Half-Assed GDT: wild blu

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It was hard to watch.

The bright side:
Minnesota aren't acting like a bunch of idiotic thugs. In fact, it was probably the least physical of all the first round games so far.

The Blues break the pattern. Or maybe they can follow the Sharks pattern.

Allen played decently, after he let in that horrible first goal. But I'm not a huge fan of the save where he leaves the rebound in the slot so the a Blues defenseman can pick it up. One of these times it will be a Wild forward he is handing a point blank chance.

Negatives:
Didn't look ready to play playoff hockey. Would like to see a little desperation.

As I've been concerned all along, Michalek is too slow to be effective. He for torched on that first goal and other chances. Maybe last year's Bouwmeester could compliment that, but not the current pairing.

Minnesota's defense is just too good to play the whole game from behind. The Blues need to get the first goal.

There were stretches where the Blues dominated possession. But few dangerous chances and way too few shots. They never really tested Dubnyk.
I think Minnesota playing a physical game actually favors the Blues. Having them make hits on the walls pulls them away from the center of the ice, which helps open things up a bit for the Blues. That sort of physical play also tends to help engage the Blues in the game a bit.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think Minnesota playing a physical game actually favors the Blues. Having them make hits on the walls pulls them away from the center of the ice, which helps open things up a bit for the Blues. That sort of physical play also tends to help engage the Blues in the game a bit.
I was more thinking about the Keith slashes, Shaw's antics, etc. but I agree with your post.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
The original GDT is full up so I'll post my thought here.

What I thought was missing was the hits! When you throw the puck at the net and it gets blocked by the guy in front of you, why not demolish that guy when he's trying to recover the puck in his skates (if you aren't a d-man)? Instead, they just sort of let it go.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The Wild really clogged the middle and sat back for much of the game, and they could only afford to do that because they scored first. If the Blues can score first, they really have the Wild in trouble. They'd be forced to take more chances, which opens them up to be exploited by odd man rushes. Scoring first is always critical, but it's even more critical when facing a team that sits back as much the Wild.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The original GDT is full up so I'll post my thought here.

What I thought was missing was the hits! When you throw the puck at the net and it gets blocked by the guy in front of you, why not demolish that guy when he's trying to recover the puck in his skates (if you aren't a d-man)? Instead, they just sort of let it go.

22shots, 21 hits.

this ofcourse after they put on a display against chicago last week where they had 50 hits. its almost like they dont even play to win now, they just decide they want another early exit again.

minnesota was the team with the lowest total of team hits and is the least physical team in the league and instead of pounding them with LA King style of hockey that we have seen the Blues play before, they decide to act like they are the Penguins and try to dipsy doodle and passy mcpass through the wild.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
22shots, 21 hits.

this ofcourse after they put on a display against chicago last week where they had 50 hits. its almost like they dont even play to win now, they just decide they want another early exit again.

minnesota was the team with the lowest total of team hits and is the least physical team in the league and instead of pounding them with LA King style of hockey that we have seen the Blues play before, they decide to act like they are the Penguins and try to dipsy doodle and passy mcpass through the wild.

Yeah, let's be more like the penguins, oh wait that's not us, let's go check some holes through them. Kind of reminds me of the 2000 playoffs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Is it crazy to think this team does better with some of the top guys sitting. With a full squad, everyone seems to throttle back the work ethic.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, let's be more like the penguins, oh wait that's not us, let's go check some holes through them. Kind of reminds me of the 2000 playoffs.

Yep

Jaybo led the team last night with 4 hits. Petro lead the team with 6 shots.

Pretty much says it all in those 2 stats. When Jaybo is your most physical player and Petro is actually getting shots on net the most you are gonna lose, everytime.

BlackNBlue711

Jan 10, 2014
Florissant, MO
This team seems to have an issue finding their brand of hockey when they are off a few days. I fully expect this team to respond Saturday. Expect more energy, more shots on goal, and more hits. Backes won't be a no show tomorrow. My only concern is for Oshie. He has yet to prove he can step in playoff mode consistently and do the things he entertained us with the entire regular season.

Our PP has to get going now more than ever, because you know this game is going to be chippier than the first. Oh and I'm going to pray Stastny can stop whiffing/missing on golden opportunities. :rant:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Is it crazy to think this team does better with some of the top guys sitting. With a full squad, everyone seems to throttle back the work ethic.

It really does seem that way. It's like they think they don't have to work as hard or something when everyone is in the line up.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The more I've thought about it, the more Hitch's "we haven't played well with 3+ days off" comment has irked me. It was game one of the playoffs, show up. That shows no accountability to me. What will the excuse be tomorrow? Afternoon game?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The more I've thought about it, the more Hitch's "we haven't played well with 3+ days off" comment has irked me. It was game one of the playoffs, show up. That shows no accountability to me. What will the excuse be tomorrow? Afternoon game?

Yeah :laugh:

Game 2: "We haven't played well in afternoon games"

Game 3: "Historically speaking, we haven't played well on Monday's"

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Sick and tired of the bull**** excuses from our team's "leaders." It's the same damn crap year after year. If we lose this series there needs to some major changes.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

People get into rhythms, and adjusting to any disruption can be easier said than done. The problem is what if we come back and win this in 5 or 6? We're in the same position in Round 2.

I don't see a problem with Hitch identifying an issue, but it would have been nice if he had identified a potential solution. Like maybe next time we're faced with that situation, there will be double practice every second day to keep the rhythm if they can't be trusted to be up for the game. That should get them to waken up.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois

I have to agree. If you can't get UP for game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoff, (at home!) when are you going to. I'm tired of the excuses. It's time to ****ing play good hockey full of energy and confidence.

All year people kept saying wait for the blues next gear, they are just coasting and reserving energy for the playoffs.

Was that the top gear? I doubt it, but what does it take for this team to turn it on.

Oh well, hopefully we see the REAL team tomorrow, wheels spinning and shoulders flying.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Last night's game pretty much proved to me what I've long believed: this team will only go as far as our top forwards carry us. Guys like Oshie and Backes absolutely must step their game up and lead this team by example. I don't believe goaltending or defense will be our downfall.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah well our media members will never have the guts to ask about Backes' accountability. Ott is dumb too, but whatever, I pretty much expect that from him. Getting under the other team's skin is one of the only reasons he's here even though it's debatable how effective he is at that. But Backes has to show up in game 2 or else I'll really go off on him.

As disappointing as this game was, we still did maintain possession, and should be better in game 2.

I also have to agree that Jackman can't be brought back because he has no real place on this team anymore. With Bortuzzo, Lindbohm and maybe even Parayko, he just won't be needed.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They won't show up any flatter than last night, that's for sure. And they still really only lost by one goal, so, I think that can still bode well for us.

I think we'll win the series too.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Yesterday only affirms my belief that we are simply better than the Wild. Dubnyk is beatable, and we won most of the Battle along the boards. My only worries remain the same (if a bit more specific): I worry Matt Cooke is going to try and hurt somebody, and I worry that Allen's rebound control won't improve and the Wild will start getting at these loose pucks when there's an open net.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
quote from 2 Minute Minor
I hope to see a dramatically better performance in Game 2. I want to see some sign that this team is angry.

Didn't Backes show you that last night when he threw his pissy party :sarcasm:

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
This team seems to have an issue finding their brand of hockey when they are off a few days. I fully expect this team to respond Saturday. Expect more energy, more shots on goal, and more hits. Backes won't be a no show tomorrow. My only concern is for Oshie. He has yet to prove he can step in playoff mode consistently and do the things he entertained us with the entire regular season.

Our PP has to get going now more than ever, because you know this game is going to be chippier than the first. Oh and I'm going to pray Stastny can stop whiffing/missing on golden opportunities. :rant:

If I remember correctly, don't the Blues struggle in games that have an early start time :help:

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis
I see that game as it broke the chain of the last two of our series. We controlled a lot in their zone. I like Pie jumping into the plays. We didn't quit at the end and kept fighting and even scored.

The rest of the series we have to come with more pressure. Don't give them any room to set up anything and attack, attack, attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad