Speculation: Will any of the remaining RFAs get offer sheeted?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Offer sheets grow on trees these days.

All the remaining RFAs will be 'offer sheeted'.

By which team?

Wait for it...

:leafs

Why TOR? Because they have the most money and the longest tradition of trading 1st round picks.

A record

8 x 1st round picks
4 x 2nd round picks
4 x 3rd round picks

:sarcasm:
Love them to offer sheet Theodore! Wanted Theodore in 2013 draft but we got Gauthier.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
What are you even talking about with the bolded?

I’m almost sure nobody who has been offer sheeted hasn’t signed it. If someone has I certainly don’t remember it and it certainly hasn’t occurred since 1996 or 97 when I started following the NHL closely

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
See I don’t know if I believe the burning bridges part.

Again, I provided a real example of an offer sheet affecting a future trade going down. It's not just the GMs, but also the owners. David Poile was willing to deal with Philadelphia after the Weber offer sheet, but Nashville's owner apparently wasn't.

It's not just the GMs. We've heard stories over the years about owners holding long grudges and they get the final say over approving trades.

I’m almost sure nobody who has been offer sheeted hasn’t signed it. If someone has I certainly don’t remember it and it certainly hasn’t occurred since 1996 or 97 when I started following the NHL closely

Hard to find an archived article from October 2006, but Brian Gionta had to wait all summer to sign with the Devils since we were over the cap. At some point, he mentioned that his agent was given overtures about an offer sheet but Gionta declined.

Stuff like that would happen behind the scenes and usually wouldn't become public. A Gionta offer sheet at that point was plausible considering the Devils cap situation.

I'd imagine most GMs just wouldn't want to go through the effort of trying to sign a guy to an offer sheet if they knew the original team had plenty of cap room to match.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Again, I provided a real example of an offer sheet affecting a future trade going down. It's not just the GMs, but also the owners. David Poile was willing to deal with Philadelphia after the Weber offer sheet, but Nashville's owner apparently wasn't.

It's not just the GMs. We've heard stories over the years about owners holding long grudges and they get the final say over approving trades.

Hard to find an archived article from October 2006, but Brian Gionta had to wait all summer to sign with the Devils since we were over the cap. At some point, he mentioned that his agent was given overtures about an offer sheet but Gionta declined.

Stuff like that would happen behind the scenes and usually wouldn't become public. A Gionta offer sheet at that point was plausible considering the Devils cap situation.

I'd imagine most GMs just wouldn't want to go through the effort of trying to sign a guy to an offer sheet if they knew the original team had plenty of cap room to match.

It seems ill advised to not sign it unless you are being courted by a very bad team. The bottom line is at age 24-26 you just don’t know what may happen. If someone comes along offering a 6-7 year deal you’re pretty dumb if you don’t accept it barring it being a team like today’s Arizona or Islanders where you’re entering an uncertain situation. And remember this rarely happens to elite players. It’s usually middling or slightly below average players who aren’t risking anything by taking their free agency to 30 or 32

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No one is giving up a first in this draft crop this early. Ottawa already made the mistake and is now facing the possible reality of another team using their pick to select Jack Hughes.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
It would be fun to see the Bruins do this. Would fill a need and screw over one of their main rivals.
The last time these two teams exchanged 2 first-round picks to one another it was quite costly.

Boston sending Kessel to Toronto for what ended up being Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
:huh:

How would you know that a player has refused to sign an offer sheet ?

Reactions: Morrison

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Offer Sheet only exists if a player signs it.

Reactions: Morrison

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I'd laugh so hard if MTL decides to offer sheet Nylander thinking he's the "center" they need. Toronto would add FOUR surefire top-5 picks.
No they wouldn’t because that means they’d offer sheet him over 10 million. I can see Montreal going 8 million per though, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What are you even talking about with the bolded?
I think, and I mean I THINK, what this means is, if you have no intention of signing, you would never be extended an OS.
It's still a contract. To be negotiated between 2 sides. So you wouldn't go through all that hassle to either extend one to be declined or negotiate one you have no intention of signing.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Offer sheet Nylander
$8,118,642 - $10,148,3022 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
arizona_coyotes.svg
carolina_hurricanes.svg
colorado_avalanche.svg
dallas_stars.svg
detroit_red_wings.svg
edmonton_oilers.svg
los_angeles_kings.svg
minnesota_wild.svg
montreal_canadiens.svg
new_york_rangers.svg
philadelphia_flyers.svg
san_jose_sharks.svg
st_louis_blues.svg
vancouver_canucks.svg
vegas_golden_knights.svg
washington_capitals.svg
That means that none of the teams that are bottom feeders on this list are going to offersheet anyone major because they could be giving up Jack Hughes as part of the comensation package.

It would have to be a contender... with enough money under the cap to overpay an rfa enough that his home team doesn’t match. Maybe Vegas? I don’t think it happens this year (like most years) but they would be the ones I could see as the least unlikely candidates.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The only time an offer sheet makes sense is if a GM feels that particular player is the missing piece for a good cup run.
Rebuilding teams should covet picks.
I don’t see any teams offer sheeting Nylander, or anyone really as this practise is, unfortunately, out of favour with GMs.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Why would anyone offer sheet Nylander 8M+? Short term (1 year) $7M+ causes all the same headaches without the huge compensation risk. Nylander for one year at $7-$7.5M is a nightmare for Toronto, since not only is Nylander's qualifying offer boosted, but Nylander, Marner and Matthews all need to renegotiate at the same time.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
has an offer sheet ever been given this late in the summer. feel like most teams have their money committed where they wanted it to be at this point.

Ryan O'Reilly signed an offer sheet with Calgary on Feb 28th, 2013, but that was a product of the lockout and Feaster's stupidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad