Post-Game Talk: Wild beat Hawks in shootout!

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
You might be able to dig up the Podcast on KFAN.com.....not sure if they go back that far.

I'm sure I'm not the only one around here that heard that interview. It was right after he signed..Don't recall if it was Paul Allen or Dan Barriero.

I remember PA doing the same thing with JP.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Gilbert, Brodin and Suter all impressed. Suter played how I've been expecting him to play. Gilbert played as well as I've been expecting Suter to play. The only thing disappointing about Brodin is that he makes me expect more from Granlund, which is unfair.

Granlund pretty well personified the team as a whole. He had some of his best shifts, he had some terrible shifts.

Was this Parise's worst game for the Wild? If so, I could still tolerate a season of it. Also, is anybody else starting to suspect he's actually a swarm of bees wearing a disguise?

Setoguchi is the poor man's Parise. I don't know if that means he's two-thirds the bees, or that they're unAfricanized or what. At any rate, he'll get his.

Pull Bouchard off the power play to even out the handedness? What's the point of putting someone else out there to take a shot that's no longer going to be set up?

I hate, hate pulling the goalie that early and after only two goals, but it was as much the correct I-wouldn't-do-it thing to do as picking Cullen for the shootout. Fun fact: These are not the only reasons I am not the coach. Other reasons include but are not limited to a lifetime ban in the American Beekeeper's Club.

That late 2nd period power play was beyond embarrassing. I'm surprised whoever was in the box for Chicago didn't wave off the door opening and say "Nah we're good, thanks." The only thing harder to watch was Harding getting pulled while the commentators said "MS Guy got pulled, possibly for having MS. He's had a tough MS-season, what with the MS and all. It looks like he's mad in there, but I wonder if that isn't just the MS ms-ing with him. I hope nobody in the stands catches it from him. MS MS MS."

OMG best thing I've read all day. I'm going to start saying "The top line of Koivu and Heatley is on the ice. There is also a giant swarm of african bee's. You can't really see them, but they're out there"

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I also cringed every time Zach's name was pronounced, PariSAY. He changed it back to PariSEE. National announcer dudes worked my last nerve last night when they couldn't get it right, especially after hearing our Wild announcer saying his name!

His dad is Franco-Ontarian, and spelled it Parisé, which in French would be pronounced "pah-ree-ZAY."[sup]1[/sup] Since accents aren't really used on US names, Zach dropped the é, but the pronunciation hasn't really changed a lot, except the emphasis so it doesn't sound totally ridiculous in an English sentence. Thus, we arrive at the version he listed in the 2013 Wild Media Guide, which is "pah-REE-say."

[sup]1[/sup] I'm like 90% sure on this one but my French is awful. Fel, care to help?

I had the same thought. I told my gf that I was coming around to the Minnesota way of pronouncing it (pah-REE-zee).

But then I wondered if he was Italian or French...and his dad is JP...which probably stands for Jean-Paul...and we looked it up and on Wikipedia he's listed as Parisé, which is pronounced pah-ree-SAY.

Then again, Favre called himself Farve and Byfuglien is...yeah.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I had the same thought. I told my gf that I was coming around to the Minnesota way of pronouncing it (pah-REE-zee).

But then I wondered if he was Italian or French...and his dad is JP...which probably stands for Jean-Paul...and we looked it up and on Wikipedia he's listed as Parisé, which is pronounced pah-ree-SAY.

Then again, Favre called himself Farve and Byfuglien is...yeah.

Actually...

I'm pretty sure Favre is actually a French name too, and Brett's pronunciation is a slight bastardization of the original based on a few generations of creolization in Louisiana. Try and pronounce it in French and you can sort of see how it would morph into what we get now, especially if the "ah" vowel turns into an "ar" sound.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I thought about that too....Could be that he is of Italian descent...and if so, Par-ee-zee is probably the proper pronounciation afterall going way back, and may have been changed to Par-ee-ZAY after his ancestors settled in Canada.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
Uberdachen said:
Was this Parise's worst game for the Wild? If so, I could still tolerate a season of it. Also, is anybody else starting to suspect he's actually a swarm of bees wearing a disguise?"
This had me rolling. It's the most accurate human-insect comparison I've heard in a long time.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Actually...

I'm pretty sure Favre is actually a French name too, and Brett's pronunciation is a slight bastardization of the original based on a few generations of creolization in Louisiana. Try and pronounce it in French and you can sort of see how it would morph into what we get now, especially if the "ah" vowel turns into an "ar" sound.

Dunno about wheezy but my French classes tell me it would be pronounced "Fahvr--" like you abruptly cut off the end of the word, unless the e is accented at the end, or unless the next word starts with a vowel, in which case you can pronounce the consonant as the words flow into each other...kind of like if you listen to Oasis' Champagne Supernova, he pronounces it "Supernovar" only when the next word starts with a vowel.

Europeans.

:laugh:

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
**** that, more names:

Dunno about wheezy but my French classes tell me it would be pronounced "Fahvr--" like you abruptly cut off the end of the word, unless the e is accented at the end, or unless the next word starts with a vowel, in which case you can pronounce the consonant as the words flow into each other...kind of like if you listen to Oasis' Champagne Supernova, he pronounces it "Supernovar" only when the next word starts with a vowel.

Europeans.

Yeah that's sort of what I was going for. The "vr---" turns into a "v" because the guttural "r" is subtle and hard for Americans to hear or say. Then you're down to "Fahv" and the "ah" is probably pretty nasal in French pronunciation, so it could be mistaken for a British "ar" sound and Americanized to have a hard "r" and there you go.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In non-name news, last night's game drew 827,000 viewers nationally and a NBCSN-record 83,000 in the Twin Cities.

The Wild now have Star power, and then when playing another team with Star power... they get ratings not just locally, but nationally!

Winter Classic here we come! :sarcasm:

BTW - I hope the Wild face the Blackhawks in the playoffs this year if for no other reason than to get an early jumpstart on a new rivalry in the newly formed conference which CL is expecting next season!

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
*sigh*

As someone who has actually studied French, here's my take on the debate: Take a French word, or a name. Totally **** up the half of it and fade the rest of it out. There's your short guide to pronouncing French.

You're welcome.

Here's an example: "qu'est ce que c'est?" Try to pronounce that. No, you're pretty off. Nope, still off. It's "/kɛs kə sɛ/".

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
2a3y0XW.gif

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
*sigh*

As someone who has actually studied French, here's my take on the debate: Take a French word, or a name. Totally **** up the half of it and fade the rest of it out. There's your short guide to pronouncing French.

You're welcome.

Here's an example: "qu'est ce que c'est?" Try to pronounce that. No, you're pretty off. Nope, still off. It's "/kɛs kə sɛ/".

I am by no means an expert, but i'm taking french right now and listening to this pronounciation stuff has had me rolling. I want to pitch in and say how i think some of it would be said in français, but i cant think of how to properly explain it.

But i'll just say it is very entertaining watching all this.

Just remember if you want to speak french, just dont pronounce the last letter. And sometimes not the last two. Its the quickest and easiest way to sound french and i am not lying.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

I am by no means an expert, but i'm taking french right now and listening to this pronounciation stuff has had me rolling. I want to pitch in and say how i think some of it would be said in français, but i cant think of how to properly explain it.

But i'll just say it is very entertaining watching all this.

Just remember if you want to speak french, just dont pronounce the last letter. And sometimes not the last two. Its the quickest and easiest way to sound french and i am not lying.

It's more that you stop when you hit the last vowel. That's why, for instance, you pronounce the "t" sound at the end of "une femme intelligente," but "un homme intelligent" ends with a nasal vowel sound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad