Post-Game Talk: Wild 2 Oilers 1 in OT

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I'd play Gus again in Minny. Gives Talbot some rest in the middle of the season. Talbot's probably going to play something silly like 28 of the final 30 games. Might as well get Gus in now. If he crumbles, get LB in for a few.

I'd give Gus the starts against Minny x2, Arizona x2, Boston and maybe Ottawa between now and the end of January. That would be 6 of 30 games. A standard backup pace.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
The Trap, clogs up the ice for no flow. They also don't actually try an attack, they just counter attack, they barely forecheck.

I know you're used to watching it, so it's just normal, but it's terrible and makes the sport unwatchable. You should watch some Caps or Rangers game (not against the Wild) and you'll see what Hockey looks like.

I live in DC - I watch just about ever Caps game.

If you say that in the game last night the Wild "barely" fore-checked then I am not sure what game you were watching. The Wild had 2 fowards on the forecheck the whole game. They had F3 usually at, or below the dots. There were many times where the Wild had the puck pinned in the Oilers zone for a minute+.

Every team clogs up the neutral zone when they lose possession of the puck. Do the Oilers/Caps/Rangers not clog the neutral zone? You cannot possibly tell me that last night the Oilers left the neutral zone wide open and played man on man between the blue lines. Lets be real here.

If the Wild barely attacked how did they have 33 shots (more than the Oilers), more scoring chances than the Oilers, and he Corsi was pretty much dead even. It does not compute with your narrative.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yeah, I don't think the Wild trapped in this game.

Just because their forwards back checked harder than ours do and they clogged up the middle of the ice doesn't mean they were trapping.

Now, that being said, they never had a lead and we all know how the Wild approach a game when they have a 1 goal lead 5 minutes into the 2nd period. ;)

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, I don't think the Wild trapped in this game.

Just because their forwards back checked harder than ours do and they clogged up the middle of the ice doesn't mean they were trapping.

Now, that being said, they never had a lead and we all know how the Wild approach a game when they have a 1 goal lead 5 minutes into the 2nd period. ;)

What team in the NHL does not clog up the neutral zone? Yes, some team forecheck very aggressively and some very passively, but every team attempts to clog the neutral zone. If teams do not clog the neutral zone what do they do as an alternative in the neutral zone? Do they try and play man on man and leave the center of the ice clear for anyone that wishes to fly through?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I live in DC - I watch just about ever Caps game.

If you say that in the game last night the Wild "barely" fore-checked then I am not sure what game you were watching. The Wild had 2 fowards on the forecheck the whole game. They had F3 usually at, or below the dots. There were many times where the Wild had the puck pinned in the Oilers zone for a minute+.

Every team clogs up the neutral zone when they lose possession of the puck. Do the Oilers/Caps/Rangers not clog the neutral zone? You cannot possibly tell me that last night the Oilers left the neutral zone wide open and played man on man between the blue lines. Lets be real here.

If the Wild barely attacked how did they have 33 shots (more than the Oilers), more scoring chances than the Oilers, and he Corsi was pretty much dead even. It does not compute with your narrative.

Again, I get the desire to defend your team, but it's garbage trap hockey. They get shots because the Oilers had their own struggles and took penalties.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. They won the game and basically deserved to, but they play unwatchable hockey. Just because You don't WANT this to be the case doesn't some how change the reality.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Again, I get the desire to defend your team, but it's garbage trap hockey. They get shots because the Oilers had their own struggles and took penalties.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. They won the game and basically deserved to, but they play unwatchable hockey. Just because You don't WANT this to be the case doesn't some how change the reality.

The Wild's power play was so pathetic I doubt they had more than 2 power play shots all game.

I am not trying to be hostile - I just am trying to get an understanding of what you guys are seeing and how it is so different from what I am seeing. I am hearing boring/trap etc. but watching the game and seeing the stats, I don't understand the claims.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Sekera, Benning and Russell are the 3 dmen for the Oilers who are above water for this season so far.

Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse, not so much.

We're definitely watching different games because Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse have been 3 of our best 4 along with Russell. Sekera was bad at the beginning and has picked it up lately.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We're definitely watching different games because Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse have been 3 of our best 4 along with Russell. Sekera was bad at the beginning and has picked it up lately.

Ive seen weird comments on HFOil but that one by far takes the cake. Not sure if massive reliance on recency bias or if they just missed all the games where the bottom 3 were clear cut best D.

Anyway, overrating sheltered 2nd pairing D FTW

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Yeah, sorry Jimmi. I'll have to agree with Teppo on this one.

The old Jacques Lemaire Wild were strictly a trap team. This Bruce Boudreau Wild team plays like everyone else. Maybe they clogged up the neutral zone at times yesterday, but that's not their MO.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A regulation win last night could have been huge. Playoffs could come down to us and Minny (and Dallas/Calgary) for the wildcard spot.A regulaution loss could have been crushing as well. So I guess in then end 1 point is not so bad.Keeps us high in Pacific and on pace with Minny in wild card
makePlayoffs-conf-West-2016-12-04.png

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, sorry Jimmi. I'll have to agree with Teppo on this one.

The old Jacques Lemaire Wild were strictly a trap team. This Bruce Boudreau Wild team plays like everyone else. Maybe they clogged up the neutral zone at times yesterday, but that's not their MO.

I think "boring" vs "exciting" teams is really more about talent on the team as opposed to style of play. Teams in this era of the NHL really play similar styles especially in the neutral zone.

The Oilers are not and exciting team to watch because of their style of play - they are exciting because guys like McDavid, Draisaitl etc. are gifted with talent. McDavid is generational (IMO) and maintains his speed with the puck like nothing I have ever seen. That is what is exciting - not that the Oilers employ and "exciting" system of play.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Glad McDavid is okay. First time I've heard him swear in an interview, said the concussion protocol happened at a "****** time" and the checker must've known how he was feeling better than him. Salty, I love it.

It's kind of silly that they checked him but not the two guys that had just punched each other in the head for 30 seconds.

Inconsistent, oh well.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
This slow bleed out of the playoff race is going to kill me.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What bleeding? 3 out of a possible 4 points on a back to back against two teams that have dominated us for years is far from the worst outcome this weekend.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Not sure there is a slow bleed at all. No way we were going to be that dominant as we were in first 10. But since game 15 I believe we have been within 3 points of the Cali teams (either above or below) and maintained that for 12 games. They havent pulled away at all. Still tied for 3rd in West. Thru 27 games (which is 1/3 so pretty far on) weve played strong teams, weak team and West/East teams and are on a 94 point pace. 94 points is pretty close to playoffs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Glad McDavid is okay. First time I've heard him swear in an interview, said the concussion protocol happened at a "****** time" and the checker must've known how he was feeling better than him. Salty, I love it.

It's kind of silly that they checked him but not the two guys that had just punched each other in the head for 30 seconds.

Inconsistent, oh well.

Swearing, anger, tears, and other outburst of emotions are indicators that someone may be concussed. Basically, it's unusual behavior that is the indicator. McDavid is WAY too valuable to sweat him missing a few minutes of a game in December. EDM fans should be happy that he was taken off and checked out. Saying that he should " tough it out" is the sort of thinking that destroys careers. We're talking about a possible brain injury, FFS.

I saw a guy who landed awkwardly on his chin? And appeared shaken up and dazed afterwards. Good on the NHL, and boo on the Oilers, for not taking care of the most precious resource they've had on the team since Gretzky. What did he miss, two minutes of actual ice time?

Good point on the fighting. Unfortunately, guys like Kassian and Gabriel aren't being protected by the league.

FWIW, I thought EDM played very tough front of net D, which is something they haven't done for years. Wild were trying to get pucks in to the goalie, who was giving up rebounds, but big guys like Nino, Staal, and Coyle couldn't get loose to get them or deflect pucks. Not glamorous, but it's going to keep you close in games that in the past would be out of your reach.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think "boring" vs "exciting" teams is really more about talent on the team as opposed to style of play. Teams in this era of the NHL really play similar styles especially in the neutral zone.

The Oilers are not and exciting team to watch because of their style of play - they are exciting because guys like McDavid, Draisaitl etc. are gifted with talent. McDavid is generational (IMO) and maintains his speed with the puck like nothing I have ever seen. That is what is exciting - not that the Oilers employ and "exciting" system of play.

A little late to the party, but I'm another Oiler fan who loves offensive, exciting hockey and thinks the Wild get far too much crap for trapping when they no longer do so that often.

This hits the nail on the head, imo. Their talent just isn't that fast so they end up having to grind out things man to man rather than going for interceptions, long break out passes, and impressive dekes around guys. The Wild aren't super exciting, but it's a matter of the roster, not the system. I mean, ****, their head coach is the same guy who ran the most offense only team in the 2000s: the caps with young Ovie, Semin, Backstrom and Green.

The game was boring because we were tired and slow, and flubbing our passes. If the Oil were playing well, the Wild would have looked a lot more exciting, imo.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I've really loved RNH since he was drafted by this team. I think he was pretty good at the beginning of the season even though he wasnt scoring a ton.

But I dunno whats up with him. He seems so slow. I think his edge work is still good but he just cant get any time and space off of a rush. Seems like hes in such a funk. Wonder if his training with his brother just isnt good enough or maybe hes in a funk because Schultz and Hall left. Eberle and Pouillot arent helping him much. Poulliot used to do so much dirty work for line and it just hasnt been there this year. I think Eberle has been better without the puck this year but he just doesnt have any clutchness at all.

Overall the Oilers have been so much better this year. A lot more competitive. Just wish the second line was creating more chances.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
MIN was not sitting back at all last night. They forechecked the living crap out of EDM with guys big and small being extremely hard on the puck. The Koivu/Zucker/Granland line while not big just punked the RNH/Ebs/Pou line in terms of possession (11% Corsi-for head to head) with their aggressive forcheck. The Oilers were simply hanging on for most of the 3rd period. Kas/Maroon/Tube line did well until the 3rd when they ran out of gas.

I'm being a broken record but until RNH/Ebs learn to play with the kind of intensity that Koivu has they will be mediocre players that only shine against teams who let them wheel unmolested. Any serious team will destroy them as they simply do not have necessary intensity to match good teams who "bring it". Expect much more of this as the season gets serious after xmas - and the Oilers will either bring an equal amount of intensity every night to match the level of good teams or they will fade.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As for the Minny trap comments. They dont play a trap forecheck but they do clog up middle and play smart positionally. Maybe thats boring to us because we cant fly through the middle but it creates a good team for them. Gotta do what makes you successful

spot

Aug 26, 2007
I'd like to see Lander recalled and Puljujarvi sent down for 10 AHL games. At least Lander can be inserted in the bottom 6 without any concerns. Jesse needs to be playing 18-22 minutes in the A for a bit.

100 percent this!!!

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Take the point and onto the next one. Saying the Monster is "exciting" to watch is like saying heart attacks are okay if you don't die. And yes our second line needs to wake the fork up.

Great analogy!! I spit out my drink reading that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Swearing, anger, tears, and other outburst of emotions are indicators that someone may be concussed. Basically, it's unusual behavior that is the indicator. McDavid is WAY too valuable to sweat him missing a few minutes of a game in December. EDM fans should be happy that he was taken off and checked out. Saying that he should " tough it out" is the sort of thinking that destroys careers. We're talking about a possible brain injury, FFS.

I saw a guy who landed awkwardly on his chin? And appeared shaken up and dazed afterwards. Good on the NHL, and boo on the Oilers, for not taking care of the most precious resource they've had on the team since Gretzky. What did he miss, two minutes of actual ice time?

Good point on the fighting. Unfortunately, guys like Kassian and Gabriel aren't being protected by the league.

FWIW, I thought EDM played very tough front of net D, which is something they haven't done for years. Wild were trying to get pucks in to the goalie, who was giving up rebounds, but big guys like Nino, Staal, and Coyle couldn't get loose to get them or deflect pucks. Not glamorous, but it's going to keep you close in games that in the past would be out of your reach.

Totally agree with all these points. I was at the game and saw McD fall and land flat on his chin and the first thing that came to my mind is that he's knocked out. A bit different that having a guys fist glance off of your helmet in a fight. It was ugly, and they did the right thing. When you're getting your ass sued off in lawsuits fro concussions, I understand why your err on the side of caution and I had no problem with the decision. Tough to lose your best player in a tight game, but player safety should be paramount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad