Will any Humboldt Broncos get drafted?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is obviously a touchy and taboo subject and I mean no disrespect, but no. The bottom line is these kids don't have much of a chance at a future in the NHL and you'd be throwing away a pick and an asset.

As others have said, invite to camp and see if they could be cut out for one of the farm clubs in the American League or East Coast League.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
"I think we should draft this Marty St. Louis kid. Last guy I have left in his tier, I really like him"
"Nah, it's the 7th round, the odds that kid even plays any NHL games is like 5%, and he's never going to make any actual impact. We should make a nice gesture and draft this other kid who was in this tragedy, it would be amazing for him after going through that ordeal"

I can imagine this is how the actual conversation would go. I mean I wouldn't be blown away if it happened, but teams are paid to take advantage of every opportunity they get, find every market inefficiency no matter how small it may seem. Throwing a 7th round pick away for a nice gesture seems a little ill-advised to me, but the odds of it actually coming back to bite a team are slim, and fans would never find out as we'd never know who they actually would have drafted instead.

finnys fanatsy

Feb 16, 2018
put it in perspective, let say you are teh Broncos player that gets picked. you know in you heart of hearts you were picked, not because of your skill, but because you were part of that horrible tragedy. a pity pick, a PR move..nothing more. i dont know about you but id feel like a "thing" and not an NHL draft pick

Reactions: Stive Morgan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The fact that not one of these kids had an NHL future was probably the most heartbreaking thing about it. They were doing it purely for their team and the love of the game. To die needlessly in pursuit of NHL stardom is bad enough, but to die needlessly when the only thing you're playing for is the other guys on the bus is (somehow) even worse.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
put it in perspective, let say you are teh Broncos player that gets picked. you know in you heart of hearts you were picked, not because of your skill, but because you were part of that horrible tragedy. a pity pick, a PR move..nothing more. i dont know about you but id feel like a "thing" and not an NHL draft pick

I hear what you're saying. But I think if the NHL did it as something honorary for the whole team, like an honorary doctorate, everyone involved would be OK with it. I think it'd be a nice way to put their names into NHL history and in a very small way make sure this tragedy doesn't vanish under the weight of the 24hr news cycle.

I may be mistaken, but I remember a few years ago, a player got drafted by the NBA as a league because health problems forced him to stop playing.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Honestly, the fact you are picked would just make you think of all your dead friends. Then every year after the draft would remind you of the time you were drafted because of all your dead friends. It would suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad