Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Avs | 04/27 | Packed my bags, pre-flight, ready for some Sin City action

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Management should be looking to shore up our bottom 6 this offseason and bringing in a strong coaching staff. The draft will bring in a dynamic top 6 player.

They should explore all avenues to bring in a top 4 dman but obviously that may not be possible this summer.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Management should be looking to shore up our bottom 6 this offseason and bringing in a strong coaching staff. The draft will bring in a dynamic top 6 player.

They should explore all avenues to bring in a top 4 dman but obviously that may not be possible this summer.

We have McLeod, Mitchell, Jones, Bordeleau, Olver, Malone, Vincour and one of our centers for the bottom six.

Plus our first round pick this year. Perhaps Palushaj too.

Bottom six needs to lose weight, not gain it.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We have McLeod, Mitchell, Jones, Bordeleau, Olver, Malone, Vincour and one of our centers for the bottom six.

We have a ton of players who could slot into our bottom 6 and yet it lacks quality. We have lost a lot of defensive ability in our bottom 6 from last year, and we don't have the type of players down there that you want stepping up in the case of injury. I mean come on, Mcleod on the second line and Mitchell on the first? :facepalm:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We have a ton of players who could slot into our bottom 6 and yet it lacks quality. We have lost a lot of defensive ability in our bottom 6 from last year, and we don't have the type of players down there that you want stepping up in the case of injury. I mean come on, Mcleod on the second line and Mitchell on the first? :facepalm:

The draft pick and a healthy Downie should help that.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The draft pick and a healthy Downie should help that.

The point is that injuries are inevitable, and while your bottom 6 is never really going to be able to replace your scoring forwards, I definitely felt more comfortable with guys like McClement, Winnik, and Gali playing increased roles than John Mitchell and Cody Mcleod

Not to mention our weakness on the PK. I'd like to replace Mitchell with a guy like Boyd Gordon for example.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Gordon is a good shout. I reeeally hope he hits UFA and we snag him up. Long shot though.

Not that much of a long shot considering the uncertainty around Phoenix. Avs would need to be willing to move Mitchell though

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
The point is that injuries are inevitable, and while your bottom 6 is never really going to be able to replace your scoring forwards, I definitely felt more comfortable with guys like McClement, Winnik, and Gali playing increased roles than John Mitchell and Cody Mcleod

Not to mention our weakness on the PK. I'd like to replace Mitchell with a guy like Boyd Gordon for example.

:huh:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

I know Gali's not very good but was more suited in a complementary role than a guy like Mcleod or Mitchell. He knew his role was to forecheck and create space unlike Mitchell who seems to like playing keepaway from Duchene and PAP. He had success with Stastny and Stewart, and also has had success playing with Thornton lately. Malone can kind of do the same thing but isn't as good defensively.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I hope the Avs aren't anywhere near another lottery pick for a long time.

I hope so too, but i don't think they are ready to make the playoffs yet. I really don't see Sacco getting fired next season after everyone backed him up when they said it's not Sacco's fault, and after he was just named the team US coach.

Avs will be a lottery team for at least another year or two.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

The PK was ok after the first month and the forwards were better than the defenders generally. I think Landeskog is fantastic on the PK, O'Reilly/Stastny very good and Duchene did a very well for a first year PK forward.

If anything we need more of EJ/Wilson on the PK and less of Hunwick/Barrie.

I guess if Avs trade Stastny and let Kobasew go, some extra PK forward may be needed to keep the McLeod/Mitchell minutes down a bit.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Disappointing end to a terrible season. Varly played great, and next season is huge for him, and half this team. They're all up for new contracts. Hopefully that leads to some better performance.

EJ, Barrie, and Elliott should be the right handed defensemen next year, unless we draft Jones. Barrie seems like he wouldn't have issues on the left.

I hope they buy out Zanon.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Well...it kinda stinks that we lost since Columbus won and we would have knocked Minnesota out of the play-offs but at least we're guaranteed one of Jones, Drouin, or MacKinnon.

Lets get a completely new coaching staff, get healthy, get a good 1st round draft pick, and bring in a good defenseman from free agency.

And can you imagine if Duchene works as hard this off-season as he did last off-season? He'll be one of the best players in the league. Statistically if we had played an 82 game season he would have scored 75 points.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The PK was ok after the first month and the forwards were better than the defenders generally. I think Landeskog is fantastic on the PK, O'Reilly/Stastny very good and Duchene did a very well for a first year PK forward.

If anything we need more of EJ/Wilson on the PK and less of Hunwick/Barrie.

I guess if Avs trade Stastny and let Kobasew go, some extra PK forward may be needed to keep the McLeod/Mitchell minutes down a bit.

You just listed 4 of our 5 best forwards. I'd much rather be giving those PK minutes to our 4th line center than our best ES skaters. That's why I'd be all for getting Gordon to replace Malkin if that were an option.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
5-1...meh. Guess I wasn't meant to go undefeated.

From our seats you could see Eric Lacroix (at least that's who I thought it was), Sakic and Sherman all sitting together watching the game from the press area.

Hejduk easily got the biggest "pop" of the night. He looked rusty in the first and I think Staz was trying too hard to feed him the puck. But they settled down in the 2nd and looked...to me like the best line on the ice.

It is amazing how well ROR/Lando/McLeod work together. Hate to say it but whoever is coaching next year might want to keep that line together to start the year.

Thought Dutchy and PAP had a bit of an off game. But that's fine, they've carried us all year.

I don't buy the explanation of calling back Kobasews goal.

And yeah, we have the silver lining of getting a top 3 pick. But you could argue that, we've already had two top 3 picks and we are still roughly as bad as we were before Duchene arrived. So hopefully the 3rd time is the charm? Or do we already need to start rooting for the tank next year? I mean I know some already are but is this a group thing again? I need to know if I should be cheering or booing if we win on opening night in October.

It still sucks to watch them lose, especially a game like this when there is such finality to it. It's not as bad as losing a game 7 (I was there for the Minnesota playoff Game 7...Roy's last game). It was sad to see Hejduk pick up that puck as a loser(in this game/season).

Here's hoping whatever ownership decides to do with the Staff they decide to not break up the Dutchy/Staz/O'Money trio down the middle. We are stronger with all three than just two.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Lets see. Mitchell, Jones, and maybe Olver really don't have the defensive ability you want in your bottom 6.
Our shutdown line is our 2nd line. And I hate that.

Mitchell needs to go or atleast get bumped down to 4th line duty with Bordeleau and Malone/ Vincour but I would rather resign Kobasew and let Malone center him and Bordy.
Cody Mac aka Vice Anti-Tank-commander has convinced me that we should give him a shot at the 3rd line next year although I am not sure about his defensive ability tbh.
Maybe bump him down and get rid of Kobasew AND Mitchell if Cody is not good enough defensively (drawing a blank here tbh).
Boyd Gordon would be a good fit as a shutdown #3 C.

One of Stastny/ROR has to go next deadline. If we can not get Gordon I want a "McClement"-type as a part of the package in return.
We desperately need to get rid of the tweeners and go back to the days of Winnik, McClement and Galiardi. We need more PK prowess outside of our Top6.
Our bottom 6 is our second biggest achilles heel right now IMO.
The three scoringlines approach has failed!

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I don't think anyone from day one off-season wAnted to tAnk... I think we got on board when it became apparent we were a bottom five team. In this short season I'm completely on with us playing far worse then we're capable of and getting a huge addition out of it.

There was nothing left to cheer for, and if we all rooted for wins the disappointment would be palpable.

This was the year to do it. Next year, pedal to the floor.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I didn't know where to put this, but I think this team missed Steve Downie a lot this year. The guy plays with his heart on his sleeve and can play with talented players. If he's not put back with Lando and O'Reilly next year, I'd like to see him with Duchene and Parenteau. Hope he's healthy next year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Lol so obvious the refs were bought and paid for by the NHL I haven't seen a more obvious bias in a game since the women's gold in salt lake. Anyways I'm gonna miss the duke especially on shoot outs, Sacco using injuries again lol. Wilson sucked this yr when healthy no excuse joe be accountable like Paul McLean she could have easily used injuries as an excuse and know one would have blamed him. Sacco u are a terrible coach please never come back do the right thing and quit ur job.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
This picture is of Columbus fans watching the Avs-Wild game outside a sports bar. Kind of sad, really.

BI59Q1iCAAEY_X0.jpg:large

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This picture is of Columbus fans watching the Avs-Wild game outside a sports bar. Kind of sad, really.

BI59Q1iCAAEY_X0.jpg:large

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with Avs last night. They gave it all they had and got robbed by the refs on the Kobasew goal. Avs were very unlucky not to at least get it to OT.

If anything Columbus fans should be angry at the 'help' they got from Dallas, being outshot 37-17 and outscored 3-0 at home.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't see how anyone can have a problem with Avs last night. They gave it all they had and got robbed by the refs on the Kobasew goal. Avs were very unlucky not to at least get it to OT.

If anything Columbus fans should be angry at the 'help' they got from Dallas, being outshot 37-17 and outscored 3-0 at home.

Yeah, I definitely feel like we gave it "full effort" on the night. A couple of those shots at the end could have definitely bounced in, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad