Michael Russo: Wild signing a number of players today

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Again... Russo said the trade basically broke down like this:

Scandella for Foligno and a 3rd.
Pominville and a 4th for Ennis.

The Wild actually had to GIVE Buffalo a 4th for them to be willing to take Poms for Ennis.

Pominville clearly doesn't carry the value people assumed he did.

We moved him BEFORE July 1 and BEFORE his list expanded and BEFORE we paid his bonus. All these things considered, there was no incentive to move him so quickly and to chase after ****ing Foligno.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
We moved him BEFORE July 1 and BEFORE his list expanded and BEFORE we paid his bonus. All these things considered, there was no incentive to move him so quickly and to chase after ****ing Foligno.

We also moved him BEFORE free agency when teams could fill holes without needing to trade for them. Even with an expanded list, there is no guarantee he is getting moved. And again...it wasn't going to be for picks or "futures."

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Exactly, history shows the trade market dries up once free agency starts.

Two reasons.

First, the cap space across the league gets eaten up quick, making trading players for cap dumps VERY difficult.
Second, teams find solutions to their needs by signing someone else and keeping their other assets as well.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I still can't believe there isn't more general rejoicing about getting out from under Pommer's contract for a much younger player who might well out score him for less money next season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I still can't believe there isn't more general rejoicing about getting out from under Pommer's contract for a much younger player who might well out score him for less money next season.

I'd be pretty happy with swapping Pominville for a healthy Ennis. I'm just very skeptical that we'll ever see a healthy Ennis.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I'd be pretty happy with swapping Pominville for a healthy Ennis. I'm just very skeptical that we'll ever see a healthy Ennis.

Sounds from the reports out of Alberta that he is working out with his buddy JS, and is ready to rumble.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Ennis hasn't played a full season since 2011.

I would consider 78 and 80 games full seasons. (14-15 and 13-14) Otherwise Parise hasn't played a full season since 2012. Only 11% of players played a full 82 games this last year. 78 games is still 95% of games. Also played 47 of 48 during the lockout season. I hardly think 2-4 missed games is out of the realm of a 'full-season'.

I'd consider anywhere from 74 games and above to be considered full seasons.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ennis hasn't played a full season since 2011.

12-13 missed 1 game
13-14 missed 2 games
14-15 missed 4 games
15-16 played 23 games but a concussion ended his season
16-17 played 51 games (badly) but had a sports hernia

So you are correct, but 3 of those seasons it was only a handful of games missed.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

Who also has major injury concerns reminiscent of PMB and can't play a lick of defense.

AMostlyWildPerson

Jul 2, 2017
West Coast
Exactly, Pominville could only get worse, these guys are still at a point where they can get used to the teams style and players and hopefully do better when they aren't being dragged down by a team like Buffalo, neither Ennis or Foligno have played anywhere in the NHL except Buffalo. If we can grow Foligno and bring back 14-15 Ennis (but with a better plus/minus) then there should be no doubt this was a good trade.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Because he limits what Minnesota can do. He provides too much of a risk for Minnesota to gamble on. If he has constant nagging injuries that sideline him for a game or two throughout the year, we can't place him on the injury reserve, which means we're going to have 4.6 million tied up in cap space that we can't recover. I forget how IRs work in terms of recouping, but I know it can be a PITA.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Because he limits what Minnesota can do. He provides too much of a risk for Minnesota to gamble on. If he has constant nagging injuries that sideline him for a game or two throughout the year, we can't place him on the injury reserve, which means we're going to have 4.6 million tied up in cap space that we can't recover. I forget how IRs work in terms of recouping, but I know it can be a PITA.

In season IRs are 10 games a 24 days missed for an injury. Broken bone, muscle tear, major injuries basiclly and a player can be list the next day. Consussions are usually a retroactive thing after a guy has missed a couple of weeks and isn't looking like he'll get back within the next 2 weeks. The problem is they don't save you any cap space. It just means you can got over the cap by that amount of money without it hurting the team's yearly cap.

The best example is the 14-15 season when Kane got hurt bad and went on the IR for months. The Hawks were against the cap, but with the Kane on the IR they could trade for Vermette, make callups, and be over the cap without penalty.

The salary cap is actually figured on a daily basis, and then all the days are added up to make the final cap. The numbers can be fudged by sending players between the AHL/NHL on off days. It's how teams with $1m of listed cap space can go and get a $4m player at the TDL (rough example).

Last year the Wild had daily cap hits ranging from ~$70.6m (bye week) to ~$74.7m (after the TDL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce