GDT: Wild vs. Aves | 4 PM | Mar 8 | Fight Night [MOD WARNING IN THE OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
This is one of the POSITIVES imo for this season. Yes it would have been nice to be in the playoffs again but in all honesty im looking at bigger picture. Im 'ok' missing this year if it means we are in the next 5+ years. Truth is this is the season we should have had last yr. If we had this season last yr I dont think many people would have been terribly upset considering the season before that. Expectation quadrupled this season based on our success last season. Im guilty of it aswell. This season was a good reality check for alot of our players and fan base. The players have to bring it every night, every shift in this league if they want to be successful. You cant take shifts off and expect to win and we were guilty of that for the first 3 1/2 months of the season and EVERY player on this team was guilty of that.

Very well said. It's what I've been feeling all season long. :handclap:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Giving those guys two or three year contract extensions were mistakes, and Frei has a valid point. He didn't say anything that warranted that kind of reaction.

If it wasn't those guys, they'd be someone else designed to be depth signings that eventually were forced into larger roles than they should because they didn't make the bigger moves to bring in quality players. Frei's trying too hard to criticize the Avs for minor moves.

My guess is he's been bitter at Roy all year, and it really started when he didn't drop an injury report on his lap earlier in the year, and he claimed he was never going to ask Patrick questions in his presser again. Then apparently he just up and left the Hawks game the other day. Now he was probably rubbed wrong that his pacifist agenda earlier in the week didn't get embraced, and Roy pushed back on the narrative him and Russo have been pushing. Why would he be writing such a negative piece all of a sudden after three big wins in a row, and an 8-3 record in their last 11? He just wanted to take a shot at them IMO.

Last edited:

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
not sure if it's been confirmed yet, but pretty sure Pickard is getting called up. Goalie for the ECHL team where I'm from was called up to Lake Erie, thus allowing me to be signed as the EBUG.

So from a selfish standpoint, Varly can take his time coming back :sarcasm:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Regarding Cliche, I mentioned it a few games back, but his SH TOI has been cut severely. It looks like the coaching staff is realizing that he's not effective at much of anything. Landy has been put on the PK (finally), Mitchell is playing more on it, to go with Everberg, Tanguay, and ROR. I don't think Cliche will be around next year, or at least on the big team, barring injuries.

Thing is doe I think they knew Cliche sucked even after last season and proof of that is signing Winchester. Cliche can thank Pesci that he was able to play at all this season because Winchester was out with that concussion. A healthy Winchester prolly means nachos or Cleveland for Marc-Andre. I used to hate the idea of putting your best players on the PK (Remember Stazz got his hand shot off a few yrs ago trying to block a shot on the PK) but Landy and ROR have been outstanding killing together.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Is it Saalfrank or someone else? Will is a bit banged up is what might confuse the sitch a bit. But it you say someone is on their way to LE then I can believe it.

Evan Mosher from Quad Cities was called up. I just assumed it was related to Varly getting hurt.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
If it wasn't those guys, they'd be someone else designed to be depth signings that eventually were forced into larger roles than they should because they didn't make the bigger moves to bring in quality players. Frei's trying too hard to criticize the Avs for minor moves.

My guess is he's been bitter at Roy all year, and it really started when he didn't drop an injury report on his lap earlier in the year, and he claimed he was never going to ask Patrick questions in his presser again. Then apparently he just up and left the Hawks game the other day. Now he was probably rubbed wrong that his pacifist agenda earlier in the week didn't get embraced, and Roy pushed back on the narrative him and Russo have been pushing. Why would he be writing such a negative piece all of a sudden after three big wins in a row, and an 8-3 record in their last 11? He just wanted to take a shot at them IMO.

You can keep your conspiracy theory to yourself... lol

Frei didn't wrote anything out of the ordinary, nothing that hasn't been debated on this very forum. I'm sure a few fans understand what he is saying and even agree with him.

You have to remember that he doesn't work for the Avalanche, if you want a positive twist to everything, you have Haynes and McNab for that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh god, I don't give a crap about their hard hitting "objective" spin the DP thinks they are creating. What I read in 5 posts here or on other blogs doesn't touch the level of critique they think they approach. I don't want spin at all, I just want facts and I can do my own critical thinking.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Oh god, I don't give a crap about their hard hitting "objective" spin the DP thinks they are creating. What I read in 5 posts here or on other blogs doesn't touch the level of critique they think they approach. I don't want spin at all, I just want facts and I can do my own critical thinking.

You call what Frei wrote "hard hitting" ??? :laugh:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I view the Frei article as more of a circle jerk for him and the fans that have never been positive towards this management team. There have a been a fairly significant number of critics of the FO, just because they were big name players. They seem to feel that being a top player means you are too dumb to be a good manager/coach. And this article just feeds into that narrative, especially given the timing (why come out with a negative piece when the team is doing better than expected recently, despite injuries). So the fans that love to hate Roykic get to read an article that feeds those opinions (kind of like conservatives watching Fox, or liberals watching MSNBC), and Frei gets an article that gets some vocal feedback, both ways, and generates tons of hits.

The flip side of the automatically critical fans are the ones with rose colored glasses, who blindly believe in this management team just because they are beloved players. No more correct than the haters. Cautious optimism (or pessimism) is a more fair and balanced approach. But we have those here that cannot believe that Roykic can make another good move (and some that even try to debate the Tanguay trade as being poor), and some that think they can do no wrong....might even try to defend the Berra extension (the trade was bad, but defendable...the extension not so much).

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
The flip side of the automatically critical fans are the ones with rose colored glasses, who blindly believe in this management team just because they are beloved players. No more correct than the haters. Cautious optimism (or pessimism) is a more fair and balanced approach. But we have those here that cannot believe that Roykic can make another good move (and some that even try to debate the Tanguay trade as being poor), and some that think they can do no wrong....might even try to defend the Berra extension (the trade was bad, but defendable...the extension not so much).

I see you are a Fox guy.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I view the Frei article as more of a circle jerk for him and the fans that have never been positive towards this management team. There have a been a fairly significant number of critics of the FO, just because they were big name players. They seem to feel that being a top player means you are too dumb to be a good manager/coach. And this article just feeds into that narrative, especially given the timing (why come out with a negative piece when the team is doing better than expected recently, despite injuries). So the fans that love to hate Roykic get to read an article that feeds those opinions (kind of like conservatives watching Fox, or liberals watching MSNBC), and Frei gets an article that gets some vocal feedback, both ways, and generates tons of hits.

Very few people are like this. Many people do not 100% agree with everything the management has done but are willing to be patient as overall things have gotten better and we are starting to see the direction the team is moving in. I believe if we didn't have the flukey season last year, everyone would probably be much happier overall than they are now.

Because we did so well last year people thought they team was going to be fast tracked, and now that they have struggled they are quick to jump down managements throat. In no other situation is an entire new management group only given 1.5 seasons to correct a terrible team.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

So, if his article was published after a three game losing streak it would chance your perception?

I bet if it happened after a few losses the "passionate fans" would call him an opportunist for beating someone that is already down.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So, if his article was published after a three game losing streak it would chance your perception?

I bet if it happened after a few losses the "passionate fans" would call him an opportunist for beating someone that is already down.

If he published it early in the season, right after the extensions, it would make more sense. And when the team is doing poorly, you can expect some criticism from the media. But for a beat writer to harp on the negative when the team is doing well just does not mesh.

And, yes, the "passionate fans" probably would say that, and be just as wrong as the haters are now.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Since Dater was fired I don't read DP. While Dater wasn't good, Frei is a complete ******* who knows nothing of hockey an Chambers is just a fool. I hope DP hires Sadowksi.

coaldale51

Mar 8, 2015
Love Macleod's heart, just wish he was 6'3"-235 lbs. He's as tough as they come but would really be a gum number with a little more size and reach.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Love Macleod's heart, just wish he was 6'3"-235 lbs. He's as tough as they come but would really be a gum number with a little more size and reach.

If he was bigger, fewer would fight him. We see this with Bordeleau.

If players want to fight a lot these days they have to be the size of McLeod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad