Will any Humboldt Broncos get drafted?

SG49

Jun 11, 2018
Does anyone think we will see any surviving members of the Broncos get drafted in the 7th round? I think it would be a classy move by any NHL team.

I wonder if Joe Sakic who survived the Swift Current Broncos bus crash in 1987 will draft one of the Bronco's players? He has been to Humboldt and Saskatoon to visit the players and their families. Jacob Wassermann was considered a good bet to be drafted and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him and perhaps other surviving players drafted in the 7th round.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
David Carle was a lock to be drafted at some point during the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, but a promising career has been stopped before really getting a chance to start.

Carle was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a thickening of the walls of the heart that has been cited in the sudden death of young athletes.

Through his agent, Kurt Overhardt, Carle informed all 30 teams of his diagnosis and his decision to no longer play hockey.

Yet, the Tampa Bay Lightning used their final pick, No. 203, to select Carle.

"It was a selection made by our new owner, Oren Koules," said Jay Feaster, the Lightning GM. "He did some discussions with some people, but he came and asked us if we would make that pick. He said the young man worked his whole life to be in a position to be drafted today. He wanted us to make the pick and that's why we did it."

Tampa drafted David Carle with a 7th rounder after it was determined Carle couldn't continue playing due to a heart condition. I doubt any Tampa fans lost sleep over that decision. Albeit, I suppose you could argue that Tampa took a chance that Carle (a projected 2nd/3rd rounder) would get cleared down the road.

When I saw that the Devils traded back into the 7th round in 2013 for Anthony Brodeur, I was initially annoyed. But after seeing the video of it, a 7th rounder was a cheap price to give Marty and his family a nice moment. Some Devils fans were upset that we passed on somebody like Sergei Tolchinsky which sounded worse in 2013 than it does in 2018.

Not saying that it's likely, but we've seen teams use their last pick for a PR story.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That would be ridiculous.
No more ridiculous than the Devils trotting Marty Brodeur out there to draft his son with a throwaway pick. Teams do strange/interesting things when their boards are exhausted and they still have picks to burn.

The Lightning drafted David Carle in 20o8 knowing full well he had a heart condition and wouldn't ever play for them (or anyone else), just to give him the thrill of being drafted.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
No. If GMJB wants to wear a green ribbon while he takes BPA in the 7th, that's good enough for me.

Reactions: Thrive

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
No more ridiculous than the Devils trotting Marty Brodeur out there to draft his son with a throwaway pick. Teams do strange/interesting things when their boards are exhausted and they still have picks to burn.

The Lightning drafted David Carle in 20o8 knowing full well he had a heart condition and wouldn't ever play for them (or anyone else), just to give him the thrill of being drafted.

Devils fans shouldn't feel too bad. The Canucks once threw away their 7th on the son of their goalie coach....and i don't think he was even a particularly good goalie coach.

Reactions: Reddawg

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I see nothing wrong with drafting someone from Humboldt. It would be a miracle if they made an NHL roster, and an even bigger one if one of them hoists the Stanley Cup in the future.

Reactions: Jacques

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hard to say if it does happen because I wouldn't think so, but I also didn't think Vegas would make the finals.

But if an NHL team wants to be nice, I think they could invite them to a training camp.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Braun, Gunnarson, Demers, Haula, Andersen, Palat, Jokkipakka, S. Wilson, Nolan, Djoos, Gusev(if he ever comes to the NHL), Kase, Nuutivaara, Stralman, Lundquist, Pavelski all drafted in the 7th round.

Its still players left after 7 rounds that could end up elite not getting drafted. before the 05 draft they had 9 rounds. Look at some of the names drafted in 00-04.
Rinne, Byfuglien, Halak, Enstrom, Elliott an like 10 other players with 500 games+.

Dont see why an NHL team should give up what could be an important player to be nice. There are other ways to be nice than waste a draft pick which could be said is also disrespectful to a player that deserves to be drafted in that place and have worked hard for it to be given to a player to make a headline.

Reactions: oilwave

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Harder to do that sort of thing in the NHL. There are lots of feel-good late round picks in the MLB since they've got 40 rounds.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I can't see it just because there is only 7 rounds for teams to draft in. If only it was like the MLB draft where majority of the players don't make the big leagues that a team could make the classy gesture.. Would be awesome to see though.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Ottawa has 2 7th's and Philly has 3. I could see Melnyk doing it to try and get some good PR. Philly could definitely "throw away" a pick in the 7th for the story and still take 2 lottery tickets that may pan out.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Without disrespecting the players, this is just dumb..

What are they just going to pick one guy from the multiple survivors?

Reactions: snakeye

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I'd be more than ok if Colorado did it. They could even justify to the people who would be upset by "wasting" the pick by trading down to 217 and get a 19/20 7th. Colorado also makes the most sense as not only is Bednar from Humboldt but he grew up with and is still good friends with Jacob's dad. You also have the Sakic angle as he himself was in a deadly bus crash.

Reactions: sabresEH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad