Confirmed with Link: Wild sign Jordie Benn - 1 yr $900k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
No, you can have expectations. You just can't(shouldn't) get mad when those expectations don't align with reality.
I'm not mad. I'm certainly disappointed that my assumption that Guerin had more up his sleeve than he ever did turned out to be ill founded. That will help to inform my expectations of him going forward.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I'm not mad. I'm certainly disappointed that my assumption that Guerin had more up his sleeve than he ever did turned out to be ill founded. That will help to inform my expectations of him going forward.
Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically. You in the general sense.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I think that's a pretty foolish thing to say; don't have expectations is pretty much what it boils down to.
So if I expect the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year. I should get upset that they don’t?

Nah. You’re being foolish with your expectations. Expectations that had no basis in reality, just a narrative that you created in your own head

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So if I expect the Vikes to win the Super Bowl this year. I should get upset that they don’t?

Nah. You’re being foolish with your expectations. Expectations that had no basis in reality, just a narrative that you created in your own head
This isn't a meaningful argument unless you provide an example of what you think reasonable expectations would have been. Without that TSK's more or less correct.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
This isn't a meaningful argument unless you provide an example of what you think reasonable expectations would have been. Without that TSK's more or less correct.
Whatever. Y’all keep seeing unrealistic expectations and getting angry when they don’t come into fruition

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Certainly around here they are.

And if hating the GM and the team is creating such malaise I don't know why they'd want to stick around to be fans of them in the first place. why would you want to do something that doesn't make you happy?

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble deciphering what you think people should do.

I've been a fan of this team (and others are in the same boat) through two owners, four general managers, six head coaches, and hundreds of players. The team still persists long after individuals are gone.

But you have a problem with people criticizing and disliking the actions or inactions of whoever is currently in charge, and your solution is to...go be a fan of another team? I should just simply become an Avalanche fan until the Wild get a GM whose every move I agree with, or what?

Please clarify, because that's what it sounds like you're saying, but I think we can all agree that would be a really stupid thing to say.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Any upgrade or a meaningful one though? Signing haula to be just better than Rask isn’t a move I personally want
I'm not big on Haula, but I would've been open-minded about a Haula-caliber center if that's the most that was available without spending top prospects or draft picks. Pius Suter is unproven, but didn't cost much and would've been worth taking a shot on. Again, barring a higher-profile move that I realize are hard to make happen.

But either way, thinking that a GM will address obvious areas of need is kind of a baseline expectation rather than an exotic one, in my mind.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm not big on Haula, but I would've been open-minded about a Haula-caliber center if that's the most that was available without spending top prospects or draft picks. Pius Suter is unproven, but didn't cost much and would've been worth taking a shot on. Again, barring a higher-profile move that I realize are hard to make happen.

But either way, thinking that a GM will address obvious areas of need is kind of a baseline expectation rather than an exotic one, in my mind.
Not disagreeing with expecting him to address it, just some of the names being thrown around or just simply anyone better than Rask seems silly as just being better than Rask leaves us at mediocre still.

Reactions: Slotski

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not disagreeing with expecting him to address it, just some of the names being thrown around or just simply anyone better than Rask seems silly as just being better than Rask leaves us at mediocre still.
More than likely and I get why people aren't keen on that either. Circling back to the actual thread topic, I think that's part of why these sorts of veteran depth signings are more irksome than they would be otherwise: if the team simply didn't have a way to upgrade the roster this summer, the consolation prize would've been more opportunities for some of the prospects to earn spots.

After going from 5 top-4 defensemen to 3 I get why it'd be a priority to not put too much weight on Addison right away, but I thought we had that pretty well covered with Goligoski, Kulikov and Merrill. There was enough room for Addison if he showed he was worth the minutes, but he wouldn't have been forced to fill a hole. So now the consolation prize for a lack of upgrades is warmed-over veterans, which seems like a really conservative approach for a team that can't be aiming all that high next year anyway.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Sorry, I'm having a little trouble deciphering what you think people should do.

I've been a fan of this team (and others are in the same boat) through two owners, four general managers, six head coaches, and hundreds of players. The team still persists long after individuals are gone.

But you have a problem with people criticizing and disliking the actions or inactions of whoever is currently in charge, and your solution is to...go be a fan of another team? I should just simply become an Avalanche fan until the Wild get a GM whose every move I agree with, or what?

Please clarify, because that's what it sounds like you're saying, but I think we can all agree that would be a really stupid thing to say.

You can do what you want (and you know this...this is just you being you)....all I'm saying is if people hate the moves and hate the team do much...why be fans of it? If all you do as a fan is complain...why be a fan?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

If you want to use the Vikes to win a Super Bowl as an example; I think it would be a disappointment for the Vikings to not make the playoffs this year. And I believe that head's will roll if they don't - and even if they do and don't make it too far.

I think the expectations that most Wild fans had was either shit or get off the pot at this point. If the Wild are going to go for a full rebuild - just do it. If the Wild are going to the playoffs - what's the point of being 1 and done again? A lot of fans are getting tired of squeaking into the playoffs and then getting blown out by a superior team. To use another example, how many fans were upset with the lack of moves that the Twins did in the early 2000s only to get spanked by the Yankees?

Wild have expectations of either rebuilding and letting the young guys like Rossi, Boldy and Addison play with no expectations other than develop - or signing veterans with the intentions of selling them at the deadline - which I don't expect the Wild to do either.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
More than likely and I get why people aren't keen on that either. Circling back to the actual thread topic, I think that's part of why these sorts of veteran depth signings are more irksome than they would be otherwise: if the team simply didn't have a way to upgrade the roster this summer, the consolation prize would've been more opportunities for some of the prospects to earn spots.

After going from 5 top-4 defensemen to 3 I get why it'd be a priority to not put too much weight on Addison right away, but I thought we had that pretty well covered with Goligoski, Kulikov and Merrill. There was enough room for Addison if he showed he was worth the minutes, but he wouldn't have been forced to fill a hole. So now the consolation prize for a lack of upgrades is warmed-over veterans, which seems like a really conservative approach for a team that can't be aiming all that high next year anyway.
Apparently my reply never sent….
I fully believe it’s a rebuild in disguise. The public wouldn’t accept it so this is how they have to construct it

Reactions: Drewcifer

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think you’ll see much at the deadline but hopefully we sell this year
Who do we have to sell now? Zuccarello still has a NMC. Greenway is still young. Dumba is now needed due to the loss of Suter and Soucy, and still relatively young. Even if Kahkonen has a great year, Talbot would still be a need as a good backup.

Guys like Benn, Gaudreau, Bjugstad, Sturm and Kulikov will get next to nothing.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Who do we have to sell now? Zuccarello still has a NMC. Greenway is still young. Dumba is now needed due to the loss of Suter and Soucy, and still relatively young. Even if Kahkonen has a great year, Talbot would still be a need as a good backup.

You know nothing for certain. Dumba, Foligno greenway and anyone without a nmc can be traded. Will they be is a question I can’t answer.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
You all know that if one of the young guys steps up it is no big deal to put one of these cheap veteran depth signings on waivers, right? This signing may not mean that Addison isn't getting a chance. It may just mean that if he isn't ready we have it covered.

Reactions: Slotski and MuckOG

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You all know that if one of the young guys steps up it is no big deal to put one of these cheap veteran depth signings on waivers, right? This signing may not mean that Addison isn't getting a chance. It may just mean that if he isn't ready we have it covered.
It's not impossible, but usually when the GM fills up with 1-way contracts the intention is pretty clear. It doesn't cut Addison out completely, it just greatly reduces the chances that he'll spend much time in Minnesota this season.

I don't even necessarily think that's a bad thing, at least long term. It's just boring.

Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Fiala (RFA), Rask (center, could be a decent depth option for a contender), Greenway (RFA), Bjugstad (veteran), Sturm (ufa), Goligoski (veteran), Benn (veteran), Merrill (veteran), Kahkonen (RFA) and then looking at next year, Kulikov (veteran), Dumba (offensive defenseman), Gaudreau and Zuccarello (10-team no trade).

Fiala, Greenway and Kahkonen are iffy at being moved, but who knows?

Rask is a veteran and could shore up some depth. Won't get much, but it might be better than watching him walk for nothing.

Bjugstad is a veteran and again could shore up some depth at the deadline for a team needing a good depth player that can play wing or center.

Sturm is an UFA, but I don't see anyone trading for him really due to that uncertain contract and him being a dime a dozen.

Goligoski, Benn and Merrill all fall in the same boat and could be seen as depth defensemen for a contending team. Kulikov ended up getting a conditional 4th and that's where I see all three players - conditional 4th, turning into a third if they make it past the first round.

It's not necessarily what we'll get back, but who is going to walk at the end of the year that the Wild can maximize from.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Maybe what he had up his sleeve was scuttled due to the Kaprizov negotiations. It's kinda tough to take on additional salary if the team's most important player isn't signed.

Reactions: Slotski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad