Why Vegas won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
100% accurate!

Guarantee you, had we gotten past the Knights but lost in the finals, the same three posters on here would be using that loss as their example of Maurice failing this team.

Same silly narrative through out the season, after any loss, has to be Maurices fault. Problem was the season was a massive success, so they waited patiently for us to lose to the Wild, then the Preds, thankfully they got the Knights series to fire up their silly false narrative.

Problem is the entire media mass, analytics and eye tests across the board state coaching had nothing to do with it, solid consensus it was goaltending ans days rest.

Thats just fact.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that .956 goaltending is a fact.

Call me crazy.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
No opinions on why Vegas won that haven't already been mooted in this thread, but I'm finding it hard to watch WSH play with some of the speed, skill, aggression and opportunism we saw in the Jets most of the season and playoffs -- until they hit Vegas. It does feel a bit like a perfect storm -- I'm not sure anyone but VGK was going to beat the Jets in Round 3, and I suspect we would have gone past the Caps had we survived that round intact. It does feel like something that really might have been -- and I hope we get there again, and finish the job.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Plus, I'm pretty sure that .956 goaltending is a fact.

Call me crazy.

As stated elsewhere Fleury is getting beat by a Washington team able to physically match Vegas. It's the one weakness the Jets still have amidst their skill. Especially when Lowry isn't a force. Minnesota with Suter would have been a tougher test.

The one thing to note is that Washington is a veteran team. I think Laine still has to fill his frame. And he looked overwhelmed by the pace at times.

Ehlers was pretty invisible in the Vegas series. Especially in puck battles.

Stastny was the glue. And I hope he sticks around.

Roslovic looks like a real pace pusher going forward.

Our PP was a big reason for our success. Vegas negated it well. Especially Scheifele. And I think that comes down to pre scouting and coaching.

You can say that Nashville wore us out. Fleury stole the show. It may or may not be true.

I have to say that I thought Scheifele could have set the goal scoring record if we had not made so many mistakes against a Vegas team that didn't have the star power to beat us.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
As stated elsewhere Fleury is getting beat by a Washington team able to physically match Vegas. It's the one weakness the Jets still have amidst their skill. Especially when Lowry isn't a force. Minnesota with Suter would have been a tougher test.

The one thing to note is that Washington is a veteran team. I think Laine still has to fill his frame. And he looked overwhelmed by the pace at times.

Ehlers was pretty invisible in the Vegas series. Especially in puck battles.

Stastny was the glue. And I hope he sticks around.

Roslovic looks like a real pace pusher going forward.

Our PP was a big reason for our success. Vegas negated it well. Especially Scheifele. And I think that comes down to pre scouting and coaching.

You can say that Nashville wore us out. Fleury stole the show. It may or may not be true.

I have to say that I thought Scheifele could have set the goal scoring record if we had not made so many mistakes against a Vegas team that didn't have the star power to beat us.

I agree with a lot of this, good post, as has been mentioned there isn't a single reason the Jets lost, just a matter of which ones had greater influence.

I don't think there is much doubt whether Fleury stole the show or whether Nashville wore us down though. I think it defintely effected the Jets physical play, which I don't think is really a weakness of theirs going forward.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The other team's keeper put up a .950 against us - see, Maurice is a great coach.

You have to twist yourself in knots to square that circle. Not exactly what you think of first when trying to judge / rank NHL coaches.

And if you did, it would be viewed as a negative on the coach by a lot of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegr8one66

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The other team's keeper put up a .950 against us - see, Maurice is a great coach.

You have to twist yourself in knots to square that circle. Not exactly what you think of first when trying to judge / rank NHL coaches.

And if you did, it would be viewed as a negative on the coach by a lot of people.

.950 goaltending against doesn't mean Maurice is a bad coach either.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

There you go with that "great coach" thing again.

What you really have to twist yourself into knots trying to square the circle on is painting Maurice in a negative light after this season. It makes no sense and most rational people would laugh it off.

He's not perfect, nor is any NHL coach, but he did a really good job this year and the reality is that is just too much for some people to be able to admit.

Didn't play bottom roster player A over bottom roster player B- see Maurice sucks, or my personal fave, the he didn't change tactics vague generalization- bad coach.

I was critical of Mo last season, I didnt love a lot about how the team played or how he handled some of it. Very few of those criticisms were valid this season and I had no problem eating crow about it.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
There you go with that "great coach" thing again.
What you really have to twist yourself into knots trying to square the circle on is painting Maurice in a negative light after this season. It makes no sense and most rational people would laugh it off.
He's not perfect, nor is any NHL coach, but he did a really good job this year and the reality is that is just too much for some people to be able to admit.
Didn't play bottom roster player A over bottom roster player B- see Maurice sucks, or my personal fave, the he didn't change tactics vague generalization- bad coach.
I was critical of Mo last season, I didnt love a lot about how the team played or how he handled some of it. Very few of those criticisms were valid this season and I had no problem eating crow about it.
According to JetfaninFLorida, Maurice game planned us to play at a half step slower, which obviously was the wrong game plan, lol.

There is ZERO logic in his posts, just simplistic observations on general aspects of the game, that he helplessly tries to convince us are Maurice related. We were a half step slow, well obviously Maurice’ devised a game plan that would have us a half step slower. Jets couldn’t generate high chance scoring opportunities, all because Maurice game planned us to stay on the perimeter and take shots from lower scoring chance areas.

The best one is, Fleury did not play lights out against us, rather, Maurice game planned us to take low probability shots on him, which inflated his save%.

The best JetsinFlorida could find as proof for his futile cause was 2 articles written years ago, written by two amateur publications, that Maurice is loyal to vet players. Followed up by Sips citing Maurice’s playoff history from 20 years ago.

This is all he has to proof Maurice failed us, articles written years prior, with zero relevance to today. Not only does this show his angle to be a joke, it proves he cannot find anything factual to back his claim up, that the best he can find as proof, actually makes his assessment a bigger joke than it already was.

When you ignore the positives, like finishing 2nd in the league, beating the Wild in 5, and knocking out the best team in hockey in 7 games, along with ignoring that we had a days rest while Vegas had 5 days rest heading into that series, then proclaiming that the reason we lost the series is because we were a half step slower, due to Maurice’s coaching style, well it sounds as stupid as it sounds because its plain stupidity.

Maybe Jetsinflorida can find some articles written in 1998, when Maurice failed to get the Hartford Whalers past the first round, as some sorta example of incompetence, as he must be running out of the same regurgitated examples that he has spewed in this thread for the past month. It actually would not be any worse than the pathetic examples he has used to date.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Dude, you make no sense whatsoever, like zero. Lol.

Here, let me do an impression of you:

142 shots? 142 shots is what they got on us, 142 shots = Maurice a great coach?

56% faceoff wins for the knights, does a great coach lose %56 of the faceoffs

Just irrelevant facts that have zero relevance towards defining Maurices coaching.

The only thing you are proving is you have absolutely nothing substantial to show Maurice as the reason we lost that series.

You should try to give us a quote from a hockey insider, something other than articles written in 2015, stating that coaching was the reason we lost that series.

We wait with baited breath, lol

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Why is there still a debate about this? If the opponent’s goalie plays with a save % of 95 we are going to lose. And we were worn out as well. Can’t beat a series when a goalie plays like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbraunm

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Why is there still a debate about this? If the opponents’s goalie plays with a save % of 95 we are going to lose. And we were worn out as well. Can’t beat a series when a goalie plays like that.

Its not a debate really. For that to take place, Jetsfaninflorida would require some sorta evidence to back his silly claim up.

The best he has been able to produce were articles written in 2015, about Maurice, lol, as some sort of evidence that Maurice specifically had our team playing a half step slower.

The reasons these articles do zilch to prove his claim, is because they are irrelevant and meaningless. It actually makes his claim look and sound sillier than it already is.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I feel there weren't many adjustments to counter the Vegas speed/transition. Also, the PP was also clearly not doing what it needed to and could have had some changes... like Buff net front, or KC playing in Stas' spot. Would it have made a difference if the team was as tired as they looked? Maybe, maybe not. If you look at what the caps are doing, they're stacking the blue line and making it tough for the Knights to get through. Essentially, they're doing what Nashville did to us when they had success. Playing a patience game and trusting their forwards to score when they get chances off Vegas mistakes.

Do I blame Maurice, no. But, playoffs are all about coaching adjustments and the stubbornness that paid off against NSH didn't vs Vegas.. Again, was fatigue the be-all reason for losing? We may never know.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Watching Washington play a fast physical game like we played all year, and having success.

I really think it was the physicality that was lacking in those games against vgk. As I’ve said before, it looked like actually avoided hitting in that series. I know the hitting stats don’t say that, but I’m not talking about little taps.

Maybe it was injuries or exhaustion, but that was what we were missing. We seem to get really fired up in a physical game. Really makes us play with passion. There was no passion on our part against vgk, and it really showed.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Watching Washington play a fast physical game like we played all year, and having success.

I really think it was the physicality that was lacking in those games against vgk. As I’ve said before, it looked like actually avoided hitting in that series. I know the hitting stats don’t say that, but I’m not talking about little taps.

Maybe it was injuries or exhaustion, but that was what we were missing. We seem to get really fired up in a physical game. Really makes us play with passion. There was no passion on our part against vgk, and it really showed.

Agree. Watching this Caps team, especially over the past two games, is like watching the Jets of the first two rounds. Oh, the pain of what might have been...

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Goaltending/ puck luck/ coaching/ fatigue were the deciding factors. Vegas out skated the jets. Usually the team that skates harder and faster gets more calls from the refs. Vegas is about to go down 3-1 to washington. Their cindarella story is about to end like it does for all cindarella teams. Its just too bad they took out the Jets.... a Washington vs Winnipeg finals with a chance to rest would have been an excellent series.

Next year......

Reactions: Howard Chuck

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Besides Fleury standing on his head, Jets had absolutely no puck luck or good bounces against Vegas, both of which seemed to go Vegas' way. These are noticeably lacking in the Washington series so far. In fact both luck and bounces favour Washington.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I feel there weren't many adjustments to counter the Vegas speed/transition. Also, the PP was also clearly not doing what it needed to and could have had some changes... like Buff net front, or KC playing in Stas' spot. Would it have made a difference if the team was as tired as they looked? Maybe, maybe not. If you look at what the caps are doing, they're stacking the blue line and making it tough for the Knights to get through. Essentially, they're doing what Nashville did to us when they had success. Playing a patience game and trusting their forwards to score when they get chances off Vegas mistakes.

Do I blame Maurice, no. But, playoffs are all about coaching adjustments and the stubbornness that paid off against NSH didn't vs Vegas.. Again, was fatigue the be-all reason for losing? We may never know.

The Jets PP was 25% in the series. An almost elite level PP.

They couldn't keep up because they were tired. They still had a chance to win the series if Fleury is even just above average. This bending over backwards to blame Maurice is really short sighted.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Agreed
But not coaching related
The boys went balls out and just didn’t have it.
Vegas is now in big trouble

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

This plus VGK is not getting the bounces now ... Washington makes a mistake and Vegas can't even hit the net on the turnover. I guess they finally ran out of horseshoes.

Lol ... Vegas players talking about puck luck after another lost to the Caps.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Goaltending/ puck luck/ coaching/ fatigue were the deciding factors. Vegas out skated the jets. Usually the team that skates harder and faster gets more calls from the refs. Vegas is about to go down 3-1 to washington. Their cindarella story is about to end like it does for all cindarella teams. Its just too bad they took out the Jets.... a Washington vs Winnipeg finals with a chance to rest would have been an excellent series.

Next year......

I think we would have won the cup. Pretty handsomely in fact.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
The Jets PP was 25% in the series. An almost elite level PP.

They couldn't keep up because they were tired. They still had a chance to win the series if Fleury is even just above average. This bending over backwards to blame Maurice is really short sighted.

Did you read what I said? I stated "Do I blame Maurice? No."

TBH, you're the short-sighted one if you can't see there were necessary adjustments that needed to be made.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Did you read what I said? I stated "Do I blame Maurice? No."

TBH, you're the short-sighted one if you can't see there were necessary adjustments that needed to be made.
It's so easy to jump on the adjustments mantra. One of the biggest differences you're seeing with Vegas is this series compared to the Jets series is they have constantly been playing from behind. Now it's Gallant who can't seem to make the necessary "adjustments".

Playing from behind is tough sledding in the NHL, especially in the playoffs. Teams that get this far are playing pretty soundly defensively and are committed to locking it down. We saw it against Nashville, against Vegas and now we're seeing it in this series. I have no doubt the result would have been different had the Jets been able to get something by Fleury earlier in each or the games they lost. Their record when leading into the 3rd all season speaks to this as well.

A goalie playing at a .956 level, against a team playing tight defensively with the lead, combined with zero puck luck and running low on fuel, is pretty hard to overcome. Adjustments or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce