Post-Game Talk: wild @ avs 1 pm mdt | not winning for mckinning

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Anyone saying we don't have the talent to be a playoff team is flat out wrong. A good coach would be using EJ, Hejda and Barrie a ton to offset their lack of strength defensively and we've got a very good group of talent up front if they had a system to work with.

Bring Jon Cooper in over the summer, we'll be in the playoffs.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Can I ask your reasoning? I look at Edmonton and think if they would have flipped even one of those picks for a fair value return they would be a far better team today.

But admittedly, I see the Avs' roster being 2-3 NHL ready players from being a consistent playoff team for the next 6-10 years assuming the core stays intact. The Dman we need most is the hardest to obtain, and outside of Jones i don't see one in the draft that will be ready before 2014-2015.

Because this draft is absolutely insane IMO.

All of Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan have serious star potential. And there are quite a few other guys who have incredible upside. All of the named would go top 5 without a doubt in anyother year. If we got a Top 10 pick, odds are we get one of those guys.
I am beyond convinced in this draft. If Sherman trades away our 1st and does not get a superstar in return, I will be so pissed it is not even funny. The way we look now, we have a legit shot at one of the Top4.
There is no Dman available that I would trade a TOP4 pick in this draft. Not Yandle, not MDZ, not Kulikov and certainly not Gardiner (just had to add him sorry).

But this conversation is better suited in the draft thread I guess..

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Things that I hope to enjoy this season:

* Leafs either winning or losing a lot. Either outcome provides entertainment.
* Rangers losing and Tortorella being Tortorella.
* Flames doing their Sisyphus thing and ending up 9th-10th in the West.
* Detroit missing the playoffs.
* Holmgren/Schneider dabbling in the trade market.
* Avs fans and Caps fans arguing who won the Varlamov trade, Special Olympics style.
* Parenteau scoring bizarre goals.
* Columbus making a run and making the playoffs.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
On a positive note: Nice to see Duchene tied with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Vanek for 10th in points, the guy has really put it together this season, also PAP being 20th is nice too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
Anyone saying we don't have the talent to be a playoff team is flat out wrong. A good coach would be using EJ, Hejda and Barrie a ton to offset their lack of strength defensively and we've got a very good group of talent up front if they had a system to work with.

Bring Jon Cooper in over the summer, we'll be in the playoffs.

I completely agree that this team has the talent to be a playoff team, no doubt. Sacco should be applauded for preventing the team from making the playoffs - that has got to be some accomplishment. ...right?

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I completely agree that this team has the talent to be a playoff team, no doubt. Sacco should be applauded for preventing the team from making the playoffs - that has got to be some accomplishment. ...right?

Zanon, O'Byrne, O'Brien and Hunwick say otherwise.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Zanon, O'Byrne, O'Brien and Hunwick say otherwise.

EJ, Hejda and Barrie can carry the load while O'Brien, O'Byrne and Wilson get lesser minutes more ideal for their roles. People act like you need a solid 1-6 to get into the playoffs.

Has anyone see the Bruins defense?

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference, McQuaid and last year Corvo, this year Hamilton.

Our defense doesn't quite have a Chara or Hamilton, EJ and Barrie are lesser players but adequate for those roles... but we absolutely could compete in the Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference and McQuaid categories with Hejda, Wilson, O'Byrne and O'Brien.

Just give us Julien.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
EJ, Hejda and Barrie can carry the load while O'Brien, O'Byrne and Wilson get lesser minutes more ideal for their roles. People act like you need a solid 1-6 to get into the playoffs.

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference, McQuaid and last year Corvo, this year Hamilton.

Our defense doesn't quite have a Chara or Hamilton, EJ and Barrie are lesser players but adequate for those roles... but we absolutely could compete in the Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference and McQuaid categories with Hejda, Wilson, O'Byrne and O'Brien.

Just give us Julien.

Imo none of the bolded are what Seidenberg is.. they can do what Ference (esp. this season version) and McQuaid will bring and possibly Boychuk though he's been pretty good this year. But they are not at the level of Seidenberg. He's pretty close to EJ imo.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Just give us Julien.

It's just not realistic to compare the two. Chara >>> EJ to the point that it makes comparing silly. Chara is like Pronger, making everyone around him look a lot better. Seidenberg also >>> Hejda and Hamilton > Barrie.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
As much as it hurts me to compliment the Bruins, Dennis Seidenberg is one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL, he's much, much better than anyone on our sorry defense not named EJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad