Post-Game Talk: Wild beat Leafs 4-3 in shootout

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
No qualms about our boys and their game last night.

Went toe-to-toe with the top team in the West, and lost in a skills competition.

You could tell their timing and flow was off at the start of the game without Marner, but they settled in and earned everything they got. Minny clearly had more puck luck.

Spezza is just ridiculous. I've got no other words for him. The guy has turned back the clock and is just the heart of this team. Love him......

I don't harp on refs, but the blind eye to Foligno's antics are a joke. He should have been ejected for leaving the bench and he blatantly ran Campbell over. He made no effort to avoid, wasn't pushed, and ran him over, full bore. I'm sorry, but that can't happen, and the only black mark for the Leafs from me last night is no one jumped on him. That just can't happen.....

Much respect to Minnesota and the fans there. They get it, and as much as I hated seeing the Jets leave Winnipeg, I also hated seeing Minnesota lose the North Stars. They are a legitimate hockey market, and it's nice to see it.

No shame in last nights loss. Hopefully Spezza and Marner are feeling better, and we bring a complete effort to Winnipeg.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What a weird game with all the strange bounces that lead to goals in this one.

Leafs still managed a point coming back from 3 down.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
If you are going to include the 80's, I'd think our record is similar against everybody. What an atrocious decade that was.

The original question was about the all time record in Minny. Obviously their record against the rest of the league was equally bad in the 80s.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Bobby Smith was a heckuva tennis player, he got to the semifinals of the ncta's under 18. I won the tournament, unfortunately he lost on the other side of the semi's so I never got to play him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty even game but that's not good enough for the Leafs. We should have outplayed them and even if all their goals were fluky our sleepy start didn't help.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Good team in Minny

they are in such an interesting situation where they have a couple years before the cap destroys them

don’t those buyouts destroy them in 2 or 3 years?

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Good team in Minny

they are in such an interesting situation where they have a couple years before the cap destroys them

don’t those buyouts destroy them in 2 or 3 years?
Yea after this season it'll be brutal as hell for them for 3 years straight. The Suter buyout made zero sense for them.
Minnesota Wild Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
upload_2021-12-5_14-15-21.png

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah, the refs gave us two powerplays to let us tie the game, and then a really iffy one in OT.

Why aren't there more complaints about the ref deliberately kicking the puck to Folingo for their third goal?:sarcasm:

Seriously, we played well but not great against one of the best teams in the league (especially at home) on a hot streak. They had a couple more bounces go their way, and the OT winner was a beauty.

Disappointing outcome, but nothing to be ashamed of, and no real reason to have a shitfit.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
But what else can you do. Maybe after the 3 on 3, each team gets a 1 minute PP, 4 on 3. If still tied then 3 on 2, Kinda gimicky, but at least there is still game format. Better than these shit shootouts.

In my opinion...3-on-3 for 10 minutes and if still tied, it's a tie and each team gets one point. Ties are an unsatisfying result but really no more so than a shootout deciding a "winner." And the prospect of a tie might push teams to be even more aggressive in trying to get that extra point during the 3-on-3. I suspect most team would have no more than 1 or 2 ties per year most years.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Yeah, the refs gave us two powerplays to let us tie the game, and then a really iffy one in OT.

Why aren't there more complaints about the ref deliberately kicking the puck to Folingo for their third goal?:sarcasm:

Seriously, we played well but not great against one of the best teams in the league (especially at home) on a hot streak. They had a couple more bounces go their way, and the OT winner was a beauty.

Disappointing outcome, but nothing to be ashamed of, and no real reason to have a shitfit.

Agreed. I hate any loss, but salvaging a point after being down by 3 on the road against a good team...I'll take that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

1) The penalty on Spezza was far from iffy, he was clearly slashed on the arm.

2) Even if it was iffy, which it wasn’t, it only made up for the blatant non-call on Jack being run over by Foligno.

3) There were many more calls the refs oughtta have made in the 3rd against the Wild, but we already had 5 power plays to their three at the start of the period, so no surprise they gifted the Wild two chintzy calls then put the whistles away. Power plays were even, game managed, job done.

Reactions: Brown Dog

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Felt like a playoff game. Ended like a playoff game, heh.

Thankfully, it wasn't a playoff game. Let's hope the Leafs learn from this. It feels like they're SO close to solving their last few lingering issues.

1) The penalty on Spezza was far from iffy, he was clearly slashed on the arm.

Actually, it's hard to see, but if you watch closely the blade of the stick snaps upwards and hits Spezza in the chin. It's like a split second to see it. Not surprised most people didn't see it. I mean, do you really think Spezza would go to the dressing room over a hit to the arm?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Felt like a playoff game. Ended like a playoff game, heh.

Thankfully, it wasn't a playoff game. Let's hope the Leafs learn from this. It feels like they're SO close to solving their last few lingering issues.

Actually, it's hard to see, but if you watch closely the blade of the stick snaps upwards and hits Spezza in the chin. It's like a split second to see it. Not surprised most people didn't see it. I mean, do you really think Spezza would go to the dressing room over a hit to the arm?

... He came out with ice on his forearm for the post-game interview and explained that the slash struck a nerve. He also missed the resulting powerplay, of which he was on the first unit all game, and the shootout when he's one of our best shootout players. That's a LONG way to go to sell one call in an otherwise meaningless game.

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad