Confirmed with Link: Wild sign Kyle Quincey, 1 year, $1.25M

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Over 500 games of NHL experience, good size, reasonable bottom pair 7th guy deal.

Again, I really don't see why anyone would be upset with this.

Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, Olofsson, Reilly, Murphy, Quincey, and likely Prosser.

Good depth, and no big money outside the top 4.

Olofsson, Reilly, Murphy, and Quincey combined make about what Marco was making.

Depth is good. Short term is good. I have no complaints.

That's more depressing than encouraging.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I don't see the problem either. All they need is a guy to play next to Olofsson and be fairly consistent on a cheap, short-term contract.

Because our 5th defensemen has transformed from Marco Scandella to a guy who's played 10 NHL games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's more depressing than encouraging.

How is that depressing? Two of those are top 4 potential on entry level deals.

Because our 5th defensemen has transformed from Marco Scandella to a guy who's played 10 NHL games.

This is a salary cap world. You need young players on cheap contracts to help balance the cap so toy can spend the real money elsewhere in the lineup.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dang, I didn't know signing cheap 6th and 7th or 8th defensemen could result in so much rage. Be cool, guys, these are cheap depth signings. What were people expecting?

No doubt... we knew this was what we'd be targeting in free agency coming into this off-season. Yet people ate acting like signing bottom pairing and AHL players destroys the entire lineup. :shakehead

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
I guess people think cap space is easy to work with. We had a really good season last year that included youngsters that need extensions this off-season and next. Wake up people come back to reality

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's a 1 year stopgap deal. Brought in to be a 3rd pairing dman... Some people just complain to complain I guess.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Because our 5th defensemen has transformed from Marco Scandella to a guy who's played 10 NHL games within a day.

Olofsson's a question mark, but he looked good enough last year in limited time to be worth promoting. The fact that he's not a sure thing is exactly why we need someone as boring as Kyle Quincey next to him.

But having a $4m player on the bottom pairing wasn't a tenable position. Scandella-Olofsson would have been a $5m bottom pairing; Olofsson-Quincey is closer to $2m. That's $3m that we can spend on things more important than our bottom defensive pairing.

Now yeah, if we hand out gonzo contracts to Granlund, Nino and Foligno, or do something stupid with our 4th line, that's all for naught. But I don't see any reason to worry about that until it happens.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It's quite possible Postma didn't want to go to a division rival, let alone a one way deal.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
The only sure-fire NHLer we've signed. I like it, better player than Folin and can play both sides.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Kyle "last resort" Quincy.

I couldn't be more underwhelmed. At least Folin had upside.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think they want to keep a Suter/Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba top 4 together as much as possible this year, and wanted more of a veteran player in the bottom pair, instead of relying on Folin to be that for Olofsson. Folin hasn't been the most reliable in his time here.

Now, Quincy could be completely unreliable and make that a moot point, but I think I get the reason why they swapped him out.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Over 500 games of NHL experience, good size, reasonable bottom pair 7th guy deal.

Again, I really don't see why anyone would be upset with this.

Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, Olofsson, Reilly, Murphy, Quincey, and likely Prosser.

Good depth, and no big money outside the top 4.

Olofsson, Reilly, Murphy, and Quincey combined make about what Marco was making.

Depth is good. Short term is good. I have no complaints.
Still important to have a solid bottom pair too. The only logic I can see is they think Quincey will have a better veteran calm for Olofsson. Or what Dr Itor said. Ignoring the fact he just really isn't all that good.

space321

May 11, 2011
No doubt... we knew this was what we'd be targeting in free agency coming into this off-season. Yet people ate acting like signing bottom pairing and AHL players destroys the entire lineup. :shakehead

No... trading away established top 4D and 2/3W without anyone to replace them destroys the entire lineup. People are disappointed because we lost 3 solid roster players (I'm counting Haula but I know that one was inevitable), and replaced them with nobody.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Olofsson is made of glass. Reilly is questionable as being NHL ready without a solid partner, and waivers exempt.

Quincey/Murphy is the backup plan for the bottom pair. Not a great plan, but it is a plan.

Quincey might also be the most physical d-man on the Wild. The hitting, crease clearing, d-man the Wild have been lacking. Scandella really didn't fill that role well.

I still would have preferred Folin, but that ship sailed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No... trading away established top 4D and 2/3W without anyone to replace them destroys the entire lineup. People are disappointed because we lost 3 solid roster players (I'm counting Haula but I know that one was inevitable), and replaced them with nobody.

Olofsson/Reilly will replace our #5 D - Scandella.

Ennis/Foligno will replace Pominville.

JEE is replacing Haula

I fail to see how we lost anyone so vital and irreplaceable.

These are all moves in the bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair defensemen.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Olofsson/Reilly will replace our #5 D - Scandella.

Ennis/Foligno will replace Pominville.

JEE is replacing Haula

I fail to see how we lost anyone so vital and irreplaceable.

These are all moves in the bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair defensemen.

I think part of it is this was a team that was better at the end of the season, than it is right now. How our season ended stung. Probably still stings some currently. The return on the Scandella trade was disappointing. None of the signing move the needle for me. At least for Minnesota. Iowa should be improved. Hopefully KQ will respond well to our style and impress. I certainly don't want him to fail, but I just remember him never being noticeable when he was in Detroit for good reasons. Usually bonehead plays.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think part of it is this was a team that was better at the end of the season, than it is right now. How our season ended stung. Probably still stings some currently. The return on the Scandella trade was disappointing. None of the signing move the needle for me. At least for Minnesota. Iowa should be improved. Hopefully KQ will respond well to our style and impress. I certainly don't want him to fail, but I just remember him never being noticeable when he was in Detroit for good reasons. Usually bonehead plays.

I get the feeling that Fletcher's sights were quite a bit higher at the beginning of June than they ended up at the beginning of July.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Quincy is trash. Folin was the better choice.

Or sign them both and dont sign Murphy.

Because I do not think it is a sure thing that Olofsson or Reilly can be relied in to take over the bottom LD spot.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Quincey might also be the most physical d-man on the Wild. The hitting, crease clearing, d-man the Wild have been lacking. Scandella really didn't fill that role well.

I don't see Quincey as that type of player at all. He's invisible.

Do we know why Folin was reluctant to sign with the Wild?

Wild didn't want to give him a 1 way contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad