Confirmed with Link: Wild Sign Zuccarello 5yrs $6m aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Right, but we are forced to protect if they have any type of NMC/NTC, correct?
pretty sure it was that you have to protect NMC or full NTC. Didn't have to protect partial or modified NTC's

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nobody is signing a deal today without considerations for the expansion draft
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm ok with the clause after my initial yikes reaction.

The impact ufa players wanted guarantees for the ED. He still gave the Wild the ability to move him in years 4 and 5 though if needed.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Nobody is signing a deal today without considerations for the expansion draft

Then you tell him best of luck on his contract search and move on. Or tell him he can have the protection or the extra year.

It's not against the law to negotiate and stick to some principles, and it was widely reported other teams looking at him we're balking at the 5th year.

It's another death by 1000 paper cuts of the Fenton era, that illustrates he's not cut out for the job.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Then you tell him best of luck on his contract search and move on. Or tell him he can have the protection or the extra year.

It's not against the law to negotiate and stick to some principles, and it was widely reported other teams looking at him we're balking at the 5th year.

It's another death by 1000 paper cuts of the Fenton era, that illustrates he's not cut out for the job.
1yr too long is not a deal breaker for me, especially since he is moveable those last 2 years.

Other teams balked on the 5th year, thus they were unable to sign him and the Wild were able to. Welcome to unrestricted free agency and the bidding wars.

You end up too long or too much money... or worse both. Rarely is it neither.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

If you're worried about Zuccarello not being good enough to protect for the expansion draft, then you shouldn't be talking to him in the first place.

The NMC was most certainly already part of the negotiation. Take it out and you have to give something in return in either term or salary.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

An extra year that can be bought out or traded away seems like a dumb hill to die on when you've got a chance to fill a clear roster hole with a very good player.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Not a great structure for a buyout or dumping him late in the deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

That trade protection still doesn't make any sense the way he's phrasing it, but if there's a 10-team NTC in years 4 and 5 I'm going to assume that there's not somehow an NMC on top of it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Not a great structure for a buyout or dumping him late in the deal.

Just did the calculator on Cap Friendly. If he's bought out before the 5th year, they're showing $2M savings in the final year ($4M cap hit) with only a $1M hit the year after. Doesn't seem so bad.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

That trade protection still doesn't make any sense the way he's phrasing it, but if there's a 10-team NTC in years 4 and 5 I'm going to assume that there's not somehow an NMC on top of it.

Think he's just phrasing things weirdly. Might be a NMC meaning he can't be sent down throughout. Then the standard NMC yrs 1-3 and then the m-NTC in yrs 4-5. That's how I interpret it at least.

Just did the calculator on Cap Friendly. If he's bought out before the 5th year, they're showing $2M savings in the final year ($4M cap hit) with only a $1M hit the year after. Doesn't seem so bad.

Would've liked it to be a little more frontloaded for an easier dump, but it's not a huge complaint. I am very happy Fenton got that m-NTC in for years 4 and 5.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I'm guessing the contract words it that way for ED reasons, to make it clear he has to be protected.

Reactions: Spurgeon

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Think he's just phrasing things weirdly. Might be a NMC meaning he can't be sent down throughout. Then the standard NMC yrs 1-3 and then the m-NTC in yrs 4-5. That's how I interpret it at least.
That's how I'm interpreting it as well, but as written it makes no sense. The way it's written could also be interpreted as zero trade protection for the first three years.

Jaakarh

Aug 30, 2018
There has been worse contracts. but what is the direction behind this move? A few months ago the thing was "getting younger". Now we sign a guy older than anyone that was traded until he is 37. Either way, don't matter much since Wild won't be competitive during his contract anyway.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There has been worse contracts. but what is the direction behind this move? A few months ago the thing was "getting younger". Now we sign a guy older than anyone that was traded until he is 37. Either way, don't matter much since Wild won't be competitive during his contract anyway.

The direction is younger and (hopefully) better. The trades were the 'younger' part; this is (hopefully) the 'better' part. Every move doesn't always have to satisfy both.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So Kaprizov and Boldy aren't going to help at all the next couple years?

The Wild's elite top 4 is going to suddenly forget how to play hockey?

None of the 23yro players are going to develop at all?

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
As i understand it, an NMC is exactly what it sounds like. A No Move Clause. Meaning you cannot trade the player, waive him, or send him down to the AHL. You have two options, play him, or bench him. Thats it.

So it makes zero sense to have a "10 team list" for years 4 and 5, unless the NMC changes to a (modified/limited) NTC in those years.

Reactions: Wild11MN and 2Pair

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Zucker (27) - Staal (34) - Fiala (22)
Parise (34) - Koivu (36) - Zuccarello (31)
Greenway (22) - Eriksson-Ek (22) - Kunin (21)
Foligno (27) - Sturm (24) - Hartman (24)
Donato (23)
Rask (26)

The 21/22/23 year olds balance out the 30+ guys fine, I think. I'm not sure how the average age compares to last year, but there's more real youth there. If Fenton can scrounge up some young replacements for Staal and Koivu over the next two seasons we're in pretty good shape.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Zucker (27) - Staal (34) - Fiala (22)
Parise (34) - Koivu (36) - Zuccarello (31)
Greenway (22) - Eriksson-Ek (22) - Kunin (21)
Foligno (27) - Sturm (24) - Hartman (24)
Donato (23)
Rask (26)

The 21/22/23 year olds balance out the 30+ guys fine, I think. I'm not sure how the average age compares to last year, but there's more real youth there. If Fenton can scrounge up some young replacements for Staal and Koivu over the next two seasons we're in pretty good shape.
Looking at the roster typed out like that, and knowing that Kaprizov and Boldy are on the way, I see two things that are obvious.
1. Fenton has lots of options to put together a trade for a center
2.Parise is a year maybe 2 away from playing on the 4th line

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
One thing you guys have to realize about Zucc is that he's a team guy. The NMC is probably just his agents protecting him. I'm pretty sure that if he finds out he doesn't mesh with the team, he is more than likely to request a trade I think.

I think Minnesota will be very happy with Zucc. If you've ever followed him closely you know that he's one of the greatest guys you can have in your locker room and just on your team in general. His entire career has been him trying to prove himself as a little guy in a big league (though that's been changing since he's got here). There's a reason why his jersey was #7 on the top list of sold jerseys for ALL teams, just two spots behind Lundqvist.

He's a likable guy and even when he doesn't perform he brings up the game of everyone around him. On the rangers he played with second tier forwards who immediately got boosted by his incredible puck handling and selflessness. If you put him on a line with a guy you know is good, but is struggling to live up to expectations... he'll exceed them with Zucc.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I give props to Fenton for pulling off a free agent signing that I think I could end up being the steal of free agency. Close to a PPG player this year, has never really had much talent around him, so don’t expect much of a production drop, he could be a 70 point guy if healthy next year. My only complaint is that I think this just further puts us into mediocrity. We’re probably a middle of the road team next year that doesn’t make the playoffs, and doesn’t get a great pick. I just don’t see how we’re better than Nashville, Colorado, Winnipeg, Dallas and STL. Even if we do squeak into the playoffs, it’s again going to be the same story, just with younger players, barring a huge season from the likes of Fiala, Donato, Kunin, Dumba, which isn’t impossible, just unlikely. I just think that even St. Louis, whom was widely considered one of the least talented teams to win a cup in recent memory, was much more talent than us. I mean, we don’t have anyone as good as O’rielly and Tarasenko, and I’m not betting on a dubnyk to play like a Vezina caliber goalie on a playoff run. I thought this year was the perfect opportunity to have one really bad gear and try to add an elite player in a very deep draft. Oh well, drafting isn’t foolproof anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad