Why Was Burke There?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He poisoned Nonis, then snuck in to sit in his chair again.

Burke was at a couple of the Leafs home pre-season games as well IIRC

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2013/10/no-time-for-big-decisions.html

Sure, Brian Burke was in the ACC on Saturday night, and you better get used to it. Burke has two small children he will be visiting regularly in the city, so he'll be at lots of Leaf games.

That doesn't mean he's scouting Reimer for Calgary. Moreover, even if he was, the Flames don't have a goalie to give and unless they plan on trading Sven Baertschi, Tyler Wotherspoon or their first round pick next June - and of course they're not - they don't have a great deal to trade at the moment.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Since when is Burke GM ?

He may not be GM but my guess is he is very deeply involved in GM duties in Calgary. How long do you think Feaster will maintain his position?

Personally I think that Burke is scouting for team USA, though he may be keeping his eyes on several Leafs...don't doubt that Burke will push Calgary to make a move should one of his favs fall out of favour in TO like Big Joe did...Reimer might become available should Bernier steal the job for instance.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They wouldnt give us Monahan for Gardiner, or their 1st.

Alternatives? Theres almost nothing on the roster worth looking at, we're not moving Gardiner for semi-decent veterans.

Itd have to be something like Jankowski+ or Reinhart+. With the + being a pretty decent piece. Gardiner has shown flashes of elite play at the NHL level. Those prospects havent, and arent projected as elite players either. Im having trouble thinking what they could add to one of those prospects to make it make sense for both sides.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I would trade Gardiner and Liles for Giordano and a 3rd.

But i doubt Calgary trades their captain after naming him a few weeks ago.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Since when is Burke GM ?

While he may not have the title of "GM" fo all intensive purposes he is, he's the head of hockey operations of the Flames which means he's in charge of all hockey related matters. Burke is the guy that tells Feaster who to get/who not to get, I doubt he tells him HOW to go about it but he defiently is the one calling the shots. I mean the first move that is made when Burke signs on is trading a 4th for Colborne, that has Burkies hands all over it.

Why was he at the game? Clearly scouting either to make a trade for the flames or scoutig for team USA.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
But i doubt Calgary trades their captain after naming him a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Da fuq? Trading one defensmen for another makes no sense, its a lateral movement at best. I'm not saying don't trade Gardiner but it better be for someone who will address our needs, the Marlies currently don't have any NHL 1st/2nd liners that is where we are weak in depth, if I'm the GM and someone wants Gardiner they best be willing to pony up a top forward prospect if not then no dice.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
They wouldnt give us Monahan for Gardiner, or their 1st.

Alternatives? Theres almost nothing on the roster worth looking at, we're not moving Gardiner for semi-decent veterans.

Itd have to be something like Jankowski+ or Reinhart+. With the + being a pretty decent piece. Gardiner has shown flashes of elite play at the NHL level. Those prospects havent, and arent projected as elite players either. Im having trouble thinking what they could add to one of those prospects to make it make sense for both sides.

Why the heck are you looking for alternatives?

It's not like we have to trade Gardiner.

mike4kix

Aug 26, 2013
Toronto
Would i get sued if i repeated that i heard he was being interviewed by a number of Toronto sportscasters? Seriously, we owe Burke a great deal of thanks for implementing his vision of how a team should be built long-term.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
It was funny because after the close-up, the players that were on ice, save from the goaltender, were ALL acquired by him.

He would still be here if he'd only got rid of Ron Wilson sooner. That was his demise.

I still like the players Nonis brought in too: Clarkson, Raymond, Bolland and bernier. Hope Raymond and Bolland get extensions.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Burke said in a press conference in Calgary last Monday that he still has five commitments out east that he needs to do. I suspect he was in the area for one of those commitments and being a person who enjoys hockey he took the opportunity to come and watch the best team in the NHL play. Go Leafs Go!!!

hockeyfanz*

HNIC showed Burke at the Leafs game tonight.

Pre-game Elliotte Friedman said teams are calling the Leafs about Jake Gardiner and the Leafs said they will move him for an equivalent prospect or prospects.

Burke brought Gardiner to the Ducks, then to the Leafs.

In my submission, Burke's ACC appearance was Jake Gardiner related.

Discuss.

He's trying to broker a Phaneuf deal...:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad