Will another hockey player ever have Gretzky's wide appeal and notoriety?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It look like the puck could have hit the stick that was on the way also, pretty standard for those to get in.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Fair enough. Of course, didn't dominate at his best quite like Gretzky, but was notorious, and obviously well known.

In reference to Mike Tyson - yes he did.

He went 37-0 with 33 knockouts in the 1980s as a pro, including a 91-second knockout of Michael Spinks in June of 1988, and a 93-second knockout of Carl “The Truth” Williams in July 1989. Both bouts were for the undisputed heavyweight title.

He was supremely dominant, notorious, and easily as well known as Wayne Gretzky.

I have to add that if Tyson had remained undefeated and fought Evander Holyfield in 1991 as planned, I think Holyfield would have been the man to hand Tyson his first loss.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Phil, why do you think this'll never happen? As long as there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, the NHL will do anything. Do you think it will be a money-loser to have two Leagues?

Because if people are happy that the NHL is a much more friendly and less intense league the NHL will not care as long as they are making money out of it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In reference to Mike Tyson - yes he did.

He went 37-0 with 33 knockouts in the 1980s as a pro, including a 91-second knockout of Michael Spinks in June of 1988, and a 93-second knockout of Carl “The Truth” Williams in July 1989. Both bouts were for the undisputed heavyweight title.

He was supremely dominant, notorious, and easily as well known as Wayne Gretzky.

I have to add that if Tyson had remained undefeated and fought Evander Holyfield in 1991 as planned, I think Holyfield would have been the man to hand Tyson his first loss.

I hear ya, but then Buster Douglas happened in 1990. Not that he wasn't dominant, but 1990 happened and then the whole jail thing happened. He missed a lot of good prime years. Gretzky was better for longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad