Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His offseason determination this year seems to mirror the determination Granlund had after his early struggles. Grandlund came back after that pivotal summer a MUCH improved player!
Agreed. I'm cautiously excited to see how he does, probably the one thing I'm most looking forward to watching this upcoming season since I'm expecting, at best, another first round exit.

My concern is that his issues are mostly on ice and he won't be able to address them without playing NHL games (and maybe some actual coaching)

Reactions: 7dayBender

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nice to see Yurov at camp. Good sign he wants to come over once his contract is up.
He can't be blind to the fact that there will likely be an opening on Kap's other wing after this upcoming season. Not saying he will be the one to fill it, but it gives him something to shoot for.

I guess no one went down to the development camp?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He can't be blind to the fact that there will likely be an opening on Kap's other wing after this upcoming season. Not saying he will be the one to fill it, but it gives him something to shoot for.

I don't blame anyone with no scrimmage. And from BG's interviews, he's really pushing for it to be more an orientation camp rather than a training camp, so it wouldn't be very eventful. The prospect tourney in Sep will be more interesting though.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

I wish I had the time to. Only been to one.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Interesting that in Joe Smith’s recent article he labels Yurov as being viewed as a potential center. Could change some things.

218Hockey

Oct 20, 2020
Minnesota
Interesting that in Joe Smith’s recent article he labels Yurov as being viewed as a potential center. Could change some things.
Sounds like Hunter Haight stood out again. He got a lot of praise last year too. Right handed center with good puck skills.

Reactions: Blue Ox

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Didn't Novak practice yesterday? Smith said, he is expected to be on the ice for development camp in the next couple of days.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017

Hey I’m in this video! Haha that’s my family, wife, daughter, 2 boys with hockey hair and I’ve got the black hat.. but the important information is I was watching these drills specifically for that. They actually rotated all forwards through the faceoff drills. Yurov looked just okay, Ohgren actually was very strong and coaches were eating that up (more on him in a few) and Stramel looked like maybe the best one in the dot from the second group.

I honestly feel like Ohgren could play in the NHL this season if he wanted, he was head and shoulders above the rest and idk that I anticipated that. Smooth skater, but I had zero idea how heavy his shot was or how quick his release is. He had a shot off a feed from Heidt that nicked the post and smacked the boards in front of Dean and the other coaches and you could see their jaws drop and look around.. everyone at the rink was a little surprised by how heavy it was.

Faber, ROR, Hunt, Peart, and Lambos all looked really good. Faber was so full of energy and it lead to the first group having a much higher pace than the 2nd group.

Heidt can shoot, and in 2 on 2 drills was plenty physical moving guys off of the puck and creating plays.

Hunter Haight was not far behind Ohgren imo for most fun to watch, impressive… not near as close to ready as Liam but he’s a very good skater, shot is very hard and he made a fantastic feed that Ohgren teed off on for the first goal in the 2 on 2.

Yurov looked good, I would say he wasn’t the most confident of guys out there but pure tools you can tell he’s going to be a good player, he competed on both sides of the puck.

Stramel skated well, but really seemed to struggle in some of the passing drills and seemed to be rushing everything.. but as soon as 2 on 2 started he looked like a man. He was aggressive and played through contact, made some good plays and had one notable setup/assist. The highlight was when Milne kind of ran through and tripped him up, Stramel got back in his chops and laid into him as if to not give him an inch and Milne went down and Stramel took the puck back. Guerin seemed to love the play… puck came back to the other end and those two stayed tied up. Was just high compete and good hockey from both of them.

Zach Stejskal from UMD was in net and man he looked really solid and confident, was the best of the 4 goalies they had there.. not sure anything would come of it but he looked great and probably should be in the AHL for someone.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How was Beckman, Rossi, and Walker? I would expect them to look vg, though Guerin has stressed to all the participants that this is not a tryout, but more of an introductory camp.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
How was Beckman, Rossi, and Walker? I would expect them to look vg, though Guerin has stressed to all the participants that this is not a tryout, but more of an introductory camp.
Only Walker was there. He looked very good.. all of the AHL guys looked solid. You could tell Sammy definitely knew he had to establish himself and I think he did a good job of it. I wouldn’t say he stood out or made me say whoa or anything, but he looked very good.

I will say him, ROR, Hunt and Haight spent a lot of time with kids signing autographs and chatting with kids. Was cool to see.

I really just can’t get over how much more hyped I am for Ohgren.. I liked the prospect before, but I’m very excited for what he will bring.

Reactions: Slotski and Blue Ox

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I honestly feel like Ohgren could play in the NHL this season if he wanted, he was head and shoulders above the rest and idk that I anticipated that. Smooth skater, but I had zero idea how heavy his shot was or how quick his release is. He had a shot off a feed from Heidt that nicked the post and smacked the boards in front of Dean and the other coaches and you could see their jaws drop and look around.. everyone at the rink was a little surprised by how heavy it was.
It's hard when people get a front row view of Snuggerud and Ohgren is far away with limited viewership. I think that is where a lot of the less than enthusiastic talk about Ohgren comes from.

I viewed him as a decently sized goal scoring winger. He lead his junior league in goal scoring his draft year. This year was a little more rocky with an injury, but he still finished with a fairly solid 20 points in 36 games. He exploded in the playoffs for 13 points in 17 games and a team leading 8 goals while being +10 (2nd behind a dman). This jives well with him as a two-way player.

Everything I have seen or read about him from articles has been positive. Most of the negative stuff I read about him comes from this board.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's hard when people get a front row view of Snuggerud and Ohgren is far away with limited viewership. I think that is where a lot of the less than enthusiastic talk about Ohgren comes from.

I viewed him as a decently sized goal scoring winger. He lead his junior league in goal scoring his draft year. This year was a little more rocky with an injury, but he still finished with a fairly solid 20 points in 36 games. He exploded in the playoffs for 13 points in 17 games and a team leading 8 goals while being +10 (2nd behind a dman). This jives well with him as a two-way player.

Everything I have seen or read about him from articles has been positive. Most of the negative stuff I read about him comes from this board.
I'm not writing off Ohgren at all.

But as somebody that is pro-Snuggerud, it mostly comes from the fact that a top-end shot, right-shooting RW is pretty clearly (IMO) our organization's second biggest need, behind top 6 center.

That being said, I wasn't exactly pounding the table for him during the 2022 draft, since his production at the NTDP wasn't exactly other-worldly, especially compared to the 2018-19 or now to the 2022-23 classes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad