Will any Humboldt Broncos get drafted?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Can't be worse than the guys Benning usually takes in the 7th round.

Only 1 of the 5 we've drafted in the 7th round have been signed by the Canucks since he became GM and it's quite possibly the worst pick of the bunch in Mackenze Stewart.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I honestly wouldn't be too upset by it, if Dallas used their 7th on a Bronco.

"What?! That sentimental pick we used in the 7th round didn't pan out? Heavens to betsy, what an outrage!" :scared:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Devils fans shouldn't feel too bad. The Canucks once threw away their 7th on the son of their goalie coach....and i don't think he was even a particularly good goalie coach.

To make matters worse, the Canucks passed up on the son of an employee who has run the team's arena since it opened. The kid's name is Martin Jones.

Reactions: Pestilence

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Harder to do that sort of thing in the NHL. There are lots of feel-good late round picks in the MLB since they've got 40 rounds.
What? 40? How many players do teams dress per game? All I know is that there are a ton of games in a season.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'd do it for the PR move. I also thought Snow drafting Song was a very savvy move, and to me one of his best moves as a GM. If only he kept at it. He cracked open a market with 1.37 billion people in terms of potential fans AND potential athletes.

- You'd not only get instant feel good press
- You'd get a lot of bandwagon fans for 2018-19 (I'd root for whomever did that as sort of my 2nd team)
- You'd get some good karma
- You'd do a nice thing for a community that needs nice things to happen
- Imagine the fashion forward movement if you had your jersey with the draftees name on the back. Imagine what that message says when you wear something like that. Even in the darkest of times, there is light.
- You'd undoubtedly have your team featured in podcasts, books, and inevitably the We Are Marshall-esque Disney movie - Think of what the Mighty Ducks, Minnesota Twins (Little Big League), Tampa Rays (The Rookie) among so many other teams got from their time in the sun. Those teams, are cult favourites for fans that aren't even real fans of the sport.

Ya you could miss out on a player in round 7, but the NHL is first and foremost a business. The PR from that move is worth millions and millions of dollars. How many 7th rounders in the last 5-10 years have that kind of earning potential?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I can only recall one player being drafted from junior A straight to NHL, Devin Shore a few years ago.

Whitby Fury have a vastly superior program to Humboldt. I get the sentiment, but none of these kids would have sniffed the pros at any level and at the end of the day you never know what could come of that late pick

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
I can only recall one player being drafted from junior A straight to NHL, Devin Shore a few years ago.

Whitby Fury have a vastly superior program to Humboldt. I get the sentiment, but none of these kids would have sniffed the pros at any level and at the end of the day you never know what could come of that late pick

um, ever heard of Makar?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What? 40? How many players do teams dress per game? All I know is that there are a ton of games in a season.

The draft is only for domestic players as well, so teams add even more players through international signings.
They have 25 man rosters, but each organization has like 8+ minor league affiliates of varying levels so you're talking a couple hundred players under contract per team.

Also in those 40 rounds, teams will take a bunch of high school players who pass on signing to follow through on college commitments in order to try and improve their stock.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014

This is very much wrong. Cale Makar and Tyson jost are just a couple recent 1st rounders off the top of my head.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Dallas is hosting the draft. They should just ask the NHL for permission to get an extra pick after the draft is done. Run it by the other NHL teams as well. Tell the NHL and other teams that you will take a Humbolt Bronco.

I know that it would be setting a precedence having the home team get an extra selection. Just make it a one off. I don’t think that any teams would be opposed to this.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016

There were Makar, Mitchell, Crotty, Foo, Howarth and Campoli drafted from junior A just last summer.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Tons of players were drafted in Jr A, and have made the NHL in recent years. I don't know what you mean by directly though as Shore spent time in the NCAA and AHL before making the show.

Other guys in recent years include Parayko, Cogliano, Hyman, Turris, Jost, etc.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not a chance... NHL draft is only 7 rounds and teams pick players that they feel will eventually be NHLers. There is no way a team wastes(i feel bad using the word "waste" in this situation) a pick on a player just for a good gesture.

Alot of teams and players already have done unbelievable gestures already in this horrific situation.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It happens all the time honestly (Anthony Brodeur, David Carle, Brad Peltz). I wouldn't be surprised to see a kid like Wasserman get drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad