Will Alex Ovechkin strike back?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
As many are probably aware, Patrik Laine scored 5 goals on Saturday night, which put him past Alex Ovechkin in goals for the season.

So now the key question is: Will Ovechkin strike back?

Ovechkin and Laine are in DIRECT COMPETITION with one another.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
My goodness, thanks for the update! I'm sure we had no idea about that competition! Pretty sure Ovie will score a bundle in the next few weeks, like always.

Reactions: 24 others

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
As many are probably aware, Patrik Laine scored 5 goals on Saturday night, which put him past Alex Ovechkin in goals for the season.

So now the key question is: Will Ovechkin strike back?

Ovechkin and Laine are in DIRECT COMPETITION with one another.

Like i said in the other thread, when OV battles someone for the Rocket, its usually a close race until the final 15 games. The key for Laine is to have enough energy towards the end season and to not take his foot off gas.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
7 rockets vs someone with zero.

Pretty sure 1/4 of the season through and Ovi only down 2 goals - while Ovi has been consistent and not up/down - while also proving he just doesn’t get hurt - I’d say the Rocket is still looking very good for ovi.

That’s not a knock on Laine. Laine is a great goal scorer - but we are talking about the greatest goal scorer ever here...

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
No we're not.
He will go down as the greatest. In this era where goals are down, he’s still in his young 30’s, he missed a season and a half due to strikes, and is only a little over 200 goals from Gretzky’s record, he’s the greatest.

No one over a 15 year period is as good as him at scoring goals. Every year from time he was a teenager to now in his 30’s not one player in that time was ever even close to as good of a goal scorer as Ovi.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
7 rockets vs someone with zero.

Pretty sure 1/4 of the season through and Ovi only down 2 goals - while Ovi has been consistent and not up/down - while also proving he just doesn’t get hurt - I’d say the Rocket is still looking very good for ovi.

That’s not a knock on Laine. Laine is a great goal scorer - but we are talking about the greatest goal scorer ever here...

While I agree Ovi is the greatest goal scorer ever and I think he will win it again this year...

...using "7 rockets vs 0 rockets" as an argument against someone who just turned 20 is impressively stupid.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I wouldnt bet money on OV winning the race this year. Theres too much competition this time around. Young guys mature while OV isnt getting quicker or better so yeah...

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ovie striked back with a beauty.

Your move, Hatrick Laine.

I think the great eight should have eight Rockets, so the competition should respect what i think and step down politely.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I wouldnt bet money on OV winning the race this year. Theres too much competition this time around. Young guys mature while OV isnt getting quicker or better so yeah...
Ovie is consitant though. Also OV does the most of his scoring towards the end of the season. Thats when he gets hot. Some one is going to have to keep their foot on the gas petal. OV might be getting old, but is still more durable then other guys. He is the Russian Machine for a reason.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Laine has scored more goals than Ovi per game ever since he came into the NHL.

Pretty sure Laine will score more goals than Ovi. ;)

But who can be bothered coming back here in 16+ years to say "hey, you were right!"

And anyway - I don't think Laine will score more. Durability plays a big part in Ovi being where he is. He's barely missed any games in his career. In fact, only 29 games in 13 seasons.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
While I agree Ovi is the greatest goal scorer ever and I think he will win it again this year...

...using "7 rockets vs 0 rockets" as an argument against someone who just turned 20 is impressively stupid.
I mean to be fair you could use this argument over just about anyone in the history of the NHL. Unless of course we assume Laine will ever come close to reproducing that.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Patrick Laine is very impressive. Ovie only 1 goals back of the lead at 33 is somehow more impressive though?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Ovi probably watched Laine's 5G reel and though that "That's cool thing boy, damn cool... oooo-key... let's remind him who's the boss, I need improve my pace."

I think that rare goal scoring feat by one player may have some inspiring impact to other goal scorers in the league, and in OV-Laine dynamics it's clear that OV knows very well his own role and meaning to young Patrik, and how he became what he is currently.

It's not exactly shame to lose rocket race to The Great 8 if you're Patrik Laine.

Reactions: Randyne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad