than happy to pay out millions in lump sum that they might not recover.

No team can put a finacial squeeze on Toronto.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I’m surprised by the number of people who think the Leafs would take the picks on most Nylander offer sheets. They’re matching every day of the week on any contract with a cap hit around $8M. Their walk away point is probably just north of $9M. Their asset management days are over.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Offer sheet Nylander
$8,118,642 - $10,148,3022 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
arizona_coyotes.svg
carolina_hurricanes.svg
colorado_avalanche.svg
dallas_stars.svg
detroit_red_wings.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
los_angeles_kings.svg
minnesota_wild.svg
montreal_canadiens.svg
new_york_rangers.svg
philadelphia_flyers.svg
san_jose_sharks.svg
st_louis_blues.svg
vancouver_canucks.svg
vegas_golden_knights.svg
washington_capitals.svg

c'mon vancouver/montreal/zona/nyr/detroit!

would love to have top 5 picks back to back years. Leafs could probably absorb the loss of Nylander by moving Kapanen up. Marner-Brown-Kapanen-Leivo/Cracknell/Jooris is still a capable group

but yeah willy loves TO and isnt gonna sign an offer sheet

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Vegas has cap space at 8,687,500. As Leaf fan would take that even if 1st rounders end up being high like 28-31 overall. Going have cap problem in 2019-20 when having to sign Matthews+Marner long term!

Trade Marleaus last year (6.25 cap, only 1.25 cash)
Lets Gardiner and Hainsey walk, Promote Liljegren and Borgman/Rosen
Horton to LTIR

40+ for Matthews,Nylander.Marner,Kapanen,Johnsson and depth

they probably do the 5 above in 27.5

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
San Jose doesn’t have their 1st in 2019 so they couldn’t offer sheet Nylander if they wanted, but I don’t think anybody would pay him that much on an offer sheet. That’s not a smart amount to pay in terms of both cap hit and in terms of assets for a player who has only proven as much as Nylander has.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs minus Nylander and plus 11 first round picks for the next 7 years would be scary for the NHL.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Arizona: 50 contract limit? Budget?
Carolina: ̶G̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶2̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶S̶k̶i̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶ Budget?
Dallas: 5.35 mil in cap space
Detroit: currently over cap (eventually Franzen and probably Zetterberg on LTIR)
Edmonton: Little under 4 mil in cap space with Darnell Nurse still needing a deal
Los Angeles: 2.15 mil in cap space
Minnesota: 1.77 mil in cap space
NY Rangers: 5.68 mil in cap space
San Jose: Gave up 1st round pick in E.Kane trade
St. Louis: Gave up 1st round pick in O'Reilly trade. Also under a mil in cap space.
Washington: 1.1 mil in cap space

So that leaves Colorado/Montreal/Philadelphia/Vancouver/Vegas. Not sure how motivated Montreal and Vancouver would be to give up their 2019 1sts, especially the Canucks who are hosting the draft. Not sure if Colorado would want to give a semi-bloated offer to Nylander while knowing Mikko Rantanen's gonna need a new deal next year; If you give Nylander 8.2 million, what's Rantanen gonna ask for? Philadelphia wouldn't seem like a fit with Voracek/Konecny/Simmonds at RW. Vegas has 8.7 in cap space, but also need to sign Shea Theodore.

Of the teams you hypothesized would be left, I think looking at the GM's in place there's only 1 GM from those teams who's on his last leg, who might feel that burning bridges, and giving up on the future might be worthwhile in saving his job, and that's Bergevin in Montreal.

If I was Bergevin, I'd look at Nylander, and Reinhart, really hard. I mean might as well right. There's no way he lasts 2-3 more years unless something drastic happens and that's about when those picks would start coming to fruition. And even if they sign with their original clubs you might be able to put a dent in their build and that's a strong play considering they're division rivals.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Extremely unlikely anyone gets an O/S.
I suppose with so many teams seemingly wanting an upgrade on D they would be at the top of the list.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Looks to me, the offer sheet is dead. No team is really willing to put one out there. The fear is, the team they steal a player from is going to turn around and do the same to them.
Oilers did it twice, succeeded once with Dustin Penner (which triggered Burke) and the other one made Buffalo vastly overpay Vanek. As an Oilers fan, I'm waiting for the karma to strike back and I wouldn't even be mad

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Trade Marleaus last year (6.25 cap, only 1.25 cash)
Lets Gardiner and Hainsey walk, Promote Liljegren and Borgman/Rosen
Horton to LTIR

40+ for Matthews,Nylander.Marner,Kapanen,Johnsson and depth

they probably do the 5 above in 27.5
Marleau = NMC

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Oilers did it twice, succeeded once with Dustin Penner (which triggered Burke) and the other one made Buffalo vastly overpay Vanek. As an Oilers fan, I'm waiting for the karma to strike back and I wouldn't even be mad

You’re forgetting the massive 15 year deal Philly forced Nashville into signing with Weber.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
And offer sheets might burn some bridges in terms of trading partners. When the Flyers were looking to offload Vinny Lecavalier's deal, apparently they had something worked out with Nashville. But Nashville's owner was still upset about the Shea Weber offer sheet, so he declined to sign off on the deal.

It's not as sexy, but makes more sense to approach a team about a trade than go the offer sheet route. Although I am surprised we don't see an occasional offer sheet on backup goalies with starter potential. Typically we see guys like Philipp Grubauer get dealt before that's a possibility, but a few years back, I would have thought an offer sheet on Martin Jones could have made sense.
See I don’t know if I believe the burning bridges part.

There are a large group of gms that won’t even deal within their own division. Because they’ll have to play the guy. 4 whole times over a season.

Like really? 4 times? That’s why you aren’t making your team better cutting your options by 25%

It doesn’t even make sense. If you’re trading a guy you should be getting better right? So why the fear of playing him??

I’d be more willing to believe owners have decided behind th scenes to not allow offer sheets. Losing players for nothing but picks hurts the bottom line. That’s getting in to personal territory and none of them would like that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Even if Nylander was a perfect fit for a team and they had an extra 1st rounder that they could afford to part with theirs then I still don't think Nylander gets an offersheet.

So it goes without saying the rest won't either.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
In regards to the posters saying the player may not sign no player who has been offer sheeted has refused to sign in the entire history of the NHL so I highly doubt that is an issue. At the age these guys are when they are offer sheeted they’re often single and about cashing in so it’s remote they wouldn’t sign unless it’s a highly undesirable location

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Offer sheets grow on trees these days.

All the remaining RFAs will be 'offer sheeted'.

By which team?

Wait for it...

:leafs

Why TOR? Because they have the most money and the longest tradition of trading 1st round picks.

A record

8 x 1st round picks
4 x 2nd round picks
4 x 3rd round picks

:sarcasm:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
In regards to the posters saying the player may not sign no player who has been offer sheeted has refused to sign in the entire history of the NHL so I highly doubt that is an issue. At the age these guys are when they are offer sheeted they’re often single and about cashing in so it’s remote they wouldn’t sign unless it’s a highly undesirable location

What are you even talking about with the bolded?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad