Speculation: Will any of the remaining RFAs get offer sheeted?

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If I was Colorado GM... I'd seriously consider an 8.1 x 7 offer. That is only this season's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and they already have Ottawas 1st and 3rd. Avs top players are all locked up for a few season, except Rantanen who should get a nice raise next off season, but they would have the space for Nylander at 8.1 and Rantanen around same. Already have some solid prospects ready to come up in next 1-3 seasons too.

Now would he sign it and would TO match? I don't know.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If I was Colorado GM... I'd seriously consider an 8.1 x 7 offer. That is only this season's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and they already have Ottawas 1st and 3rd. Avs top players are all locked up for a few season, except Rantanen who should get a nice raise next off season, but they would have the space for Nylander at 8.1 and Rantanen around same. Already have some solid prospects ready to come up in next 1-3 seasons too.

Now would he sign it and would TO match? I don't know.

That's 4 1st round picks.

Offer sheets over 5 years have their total value divided by 5 to determine compensation.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That's 4 1st round picks.

Offer sheets over 5 years have their total value divided by 5 to determine compensation.
You're right.

It's surprising that some people don't know this yet.

So, for 7 years, the max would be a little bit more than $7.24M.

For 6 years, a bit more than $8.45M.

For 5 seasons (a number which doesn't buy any UFA years), a bit more than $10.1M.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Well you shouldn't disagree because you'd be wrong. You only respond to posters that are leafs fans on the main boards, no one else.
I already posted something else in answer to this, but I'll add some context as to why I often respond to Leafs fans.

Born in 1949, I started following hockey as a passionate fan (teenage years) at 12-13.

Toronto beat the Canadiens 3 times out of 5 before I turned 18.

I'm not as passionate as I used to be, but is there any surprise as to why the Leafs have a special and warm place in my heart ?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Would be happy to take the picks from Boston and get our offer sheet for McAvoy ready next summer.
Not that it would happen, nor do I want it to.
But in this hypothetical situation, I would be amused to see that happen. Both teams likely end up overpaying said player and swapping picks more or less.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Why would anyone offer sheet Nylander 8M+? Short term (1 year) $7M+ causes all the same headaches without the huge compensation risk. Nylander for one year at $7-$7.5M is a nightmare for Toronto, since not only is Nylander's qualifying offer boosted, but Nylander, Marner and Matthews all need to renegotiate at the same time.
That's nasty...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ryan O'Reilly signed an offer sheet with Calgary on Feb 28th, 2013, but that was a product of the lockout and Feaster's stupidity.

Hey, let's be fair to Feaster. He didn't understand how league rules worked.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
c'mon vancouver/montreal/zona/nyr/detroit!

would love to have top 5 picks back to back years. Leafs could probably absorb the loss of Nylander by moving Kapanen up. Marner-Brown-Kapanen-Leivo/Cracknell/Jooris is still a capable group

but yeah willy loves TO and isnt gonna sign an offer sheet
This made me laugh.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Couldn’t a team easily offer sheet Nurse? Someone like Habs or Vegas. Would need to give up a first and a third correct (for 3.6-5.4) I may be wrong but I believe Oilers are in a tight cap space rn and need some money in case a bonus kicks in. If signed at aprox 4.5-5 I can see Oilers struggling

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Couldn’t a team easily offer sheet Nurse? Someone like Habs or Vegas. Would need to give up a first and a third correct (for 3.6-5.4) I may be wrong but I believe Oilers are in a tight cap space rn and need some money in case a bonus kicks in. If signed at aprox 4.5-5 I can see Oilers struggling

The question would be whether Montreal would want to gamble with giving away its 2019 1st rounder and whether they thought Nurse would push them towards a playoff spot. Vegas still has Shea Theodore to sign and they'd have eight D on one way deals already.

As mentioned by others, Colorado could be interesting especially with Joe Sakic himself signing an offer sheet back in the day. But they have 7 D and might not be the type of budget that'd allow to bury somebody like Mark Barberio (1.45 million) in the minors. And while they have ample cap space, maybe they don't have the budget to add another 4.5-5 mil to the payroll?

I'd imagine that Edmonton would begrudgingly match anyways and make a corresponding move to free up space.

Reactions: Taluss

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Nylander the only player that is worth an offer sheet 2 first for a 60 + winger , and a possible Cetner is a good price

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
You dont think if Oilers could sign Nurse long term for 4.5 they would have done it already? And just trade Kassian and put Puju in AHL for a few days and you have the cap space. Nurse wants more long term or its a bridge.

The whole point of an offersheet is to overpay so team cant match. I think most Oiler fans would thank the other team that got Nurse locked up to the Larsson/Klefbom cap hit.

A more realistic scenario would be 5.5+ on an offer sheet to screw Oilers. But then it begs the question do you see the offence coming to be worth lets say 6 mil plus the compensation picks?

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge

$1,339,575 or lessNo compensation
$1,339,576 to $2,029,659Third-round pick
$2,029,660 to $4,059,322Second-round pick
$4,059,323 to $6,088,980First and third-round picks
$6,088,981 to $8,118,641First, second and third-round picks
$8,118,642 to $10,148,302Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $10,148,302Four first-round picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A team could Offer sheet Nurse for $4M/Per which is more than the Oilers have available cap wise right now. They'll get some relief when Sekera is placed on LTIR to start the season, but when Sekera returns, the Oilers would literally have less than $1M available for call ups when short term injuries happen.
A $4M offer sheet would only cost a 2nd round pick. Definitely think it's worth the gamble. If you want to give up a 1st and a 3rd, and pay closer to $5M, I think it's likely the Oilers don't match.

Reactions: Taluss

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
$1,339,575 or lessNo compensation
$1,339,576 to $2,029,659Third-round pick
$2,029,660 to $4,059,322Second-round pick
$4,059,323 to $6,088,980First and third-round picks
$6,088,981 to $8,118,641First, second and third-round picks
$8,118,642 to $10,148,302Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $10,148,302Four first-round picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A team could Offer sheet Nurse for $4M/Per which is more than the Oilers have available cap wise right now. They'll get some relief when Sekera is placed on LTIR to start the season, but when Sekera returns, the Oilers would literally have less than $1M available for call ups when short term injuries happen.
A $4M offer sheet would only cost a 2nd round pick. Definitely think it's worth the gamble. If you want to give up a 1st and a 3rd, and pay closer to $5M, I think it's likely the Oilers don't match.

Depending on which team is making the offer, I think the Oilers would rather pay somone a first and 3rd to take a bad contract and then re-sign Nurse instead.

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
Depending on which team is making the offer, I think the Oilers would rather pay somone a first and 3rd to take a bad contract and then re-sign Nurse instead.
You think the Oilers would rather pay a 1st, and a 3rd, to trade one of their top 6 forwards, so they could sign a mid pairing D-man? Just goes to show how effed they are.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You think the Oilers would rather pay a 1st, and a 3rd, to trade one of their top 6 forwards, so they could sign a mid pairing D-man? Just goes to show how effed they are.

If a team like Vegas makes the offer, so a late first and 3rd - absolutely yes. And where did i say top 6 forward? I said cap dump.

That's before you even consider that Darnell Nurse is 23, and is largely going to get paid on potential, not just what he's accomplished so far. But if you believe his ceiling is just 'mid pairing d man' - then i'm not really sure there is anything else to discuss, either.

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
Well who's your cap dump?
Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Lucic? all of whom are top 6 forwards for the Oilers.... The Oilers don't have any other cap dumps, except for maybe Russell, but that would just blow another hole into the D-Core.

And Nurse is currently a mid pairing D-Man on a terrible Oilers D-Core. he might in a few seasons become a top pairing D-Man on an even worse Oilers D-Core, but he's not anywhere near a top pairing guy for the vast majority of teams, and if he stays in Edmonton, how do you presume he develops to his potential?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Lucic? all of whom are top 6 forwards for the Oilers.... The Oilers don't have any other cap dumps, except for maybe Russell, but that would just blow another hole into the D-Core.

And Nurse is currently a mid pairing D-Man on a terrible Oilers D-Core. he might in a few seasons become a top pairing D-Man on an even worse Oilers D-Core, but he's not anywhere near a top pairing guy for the vast majority of teams, and if he stays in Edmonton, how do you presume he develops to his potential?
There only real option is Lucic, but anyway you look at it their shooting themselves in the foot to save a toe

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Some egos could be bruised, but the Oilers could waive a couple guys and promise that they'd be immediately called up once Sekera can officially go on LTIR. I remember a few years back, the Devils had some random dude named Tomas Harant make the opening night lineup to everybody's bewilderment. But that was purely for cap reasons as Harant happened to have the lowest cap hit and was sent immediately down after the first game.

If Nurse's offer sheet happened to be 5 million AAV, the Oilers could send down Brodziak (1.15, which would still have a .125 buried cap hit), Puljujarvi (.925), Rattie (.8), and Jerabek (1.0) and temporarily call up cheap options like Mitch Callahan (.7), Colin Larkin (.69), Brad Malone (.65), and Keegan Lowe (.675). That'd put them at a precarious ~79.495 which would barely get under the cap.

Not ideal, plus maybe somebody would claim Brodziak/Rattie/Jerabek but there'd be ways to wiggle under the cap.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
In regards to the posters saying the player may not sign no player who has been offer sheeted has refused to sign in the entire history of the NHL so I highly doubt that is an issue. At the age these guys are when they are offer sheeted they’re often single and about cashing in so it’s remote they wouldn’t sign unless it’s a highly undesirable location
Brian Gionta refused to sign when he was given an offer sheet. There were reportedly other teams that offer sheeted Ryan O'Reilly when he signed one with Calgary. Offer sheets are only officially announced if they're signed. We have no way of knowing how many have been refused.

I think a lot of people don't understand what an offer sheet is. A player has to sign it. Teams can't just make a player an offer and then sign them without their consent.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Someone should try offersheeting Nurse

Out of the bunch, he'd be the most plausible candidate. But as I outlined on the first page, how many teams have the cap space (short and long term), required picks, and motivation?

Colorado might make some sense, but despite having Ottawa's pick, they might be hesitant to possibly fork over an unprotected lottery pick if Edmonton opted not to match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->