Confirmed with Link: Wild sign Jordie Benn - 1 yr $900k

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again people put way too much stock in what a GM says publicly. And bringing in guys on cheap one year deals isn't necessarily creating roadblocks. Depth and competition are not bad things.
Is there really is a fair competition, though? If Merrill, Bjugstad Rask, and Benn are on one way contracts, and Dewar, Addison, etc. are on two ways(nvm the AHL "Veteran rule" limit), it's pretty clear what direction the team is going in.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
This competition thing is crap. This may work at lower levels, but none of these players reach this level without an intense desire to compete, both with their teammates and against the players on the other teams. I don’t know where this false narrative comes from.

How is it a false narrative to say competition is not bad?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Is there really is a fair competition, though? If Merrill, Bjugstad Rask, and Benn are on one way contracts, and Dewar, Addison, etc. are on two ways(nvm the AHL "Veteran rule" limit), it's pretty clear what direction the team is going in.

If it's not a "fair competition" I do not care.
Is it somehow bad if Addison plays top line minutes in all situations in Iowa vs playing 3rd pair minutes with MN?
I'd much rather have guys over ripe than under prepared. These signings aren't going to kill us... nor are they going to elevate us. They are body fillers for a damn year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it's not a "fair competition" I do not care.
Is it somehow bad if Addison plays top line minutes in all situations in Iowa vs playing 3rd pair minutes with MN?
I'd much rather have guys over ripe than under prepared. These signings aren't going to kill us... nor are they going to elevate us. They are body fillers for a damn year.
The source of confusion here is that the buyouts (or at least Suter's) set an expectation that there would be some kind of last hurrah this year before the real pain set in. Clearing one year of space and spending it on body fillers that neither elevate nor kill us while blocking out prospects is going to result in a pretty frustrated fanbase.

And yes, I know: it doesn't matter and we're all just ticking down the minutes until the heat death of the universe. Maybe that'll be this year's slogan.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The source of confusion here is that the buyouts (or at least Suter's) set an expectation that there would be some kind of last hurrah this year before the real pain set in. Clearing one year of space and spending it on body fillers that neither elevate nor kill us while blocking out prospects is going to result in a pretty frustrated fanbase.

And yes, I know: it doesn't matter and we're all just ticking down the minutes until the heat death of the universe. Maybe that'll be this year's slogan.

You should already know that what the fan base thinks means zilch to me. If some of them hate it so bad...go find another team. (And I've already seen several threats on social media saying theyll do it...ok bye.)
There was also no formal announcement anywhere that this last year is the year of "going for it" that was a fan narrative. From what I recall...the narrative from the team is to get through it. (Yes I know I'm the one claiming most GM statements can be ignored) and with these moves...that seems to be the one being backed up. If it means 4+ years of pain..then so be it. Let guys develop, let them get over ripe and deal with the pain.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Big fish, small pond or big fish in a big pond?

Furthermore, get practices in with the Wild, get trained with the coaches, get used to his partner and the team.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Competition is good at lower levels to encourage players to improve. At this level, these players are driven and self motivated.
Competition shouldn’t be necessary.
Also, for the bulk of these players, “they are who they are”. No amount of competition is ever going to make the Rau’s, Camarrosa’s and Gaudreau’s of this world any more than fringe NHLers.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

"Heat Death for Wright" doesn't rhyme. Need to punch that up.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Competition is good at lower levels to encourage players to improve. At this level, these players are driven and self motivated.
Competition shouldn’t be necessary.
Also, for the bulk of these players, “they are who they are”. No amount of competition is ever going to make the Rau’s, Camarrosa’s and Gaudreau’s of this world any more than fringe NHLers.
I doubt anyone is expecting them to be more than that. The competition is for the younger guys. Could also be the team doesn't want to use younger guys in fringe roles. Which again for me is not a bad thing

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You should already know that what the fan base thinks means zilch to me. If some of them hate it so bad...go find another team. (And I've already seen several threats on social media saying theyll do it...ok bye.)
There was also no formal announcement anywhere that this last year is the year of "going for it" that was a fan narrative. From what I recall...the narrative from the team is to get through it. (Yes I know I'm the one claiming most GM statements can be ignored) and with these moves...that seems to be the one being backed up. If it means 4+ years of pain..then so be it. Let guys develop, let them get over ripe and deal with the pain.
I don't think signing Benn or Addison playing another year in Iowa is a big problem, but it's another indicator of what management is orienting the team towards and it's hard to blame any fan for being disgusted by that. If the main thing your team of choice inspires in you is malaise, I think most would agree that that's a problem.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
They're also free to continue with this one and being disappointed with the GM.
Certainly around here they are.

And if hating the GM and the team is creating such malaise I don't know why they'd want to stick around to be fans of them in the first place. why would you want to do something that doesn't make you happy?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

This I don't understand. I never thought that these buyouts were somehow a signal that we would be going for broke this season. I thought these buyouts were nothing more than a clearing out of the old and the beginning of a transition to a younger roster....The guys signed to 1 year deals are nothing more than fillers for this season, with the intention that the younger players (Boldy, Rossi, Addison, et al) would start claiming roster spots either this season or next at the latest.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
This I don't understand. I never thought that these buyouts were somehow a signal that we would be going for broke this season. I thought these buyouts were nothing more than a clearing out of the old and the beginning of a transition to a younger roster....The guys signed to 1 year deals are nothing more than fillers for this season, with the intention that the younger players (Boldy, Rossi, Addison, et al) would start claiming roster spots either this season or next at the latest.

Exactly the last hurrah narrative is completely fan generated

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I never thought that these buyouts were somehow a signal that we would be going for broke this season.

It opened up a significant amount of cap room for this season only. The only reason why you would buy out Suter/Parise this year instead of next year is that you have some players in mind to bring in for this year only and to push deep in the playoffs. That maybe what Guerin is doing, but just can't find a center to fill out the rest.

The next 3 years though is when this team would be rebuilding or should be.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It opened up a significant amount of cap room for this season only. The only reason why you would buy out Suter/Parise this year instead of next year is that you have some players in mind to bring in for this year only and to push deep in the playoffs. That maybe what Guerin is doing, but just can't find a center to fill out the rest.

The next 3 years though is when this team would be rebuilding or should be.

So? Cap space may have been opened up for this season, but how does that equate to them using that cap space to make a run for this season? I've yet to read a quote from Guerin suggesting that he is building for a one year playoff push.

And I disagree that the ONLY reason to buy out Suter/Parise is to make a deep playoff push. I think its more likely that Guerin just didn't want them around the team any longer, for whatever reason.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think its more likely that Guerin just didn't want them around the team any longer, for whatever reason.

He literally said this was it. It should be obvious that this is why he bought them out, not to load up for a Cup run for one season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
For me personally I didn't think they'd be going for broke or anything, but it did lock this season in as the last chance we'll have for 4 years to build on what the team did last year. So yeah, I absolutely expected something to get done, especially at center, even if it was just a stop-gap/flyer sort of thing. The closest we've come to that is Goligoski, who's fine in his presumed role but at best is treading water from what we already had with Suter.

I guess I'll put it this way: despite all the 1st round exits and 10-16th picks, it's been rare for me to go into a season without something to pique my interest. Some new variable to watch and see how it changes things from last season, good or bad. Right now the best answer I can come up with for next season is "like last year, but a little worse." I don't think that should be a universal opinion by any means or that people that are excited and interested are wrong... but I understand the frustration.

And I guess another somewhat-meta thing - I think everyone that frequents these boards shares at least two interests: watching hockey and discussing hockey. For me personally it's a pretty even split between those two, and to some degree watching the Wild is just an excuse to discuss it on here, because discussing (and debating and complaining about) things is fun. Like if I watch a game and nothing worth talking about happens, I generally feel like I wasted my evening. To some degree I'm dreading the possibility of this season being "that game" in macrocosm.

Now what any of this has to do with signing a depth defenseman to a depth defenseman contract? Not a lot, but pushing Addison down to Iowa is one-fewer-thing-to-talk-about for many. Hopefully it's the right long-term move.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So? Cap space may have been opened up for this season, but how does that equate to them using that cap space to make a run for this season? I've yet to read a quote from Guerin suggesting that he is building for a one year playoff push.

More money to spend and more chances to load up for a year. Guerin hasn't really said much about what he's doing.

And I disagree that the ONLY reason to buy out Suter/Parise is to make a deep playoff push. I think its more likely that Guerin just didn't want them around the team any longer, for whatever reason.

I'd like to know who the hell is advising Guerin then...oh...it's Shero...no wonder. That whatever reason is a terrible reason to blow a huge hole in your cap. At best, Guerin could have staggered it where he hung onto Suter for one more season and then bought him out. There was ZERO incentive to buying out Suter unless he was that much of an asshole in the locker room and then there is a lot more issues than just Suter if you couldn't just make it work for one more season.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

That "you" set yourself...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That "you" set yourself...
Yes, I know. They were expectations I set based on a personal interpretation of management's actions. I take responsibility for those expectations.

I guess I don't get the disconnect here. Should fans not have expectations? Or if they should, should they be based on something else?

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yes, I know. They were expectations I set based on a personal interpretation of management's actions. I take responsibility for those expectations.

I guess I don't get the disconnect here. Should fans not have expectations? Or if they should, should they be based on something else?
No, you can have expectations. You just can't(shouldn't) get mad when those expectations don't align with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad