GDT: Wild @ Capitals - 11/7/2013 7 PM

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Rewatching the game.

They call Erat for that but let the wild obstruct the entire game? I'm glad that team and style of play is out west tbh. It's boring and looks like Ottawa did last year. I totally agree with that Suter gif. Interferes and holds all in a 2 second clip. That's not fighting for ice it's clearly slowing down the game.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Heatley non-call for that holding in the 1st period was hilarious. :laugh:

Usually you only need to grab and it's instantly a call but he just kept holding him for like 5 seconds.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Rough outing from Mike Green, sloppy defensively and turned the puck over way too often. On the plus side, I thought Schmidt had one of his better games - he even landed some well timed hits.

If by way too often you mean 9 out of every 10 touches (5v5) then yes...WAY TOO OFTEN. The only passes he connects in the Dzone are to Schmidt when he gets in trouble. Then Schmidt breaks us out.

He is hesitating and over thinking plays. He needs to simplify his 5v5 play, and just move the puck to the open man. Stop going for the high risk play / home run.

If you look at Mikes game, his skating is really poor right now. I wonder if he still has lingering physical or mental issues from his last injury. I suspect he's fighting something right now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Rewatching the game.

They call Erat for that but let the wild obstruct the entire game? I'm glad that team and style of play is out west tbh. It's boring and looks like Ottawa did last year. I totally agree with that Suter gif. Interferes and holds all in a 2 second clip. That's not fighting for ice it's clearly slowing down the game.

I totally agree. Junk hockey. Clutching and grabbing by the Wild all night. Their goal is to get a lead and then lull the other team to sleep. You'd think that when they go out and spend a bunch of money on some top end players they'd open it up a bit.

Give the Caps credit tho since they were relentless in the 2nd half of the game.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Now I remember why I've always been kinda meh about the Wild - they are the opposite of entertaining.

If your game-plan is first and foremost centered on neutralizing everything the other team is trying to do and waiting for a mistake, then you have a neutered game. Nice to get 2 points, but that style is about as enjoyable as eating pre-chewed sawdust.

Somebody mentioned MoJo playing better D as a center, and I completely agree. He's much more active and noticeable in the D zone (which he's supposed to be) as a C, and he can use his smarts and speed to cut off passing lanes and keep scoring chances from forming. Conversely, his board work shortcomings aren't as big a liability at C.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, MoJo sucked on faceoff's, but he more then made up for it during the game, i thought he looked good lately... creative, fast even shruging people off of him :skeptic: It's funny that the first thing that you commented on was the negative part of his game (in victory), in reality though positive out weighed the negative by a good margin.

I love the way Johansson has been playing for much of this season in general and especially since being moved back to center.

I brought it up because one thing that really jumped out to me was how easily the Caps were handled in the faceoff circle so I went to look at the stats and low and behold it wasn't the Caps as a whole as I had suspected, as did Cali, but just Brouwer and Johansson.

Part of playing center is taking draws and Johansson was never good in the faceoff circle to begin with and the time off from taking many of them hasn't improved things apparently.

I'd like to see him improve in that area and since he is playing with Laich and Brouwer, 2 guys who also take a decent amount of draws, simply being more aggressive in attempting to gain an advantage before the puck gets dropped at the risk of being tossed out seems like an obvious first step.

And just so I know, are we only allowed to bring up inconvenient facts after losses? What about OTLs? Are they allowed then? Or is our mantra 'we won so everything is wonderful...?'

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You'd think Adam Oates would be able to teach these guys how to take a faceoff.

BTW, I'm on record as saying that the most improved player on the team is MJ. He might even be a top 6 center capable of carrying a line. Give it a couple months.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
oh...no. please. id rather be negative too. we all know that winning is no fun and getting to rip somebody on this team for something makes us all feel better.

good catch there. the wild are the best in the league in face offs and Johansson was embarrassed by them. brouwer is a winger taking face offs. he gets a pass.
but yea. 90 blew

The Caps got 2 points in a game they arguably deserved to get zero from.

I'm pleased with the 2 points but not how they played as a whole. I especially was not pleased with their faceoff work and was under the impression the entire team performed poorly in that area. When I went and looked at the stat sheet I discovered I was wrong and that other than Brouwer and Johansson the rest of the team more than held their own.

I figured others might have been under the same impression I was that it was a whole team failure in that area so I brought up that it wasn't. If that offended your delicate 'no complaining after earning 2 points' sensibilities I apologize.

I've never been a Johansson hater. I have never called for him to be traded. And I have been very happy with his play this season in general and especially since being moved back to his natural center position. But taking draws is part of the job of a centerman and he needs to improve in that area IMO. Do you disagree?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Now I remember why I've always been kinda meh about the Wild - they are the opposite of entertaining.

If your game-plan is first and foremost centered on neutralizing everything the other team is trying to do and waiting for a mistake, then you have a neutered game. Nice to get 2 points, but that style is about as enjoyable as eating pre-chewed sawdust.

Hunter hockey at it's best...

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I just wanted to come in and say thank you for the entertainment that was this thread. The mood swings were amazing. After the first and second periods you guys were absolutely trashing your entire team, "It's over." blah blah blah. Then the mood totally changed and the Caps pulled out the win even with the ref's totally hosing them!

Hilarious. Thank you.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Caps got 2 points in a game they arguably deserved to get zero from.

I'm pleased with the 2 points but not how they played as a whole. I especially was not pleased with their faceoff work and was under the impression the entire team performed poorly in that area. When I went and looked at the stat sheet I discovered I was wrong and that other than Brouwer and Johansson the rest of the team more than held their own.

I figured others might have been under the same impression I was that it was a whole team failure in that area so I brought up that it wasn't. If that offended your delicate 'no complaining after earning 2 points' sensibilities I apologize.

I've never been a Johansson hater. I have never called for him to be traded. And I have been very happy with his play this season in general and especially since being moved back to his natural center position. But taking draws is part of the job of a centerman and he needs to improve in that area IMO. Do you disagree?

Surprised to see that Brouwer had that bad FO numbers. I think he won 2 out of 3 during their PP's.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I just wanted to come in and say thank you for the entertainment that was this thread. The mood swings were amazing. After the first and second periods you guys were absolutely trashing your entire team, "It's over." blah blah blah. Then the mood totally changed and the Caps pulled out the win even with the ref's totally hosing them!

Hilarious. Thank you.

It's how we do. :laugh:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RE: MJ

He is continuing to progress each year which really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone given his age and production trend.

He'll be better as he develops physically. I see him hitting a bit too which is great.

RE: Brouwer and Laich

They were better last night. Still can tell both these guys are a bit frustrated.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Good game guys. I have no idea why the wild sat back on a 2-1 lead they have been better than that lately. But give your guys credit for pushing in the third. Also holtby is really good really nice saves last night.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
You'd think Adam Oates would be able to teach these guys how to take a faceoff.

BTW, I'm on record as saying that the most improved player on the team is MJ. He might even be a top 6 center capable of carrying a line. Give it a couple months.
I've been a Mojo believer/defender the past few years and his play to start the season kept me quiet. He seemingly hadn't improved and looked like he sat out offseason workouts.

But his turnaround recently has been staggering. Creative, intelligent, and effective play with even some strong physical play mixed in. Long may it continue.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Hilarious. Thank you.

You've heard of polar caps, well this fan base is the bi-polar caps.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I've been a Mojo believer/defender the past few years and his play to start the season kept me quiet. He seemingly hadn't improved and looked like he sat out offseason workouts.

But his turnaround recently has been staggering. Creative, intelligent, and effective play with even some strong physical play mixed in. Long may it continue.

Well I was not a believer but totally agree. Can't help but believe playing his natural position is a big factor. Good on him.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Hilarious. Thank you.

Pretty typical Caps board GDT

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

Hilarious. Thank you.

This was one of the more calm GDTs of this season.

MackenKracken

Jan 31, 2013
VA

Hilarious. Thank you.

Honestly, I can completely understand why you would turn to our thread for entertainment while watching Minnesota play. I suppose you do that every game with the opposing teams thread? The Wild could be the most boring team I've seen us play thus far. what a shame, going out and getting those big names with nothing to show for it.:sarcasm:

Vladiator16*

I love the way Johansson has been playing for much of this season in general and especially since being moved back to center.

I brought it up because one thing that really jumped out to me was how easily the Caps were handled in the faceoff circle so I went to look at the stats and low and behold it wasn't the Caps as a whole as I had suspected, as did Cali, but just Brouwer and Johansson.

Part of playing center is taking draws and Johansson was never good in the faceoff circle to begin with and the time off from taking many of them hasn't improved things apparently.

I'd like to see him improve in that area and since he is playing with Laich and Brouwer, 2 guys who also take a decent amount of draws, simply being more aggressive in attempting to gain an advantage before the puck gets dropped at the risk of being tossed out seems like an obvious first step.

And just so I know, are we only allowed to bring up inconvenient facts after losses? What about OTLs? Are they allowed then? Or is our mantra 'we won so everything is wonderful...?'

Come on man, what i meant was, somehow, in your original post, you didnt mention any positives and it came off as: "MJ is 1 for 9 on face offs, he sucks" and what i see is Mojo's playing some good hockey, thats it. Obviously, i do agree face offs is his weakness, and he needs to get better at it, but all around his game since Oates moved him back to center improved tremendously.
Cant say the same about Laich.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I didn't just single out Johansson and we all know faceoffs aren't just on the centerman to win, they are just the guy credited with the win or loss.

But the sheer number of possession losses when those two were taking draws last night was amazing. 3 wins and 16 losses? I'm sorry but those numbers are boarding on unbelievable IMO. I just felt like I had to share it. I'm sorry it upset some people.

I'm very pleased with Johansson's recent play without a doubt.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
In any case, with MJ I think 95% of the "bashing" was related to his performance on the 1st line, which was meh. That, and the fact that he's one the few remaining assets that could have potential to be traded for an important piece.

I don't think anybody thought that he couldn't be a good piece on the team in some capacity. He is too cheap to be a problem even if he doesn't pan out :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad